Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: FIBERGLASS campers ??
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> FIBERGLASS campers ??

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
trx680

VA

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/19 03:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Who here has a fiberglass camper and what is your take on it?
why did you buy it over a regular camper?
What do you like and dislike about it?

midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/19 03:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

#1 less places for water to leak in, #2 less air intrusion.

K Charles

Connecticut

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/07/19 03:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have had to "regular campers" and they were both fiberglass. We got them because every TT that we looked at was made that way. I don't know if I get the question but the last one had two slideouts and a rear living room, they were the main reason we got it.

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/19 03:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

is your question the difference between fiberglass and aluminum?
bumpy

trx680

VA

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/19 03:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I say a fiberglass I mean a Scamp.
https://tse1.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.6mpVQ........1sWmgFBlev8gHaEJ&pid=Api&P=0&w=327&h=184

When I say regular camper I mean.... a dutchman

https://tse1.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.83EKE........2JI3eYy3ABjQHaEO&pid=Api&P=0&w=319&h=183

rbpru

North Central Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/07/19 04:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What you are referring to is typically referred to as an egg or shell camper.

We looked hard at these but no slide and too small for two adults and a 70 lb. Dog.

Generally lighter in weight with fewer seams they get good reviews from their owners. But they were too small and tight for us.

We own an old school stick and tin (aluminum) 2010 model with over 40,000 miles on it.

Basically you buy the floor plan you want. It is your biggest concern.

Good luck

Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

Lwiddis

Lone Pine, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/07/19 04:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I didn’t consider a Scamp because they don’t have slides.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2019 Chevy Silverado LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - old MOS 1542 & 1560.

WNYBob

Tonawanda, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/07/19 04:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a Dutchman type camper with "fiberglass" sides. Most are built with a skin (and I mean thin) layer of fiberglass glued and pressed on to a luan type backer (which is wood). If moisture (humidity or water) gets to the wood the fiberglass pops off in what they call delamination. If you get delamination you have lost thousands in value of your RV.
A few use ANSDEL backer for the fiberglass, which is water resistant.

JG

Williamsburg, Virginia, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/17/19 01:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When we looked at RV's we looked a class A, B & C & Trailers. We were worried about spending money & having poor quality & problems. So we accidentally found Fiberglass Trailers. They are ordered directly from the factory. The build quality is very good & they hold there value. Canada has several Fiberglass & regular Trailers that you can order from the factory. Taylor Coach for example. We ended up for us it is just 2 retired people and a dog the Casita Fiberglass Trailer. It tows very easy. Weight is 2800 pounds. Look at Oliver, Scamp, Big Foot ( They have a fiberglass 5th wheel. ) and others. Good luck

2019 Casita Liberty
2015 Chevy Truck
Wonderful wife since 1969

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/19 02:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JG wrote:

When we looked at RV's we looked a class A, B & C & Trailers. We were worried about spending money & having poor quality & problems. So we accidentally found Fiberglass Trailers. They are ordered directly from the factory. The build quality is very good & they hold there value. Canada has several Fiberglass & regular Trailers that you can order from the factory. Taylor Coach for example. We ended up for us it is just 2 retired people and a dog the Casita Fiberglass Trailer. It tows very easy. Weight is 2800 pounds. Look at Oliver, Scamp, Big Foot ( They have a fiberglass 5th wheel. ) and others. Good luck

when I was looking, I went to the Casita factory in TX and rather liked their bathroom layout compared to the scamp. to get a full height coat closet you needed to get the roof AC unit, not the lower one that was located at the bottom of the closet area. had a small table on the side with two swivel chairs and you could leave the dinette made up as a bed full time if desired.
bumpy

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> FIBERGLASS campers ??
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS