cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Florida turnpike or I-95??

AikenRacer
Explorer
Explorer
Went to the keys earlier this year, took the turnpike. Several areas, I could see I-95 and it did not look any more crowded than the turnpike. The turnpike fee was $55 for my rig which isn't a big deal but which is the best and less crowded route going to the keys on the east coast,,???
2012 Tuscany 42RQ tag
2005 Silverado 2500 w/ piggy back golf cart
8 REPLIES 8

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
When built in 1957 the turnpike would be free in 15 years. Granted originally it only went to FtPierce. 5 years ago they added 2 lanes to 95 each direction in Palm Beach county (5 lanes instead of 2 on the Tpike) so I recommend staying on 95 until I-75 in Ft Laud and then get on it saving $$.
Northbound my personal boycott is to use 95 to Vero and then 60 to YeeHaul but instead of getting on there I use 441 and finally get on in Kissimmee.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
rwess wrote:
A few years back there was a lot of crime affecting tourists while traveling on I-95 in Miami. At that time they told all tourists/people passing through to use the Turnpike due to safety.

I do not know if they cleaned up the problem at that time, but I would avoid I-95 in Miami like the plague!

Oh yeah I recall that. The criminals would take an old junker out on 95, pick a likely victim and rear end them to get them to pull over. Criminal activity would then ensue. I think the police were telling people to drive the nearest police station in case of minor accidents w/o stopping.

Or as a variation they would get in front of some prosperous looking victims, slam on the brakes and then get rear ended. Where upon they would all have 'whiplash'
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

rwess
Explorer
Explorer
A few years back there was a lot of crime affecting tourists while traveling on I-95 in Miami. At that time they told all tourists/people passing through to use the Turnpike due to safety.

I do not know if they cleaned up the problem at that time, but I would avoid I-95 in Miami like the plague!
rwess
USN Ret.
2017 Open Range 216RBS
2010 Chevy 2500HD Z71 4x4 LT

accsys
Explorer
Explorer
When we lived in Key West several years ago we always took the turnpike up to the Jupiter toll plaza where we got off and took 95 the rest of the way north. That seemed to avoid the heaviest congestion on 95.
John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2017 Cedar Creek Cottage 40 CCK
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams

AikenRacer
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks,,,,I'll stick with the turnpike
2012 Tuscany 42RQ tag
2005 Silverado 2500 w/ piggy back golf cart

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
The other problem with 95 is that there are people driving old junk trucks filled with scrap metal that can’t or won’t pay to drive on the turnpike.

I’ve driven 95 a bunch in S Fl and it’s exciting to change lanes to pass a semi and find an innerspring mattress in the road.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

a few years back we went to the Keys and before we did, we asked a lot of questions... EVERYONE who answered told me to jump off 95 aroundFt. Pierce and run the turnpike...

sometimes you have to pay a little to save a lot... this time, that savings would be time in the long run..
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
95 IIRC ends inside Miami where you can spend an hour to go one mile or less. So you need to decide what your time and stress levels are worth to you. Maybe you could take 836 west from 95 to the FTP and that should reduce the charges. Tho I spent years in Miami as a kid I'm not that familiar with current conditions, and don't want to be either. But we did try getting off the FTP to go to Crandon park on A1A and that was something I won't forget soon. That was several years ago. It was the worst traffic I've ever been in.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper