cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Good Sam credit card fuel limits

MURPHY55347
Explorer
Explorer
So is it a credit card thing or a gas station thing that I can only put in 25 gallons before the pump shuts off? Wells Fargo card does the same thing. Yes I know I can just hang up the pump and start another transaction, just not very convenient. This is at my local Holiday gas station.
29 REPLIES 29

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
hot rod wrote:
When the pump shuts off at the preset limit, that amount is applied to your card account and any subsequent pumping restarts the process. If you don't have enough credit limit or money in your debit card checking account to cover the station limit, your card will be denied.

I've had my card denied for the second or third pumping with $1000's of credit left on the card, so that explanation doesn't hold water. For that reason I always carry a second card when traveling

Yes, there are also many other fraud protections built into both your credit card limits and the fuel stations credit card processing software. Neither you, the fuel station or the credit card company want a thief to be able to fuel his vehicle and the vehicle of a few dozen friends. Sometimes there is a thin line between protection and convenience.

hot_rod
Explorer
Explorer
When the pump shuts off at the preset limit, that amount is applied to your card account and any subsequent pumping restarts the process. If you don't have enough credit limit or money in your debit card checking account to cover the station limit, your card will be denied.

I've had my card denied for the second or third pumping with $1000's of credit left on the card, so that explanation doesn't hold water. For that reason I always carry a second card when traveling

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
beemerphile1 wrote:
Of course the cutoff is set by the station depending on how much risk they are willing to assume. Higher volume stations could also get a higher guarantee from the card company, We aren't privy to those negotiations.
Which is the answer to the question asked by the OP, and was replied to by me and several others: the gas station sets the limits.

The station either abides by the card company limits or sets different limits.

The fact is; the issue is caused by limits set by the card company on non-signature transactions.

You don't want the limit? Take a walk into the the store and sign, then it is a different type of transaction.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
beemerphile1 wrote:
Of course the cutoff is set by the station depending on how much risk they are willing to assume. Higher volume stations could also get a higher guarantee from the card company, We aren't privy to those negotiations.
Which is the answer to the question asked by the OP, and was replied to by me and several others: the gas station sets the limits.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
beemerphile1 wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
beemerphile1 wrote:
When using a credit card without a signature the card company limits how much they will be liable for if the card is bad/stolen. Some gas companies will cut you off at that limit because anything over comes out of their pocket.
The limit the gas stations impose have nothing to do with credit card limits They are arbitrary amounts set by the stations, not the CC companies. That limits their losses in case of drive offs.

Nope, with a signature the card company accepts full risk, without a signature they limit the risk to a set amount, exceed that amount and the station can get burned.
So why do you get different limits at different stations using the same card? It's set by the stations, otherwise all stations would have the same limit on the same card, and they don't.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Edd505 wrote:
I have 2 debit cards and both shut off @ $100.00 With 40 gallon tank and 80 gallon transfer it's frequently over $200. To get around this just pay cash. Watch the cashier when you hand them 200-250 and say pump 3.

We don't ever use debit cards at fuel stations, charge card only, they have the greatest protection against fraud.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
beemerphile1 wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
beemerphile1 wrote:
When using a credit card without a signature the card company limits how much they will be liable for if the card is bad/stolen. Some gas companies will cut you off at that limit because anything over comes out of their pocket.
The limit the gas stations impose have nothing to do with credit card limits They are arbitrary amounts set by the stations, not the CC companies. That limits their losses in case of drive offs.

Nope, with a signature the card company accepts full risk, without a signature they limit the risk to a set amount, exceed that amount and the station can get burned.
So why do you get different limits at different stations using the same card? It's set by the stations, otherwise all stations would have the same limit on the same card, and they don't.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
beemerphile1 wrote:

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
I have 2 debit cards and both shut off @ $100.00 With 40 gallon tank and 80 gallon transfer it's frequently over $200. To get around this just pay cash. Watch the cashier when you hand them 200-250 and say pump 3.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
westernrvparkowner wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
beemerphile1 wrote:
It technically isn't a classic drive off, but what happens is the fuel station sends your credit card company a preset amount to determine if the card is active. They don't have a constant live feed during fueling to say "stop the pump, Fred has reached his card limit or the checking account linked to his debit card is going to be overdrawn when the next gallon of gas is pumped". When the pump shuts off at the preset limit, that amount is applied to your card account and any subsequent pumping restarts the process. If you don't have enough credit limit or money in your debit card checking account to cover the station limit, your card will be denied.

Yes very true. I use a Paypal debit often because I have some customers send money that way. Even though you may only see the $1 transaction until finalized the pump is actually performing an authorization for a predetermined max amount. So even if you are only going to put $20 in the pump basically reserves an amount say $75. If you don't have the sufficient available credit it fails. After the transaction is complete the pump captures the actual amount. This amount can be applied to your card immediately or several days later. Those that deal with credit/debit card transactions will understand the difference between a captured event or an authorized event.

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
beemerphile1 wrote:
It technically isn't a classic drive off, but what happens is the fuel station sends your credit card company a preset amount to determine if the card is active. They don't have a constant live feed during fueling to say "stop the pump, Fred has reached his card limit or the checking account linked to his debit card is going to be overdrawn when the next gallon of gas is pumped". When the pump shuts off at the preset limit, that amount is applied to your card account and any subsequent pumping restarts the process. If you don't have enough credit limit or money in your debit card checking account to cover the station limit, your card will be denied.

hot_rod
Explorer
Explorer
The lowest limit I've run into is $75 the highest $125. With 84 gal capacity it real easy to hit the limit even at $125. Just deal with it as complaining doesn't do any good. Yes it is the station not the card that imposes the limit

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
If it helps, we have the RV plus card with Pilot/Flying J. The limit on that is pretty high (I think it depends if you link a bank account or not). The Good Sam gives us a nice discount from the advertised price.

It lets us start the diesel pumps around back without having to go in.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
They DRIVE OFF after they have run an unauthorized CREDIT CARD. Ya know...fraud. Not the same as driving off without paying at all, but it limits the stations' losses.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"