cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Water in furnace bay

gargoyle158
Explorer
Explorer
This one has been driving me nuts for a while now and I havent found a solution nor anyone else posting about it. I have a 2008 Damon Challenger 37 foot. On the port side is the Atwood 8500. Whenever we get a good rain the floor tray in the furnace fills with water, 1/8 inch or better. This shorts out some part of the electronics, furnace won't start. I get the blower and a spark and the burner fires for 15 seconds or so and then stops and recycles 2 more times and we're done. I dry it out with rags and paper towels, hairdryer and normally I get lucky and she will start. I am tempted to drill a whole in the bottom so water drains. I have redone the weather seal twice and it still fills with water. Anyone got any ideas ?? By the way, it is all original parts.
7 REPLIES 7

gargoyle158
Explorer
Explorer
I filled in the old gasket with new foam several months ago. There is nothing above the furnace and it only fills during a hard rain. Below the furnace is the generator so kind of iffy on drilling a hole. Also the particle board they use for subfloor in these things makes me l
eary of running water through it. My best guess right now is the cover has a flat grate around the blower exhaust which is probably the culprit. So probably going to look at some kind of hillbilly fabrication to add louvers.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ours did that! It was leaking in from the rooftop refrigerator vent, running down to the outside compartment, flooding it and then running down into the area below the furnace. We used Etrnabond Tape and sealed everything on the roof.

jeeperdude10
Explorer
Explorer
DC&MC, that is exactly what I did as well. Bought some 1/4 inch peel em stick em weather stripping and followed the indentations of the factory foam "gasket' and screwed the plate back on. Since 3 years and several heavy rains, no issues.
2016 Bounder 35K
2014 Freedom Edition JEEP Unlimited
Traveling thru this great country

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Is your furnace under your refrigerator or any other thing that has water fed to it or develops water from condensation?

DC_MC
Explorer II
Explorer II
A couple years ago we were in a spot with high winds on the furnace side. Winds were pushing water in around the outside panel where the furnace vents. We removed the screws and the panel and reinstalled it using some insulating tape. Hasn’t leaked in again.
2006 Mandalay 40E motorcoach
2017 Ram PU
2017 Harley Road King
Home base Yuma AZ

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
What would happen if you put a 1/8 or 3/16 hole there for drainage until the solution can be found. My Essence had the same problem, but only a few drops.
That problem now belongs to another fellow with pretty good mechanical ability.
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
Have someone spray the side of your HM (above the furnace not right at it) with a garden hose while you look inside to see if you can tell where it's getting in.
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System