Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Inverter Generators
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Inverter Generators

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
groundhogy

PA

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/19 04:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

( ... i knew i should have typed gasoline faucet!)

happy2rv

Huntsville, AL, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/07/19 05:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I opted for a Northern Tool 3000/3500 watt inverter generator. I know it's heavier and thirstier than the 2KW but I have 2 15K BTU A/C units so I was relatively sure I couldn't run either one on a 2KW even if I added an easy start kit. It might be worth considering if the extra weight isn't a deal breaker.

I got the this one on sale a month or two ago. Since I've had it such a short period of time, I can't say how it will perform long term, but I'm very satisfied so far.

There are several reasons I got that brand and model. First, I got a great deal on a short term sale they had. It was far less than a 2KW Honda, Yamaha, or even Generac. Second, Northern Tool offered and I purchased a protection plan that not only extends the manufacturers warranty, it covers accidental damage. Third, and really the deciding factor for me, they service what they sell and offer parts (try that with Harbor Freight). I'm told that I can take it to any Northern Tool and get service.

Thankfully, I don't have experience with their service because I haven't needed it, but I knew and trusted one of the small engine techs that used to work at our local store and he said they stand behind their products. Time will tell.

2018 Forrest River Salem Hemisphere 282RK - 2017 RAM 1500 TV

Previous RVs and TOADS
2004 Fleetwood Bounder 32W on WH W20
2000 Four Winds 5000 21RB
1986 27' Allegro
TOADS
2005 Ford Ranger XLT 2WD
2004 Suzuki Aerio
1988 Chevrolet Sprint

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/19 05:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'd look carefully at Champion 3400 watt with remote electric start. Or if I wished to be economical the Harbor Freight 3500 with electric start and an add on warranty.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

happy2rv

Huntsville, AL, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/07/19 06:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I seriously considered the Champion 3400 Watt Dual Fuel Gas/Propane. All of the Champion inverter generators get really good reviews. I wasn't too sure about how easy it would be to get them serviced, if necessary.

Latner

Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/19 07:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

groundhogy wrote:

I had the Honda EU200i and was happy with the performance. I didn’t like having to clean the carb so many times though. It ran my smaller RV a/c just fine on eco mode. The a/c is stock with no types of easy start mods.

Its time to buy a new one.

I see a number of Yamaha units. The part numbers seem to be advancing rapidly which puts me on alert..
EF2000i
EF2000is
EF2000isV2

Then i read on some air conditioner easy start page to stick with hondas as they use a 120cc displacement versus like 80cc for the other brand 2000 watt units.
They said all generators that have a 2000 written on them are not the same.

The yamaha has the pet **** which might make it so i dont need to do the carb cleaning all the time.

Then i hear all the talk talk about harbor freight predators, but i guess you have to get the unlimited warranty?

What do you guys think?

Get yourself a Honda 2200, has a 121cc motor and a fuel shutoff.

jjrbus

FT Myers FL

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/19 07:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have stopped all carburetor issues by using only non ethanol gas in all my small engines. When traveling and the Honda is being used all the time I will run ethanol gas in it. But last tank before putting away is always non ethanol. If not using for a while I always run the Honda dry, with non ethanol gas.

Ethanol gas has a shelf life up to 90 days, non ethanol up to 1 year!

groundhogy

PA

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/19 07:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When i clean the carb, and put excess ethanol gas in a pan, i clouds up in minutes when exposed to air.

Back to the generators...

Whats the deal with all of the different Yamaha part numbers?
EF2000isV2. $850 Approx
EF2000is
EF2000i $550 approx

TurnThePage

North ID

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/19 10:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I too just use non-ethanol gas laced with Stabil. I rarely bother to drain or clean carbs, and have yet to suffer any issues in over 20 years of that practice with lots of little engine operated goodies in the garage. My last Yamaha generator did just fine that way and so far my Champion hasn't complained.

The OP like his Honda so if I were he, I'd opt for the new 2200 and use stabil or seafoam.

2015 Ram 1500
2004 Pioneer 18T6

Rover_Bill

NE. Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/08/19 12:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

groundhogy wrote:

When i clean the carb, and put excess ethanol gas in a pan, i clouds up in minutes when exposed to air.

Back to the generators...

Whats the deal with all of the different Yamaha part numbers?
EF2000isV2. $850 Approx
EF2000is
EF2000i $550 approx

The original Yamaha inverter generator for RV use was the EF2000is. It is now on sale (originally $900) because it is a closeout item being replaced by the improved Version 2 EF2000isV2. The V2 version outputs 2000 peak watts for a LONGER time than the original before going into overload. That extra peak time will allow many 13K A/C to startup and cycle.

Yamaha also has a new EF2200iS inverter generator that comes equipped with a standard 30 amp RV plug (although a single generator will only output 2200 watts max). It's easily hooked up in parallel with another for a full 30 amp output. It only weighs 55# (like the EF2000isV2) and will run for 10 hours.

All Yamaha inverter generators come with a fuel shutoff valve so that you run the carb dry before storage. No carb cleanout/drainage required.

2015 GMC Canyon 3.6L V6 4X4 TowHaul SLE ExtCab Bronze
2016 Keystone Passport GT 2670BH
ReCurve R6 hitch, DirecLink brake controller
2005 Suzuki C50 2006 Suzuki S40

Ron3rd

Upland, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/08/19 12:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

groundhogy wrote:

I had the Honda EU200i and was happy with the performance. I didn’t like having to clean the carb so many times though. It ran my smaller RV a/c just fine on eco mode. The a/c is stock with no types of easy start mods.

Its time to buy a new one.

I see a number of Yamaha units. The part numbers seem to be advancing rapidly which puts me on alert..
EF2000i
EF2000is
EF2000isV2

Then i read on some air conditioner easy start page to stick with hondas as they use a 120cc displacement versus like 80cc for the other brand 2000 watt units.
They said all generators that have a 2000 written on them are not the same.

The yamaha has the pet **** which might make it so i dont need to do the carb cleaning all the time.

Then i hear all the talk talk about harbor freight predators, but i guess you have to get the unlimited warranty?

What do you guys think?

I've never had the need to clean the carb on my 14 year old Honda EU2000 once. I do keep Seafoam in the gas so maybe that's why.

I've never heard of anyone on this forum having to clean their Honda carb frequently.

2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Inverter Generators
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.