cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inverter Generators

groundhogy
Explorer
Explorer
I had the Honda EU200i and was happy with the performance. I didn’t like having to clean the carb so many times though. It ran my smaller RV a/c just fine on eco mode. The a/c is stock with no types of easy start mods.

Its time to buy a new one.

I see a number of Yamaha units. The part numbers seem to be advancing rapidly which puts me on alert..
EF2000i
EF2000is
EF2000isV2

Then i read on some air conditioner easy start page to stick with hondas as they use a 120cc displacement versus like 80cc for the other brand 2000 watt units.
They said all generators that have a 2000 written on them are not the same.

The yamaha has the pet **** which might make it so i dont need to do the carb cleaning all the time.

Then i hear all the talk talk about harbor freight predators, but i guess you have to get the unlimited warranty?

What do you guys think?
32 REPLIES 32

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Ron3rd wrote:
groundhogy wrote:
I should come up with a snappy response to all of that negativity and self back patting.

....or come up with an explanation as to why the OP constantly has to clean his carb when nobody else is having the same problem.

Well not no one. I have to clean my EU2000i carburetor at least a few times every year. Yes I know why it happens and yes I know how to prevent it. It's purely because it sits in the garage for long periods of time before it goes out again. It just seems like I always think I'll go camping soon, and then life gets in the way and next thing I know the idle is loping again at idle. I really don't mind cleaning it all that much, it only takes maybe 15 minutes from start to finish and makes me think about camping.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Gasoline stabilizers are a farce as far as I'm concerned. Naptha, "white gasoline", should refill normal gasoline after draining and then running engine till it quits.

Adding **** to storage gasoline is insane as compared to draining and substituting pure fuel that cannot ever plug micro passages inside a carburetor. Think about this point.

Professional loggers laugh then shudder at the thought of using storage chemicals inside a five thousand dollar commercial chainsaw. It didn't take me long to switch from Mouse Milk to the real stuff for storage.

DRAIN then start the engine until it quits
Put in a half-pint
Start engine for a few seconds then stop.

RKW
Explorer
Explorer
Just keep your Honda's and maintain them at a higher standard then you've been doing.
Ryan

• 2015 Ford F250

• 2015 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8280 WS

• Dual Honda EU2000i Generators

The wages of sin are death; but after they're done taking out taxes, it's just a tired feeling.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ron3rd wrote:
groundhogy wrote:
I should come up with a snappy response to all of that negativity and self back patting.

....or come up with an explanation as to why the OP constantly has to clean his carb when nobody else is having the same problem.

There are only two reasons a carb needs frequent cleaning Or in the case of a honda 3.. The 3rd is not common.

1: Farmall had it back even before they became IH.. Right on the fuel cap was the legend "Buy Clean Fuel, Keep It Clean"

2: Modern fuel will turn to varnish if let sit too long Vintage fuel would too.....eventually (lot lot, longer)

3: Now this actually happened to me.. A fuel pump (Cam driven on a Dodge Ram and I suspect an English ford) the diaphragm started to flake off and the flakes got into the needle valve I can tell you I got darn good at roadside valve cleaning till the blasted pump finally failed completely and I replaced it.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
groundhogy wrote:
Got one yet?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
groundhogy wrote:

2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

groundhogy
Explorer
Explorer

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
pnichols wrote:
otrfun wrote:
If someone is having repeated carb problems with a Honda EU2xxx which are rectified by cleaning, odds are they need to change their maintenance habits (to include fuel stabilizers, carb drain and/or run-dry with fuel cut-off). Without a change, the problem will continue regardless of make and model of generator.
FWIW:

I've never cleaned the carb on my 30 year old Honda EX650 that we take camping for battery charging.

I use regular ethanol gas in it. It starts on 1st or 2nd pull after sitting "any amount of time" (is sat for ~2 years once, a few years ago, and still started right up). Sometimes I have Stabil in it's gas and sometimes I don't.

I guess even Honda isn't making them like they used to.
I believe you missed my point: the OP has a fuel or maintenance issue that's causing his Honda to constantly need carb cleaning. Until he identifies the source of his fuel or maintenance problem, the same issue will probably crop up with any make and model generator he chose to use. Whatever he is doing wrong, the vast majority of us with old and new Hondas are not.

Honda still makes them right 🙂

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
pnichols wrote:
It's my understanding the carburetor jets are much smaller. OP is not responding to any comments about prevention.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
My smaller Ryobi runs on propane and should never have fuel issues.
Will not run the A/C ever.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
otrfun wrote:
If someone is having repeated carb problems with a Honda EU2xxx which are rectified by cleaning, odds are they need to change their maintenance habits (to include fuel stabilizers, carb drain and/or run-dry with fuel cut-off). Without a change, the problem will continue regardless of make and model of generator.

FWIW:

I've never cleaned the carb on my 30 year old Honda EX650 that we take camping for battery charging.

I use regular ethanol gas in it. It starts on 1st or 2nd pull after sitting "any amount of time" (is sat for ~2 years once, a few years ago, and still started right up). Sometimes I have Stabil in it's gas and sometimes I don't.

2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Ron3rd wrote:
I've never heard of anyone on this forum having to clean their Honda carb frequently.
We've read the owner's manual.

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
groundhogy wrote:
I had the Honda EU200i and was happy with the performance. I didn’t like having to clean the carb so many times though. It ran my smaller RV a/c just fine on eco mode. The a/c is stock with no types of easy start mods.

Its time to buy a new one.

I see a number of Yamaha units. The part numbers seem to be advancing rapidly which puts me on alert..
EF2000i
EF2000is
EF2000isV2

Then i read on some air conditioner easy start page to stick with hondas as they use a 120cc displacement versus like 80cc for the other brand 2000 watt units.
They said all generators that have a 2000 written on them are not the same.

The yamaha has the pet **** which might make it so i dont need to do the carb cleaning all the time.

Then i hear all the talk talk about harbor freight predators, but i guess you have to get the unlimited warranty?

What do you guys think?

I've never had the need to clean the carb on my 14 year old Honda EU2000 once. I do keep Seafoam in the gas so maybe that's why.

I've never heard of anyone on this forum having to clean their Honda carb frequently.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"