cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Goodbye and experience of selling via camping world

cencerrita
Explorer II
Explorer II
First off it has been a great 4 to 5 years in our Majestic 27G ex rental Cruise America.It was a good decision to have brought it to travel in the US first from our home in Spain and then later our home in the UK.
When we came to sell having no US base we ended up using Camping World Portland Oregon. They sold it after about 4-5 weeks but we do have the following comments -
They offered us a very low price for an outright sale 66% of what we got and as leaving the country not to return the wife thought at first we would have to do this. When we sat down with them over their shoulder i saw the dealer NADA price trade in for retail. This was way in excess of the offer. They had another dealer with them at the time and he was going to buy it straight off them to sell on . We saw the nods of agreement between them as they looked at the computer screen. This confirmed what i felt that we would leave it on their forecourt to sell.
We left a lot of extra equipement in the RV which was worth a lot of money to anyone buying it and we thought it would make the sale a very good buy. We could not understand why on their online adverts they did not add any of this and the features part was left completly empty. We had added a solar installation, tank and trace heating and many other items. The only thing they did was alter it from a E350 to a E450 when we complained via email - never any reply from them.
Having left the Rv we had no further information from them until one day through the post we received a cheque for the amount agreed for a sale. This in itself caused us a problem as we had to post it back to our bank in the US. The agreement had been we would give them the bank details and they woiuld pay direct into our account.
The overall selling experience we found poor particularly with the lack of communication.At the end of the day it was sold quickly and we have now purchased ourselves a European 21ft caravan (travel trailer) for exploring Europe and the Nordic counties.

I hope whoever brought our RV has a great time and got all the extras including lots of tools i stashed away under seats. I have kept my eye open in the forum since July when our sale was done to see if there was any newbie who had bought it, but no posts spotted.
www.cencerrita.comNow living in Pembrokeshire, Wales, UK. See our web site for US travels and books www.cencerrita.com
6 REPLIES 6

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
When you sell an RV, any "extras" you leave with the unit does not increase the sale value at all. Mostly, folks leave that type of stuff with a selling RV because they have no other way to get rid of it, or time is of the essence. So, as an incentive for a firmer sale, folks will leave stuff. But it still adds no greater value.

No doubt, the buying dealership took the extra "stuff" and discarded it, or used it as a free give-away on your old unit, or someone else's unit. If you left tools behind, more than likely they were attricioned into the dealership repair shop and never left the building. Once the RV was sold, it was out of your hands. They could do anything they wanted with it, even tear it down and resell it one screw at a time if they wanted to.

About your selling price. You agreed to the selling price. It makes no difference what the buyer was haggling behind the scenes with another buyer. Once the dealer offered the price and you accepted, at that point, it didn't matter who or what ended up with the unit.

About price, dealerships need to make a profit. Yes, they "buy low and sell high." That's how they make their money. Again, what negotiations they make among themselves is outside your deal. We traded our prior truck to a dealership and they gave us $18,000 for it in trade in value. One week later, we saw it in the lot for $30,000. I have no clue if it actually sold for that. I was a little pi$$ed over that, but then had to come back to reality and realize we had a meeting of the minds and I accepted the $18,000 price. After that, it was theirs. I had nothing to be envious over.

So, bottom line is, ... it is what it is. You got your agreed money for the sale of your RV. That's all that should matter.

cencerrita
Explorer II
Explorer II
Vw triker wrote:
I have my doubts the a lot of the extras made it to the new buyer, I used to work at a Harley shop years ago. The owner would buy used full dressers, strip them down and sell them, the new owner would eventually come back looking for this or that( faring, fiberglass sattlebagges chrome parts, etc.) Said he could only sell the bikes for so much, with or with out the parts, he made good money on the extra parts, such as some one looking for a certain part, oh I just happen to have that, turns out it the same color you need, I can sell you plain white for this much, or matching paint for THIS much. He had a pretty good business.

So do we. We gave a lot away to charity, left a lot near rubbish collection bins at a Army Corp big site for people _ outside chairs, stools etc ok if you are poor and just needed a good clean up. Went to pawn shop which was a waste of time as well allowing for fuel cost to get there.
www.cencerrita.comNow living in Pembrokeshire, Wales, UK. See our web site for US travels and books www.cencerrita.com

Vw_triker
Explorer
Explorer
I have my doubts the a lot of the extras made it to the new buyer, I used to work at a Harley shop years ago. The owner would buy used full dressers, strip them down and sell them, the new owner would eventually come back looking for this or that( faring, fiberglass sattlebagges chrome parts, etc.) Said he could only sell the bikes for so much, with or with out the parts, he made good money on the extra parts, such as some one looking for a certain part, oh I just happen to have that, turns out it the same color you need, I can sell you plain white for this much, or matching paint for THIS much. He had a pretty good business.

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
I have been an RV'er, flamenco and classical guitar lover since the 1960's. My first favorite was Sabicas but there have been many.

Andalucía is a great center of Spanish culture, food and entertainment. Best wishes.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, it would be interesting to read about European RVing.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
So sad to see you go,you made a lot of useful comments over the years on the Rental Thread thank you for that they will be missed.

I hope you will continue to be a member of the forum and share your experiences as you travel thru Europe and the Nordic counties.

Safe travels and good luck on the coming adventures.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C