cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dish newbie

klr650goldwing
Explorer
Explorer
We recently bought a used 5er with a dish mounted on the roof. This dish folds up for traveling. I know nothing about this system, but just recently subscribed to the dish network. This coming Wednesday morning the dish people will come out and install the system on our house and show us how to use it on the trailer. What are the odds the installer will know how to work the dish on the 5er? Will they have a manual they will leave with us etc.? Are there any specific questions I should ask?
2014 Grand Design Solitude 369RL
2017 F350 6.7 DRW CC LB 4X4
2012 Mercedes E550
2010 Honda Civic
2009 Saab 93 Aero Convertible
2004 Honda Goldwing GL1800
2004 Kawasaki KLR650
1966 Honda 305 Dream
14 REPLIES 14

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
klr650goldwing wrote:
The parts are on BO so who knows when they will be available.

This Amazon link says they have some in stock.
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35โ€™ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41โ€™ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31โ€™ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

klr650goldwing
Explorer
Explorer
The parts are on BO so who knows when they will be available.
2012 Mercedes E550
2010 Honda Civic
2004 Kawasaki KLR650
1966 Honda 305 Dream

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
If you have Amazon Prime and order right away, you could have the kits before you leave and do the conversion at an RV park.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

klr650goldwing
Explorer
Explorer
Turns out our satellite system on our 5er is for a direct tv system. We want a dish system in our house and trailer. Winegard says we can make our Travler to be Dish compatible by adding RP-SK21 and RP-SK11 parts. We are leaving this Sunday on a 7 week trip to DC and we were hoping to get Dish up and working before we left, but that isn't going to happen. Thanks for your help.
2012 Mercedes E550
2010 Honda Civic
2004 Kawasaki KLR650
1966 Honda 305 Dream

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
rk911 wrote:
i always forget about the โ€˜how toโ€™ videos on YouTube.
If it's something you want to do, chances are many other people have done it and posted about it. And you can also ask them questions. It's amazing. I recently learned how to wash gravel, and clean a bong.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
When we went from directv to dish the installer put the dish box in the living room, the Joey in the bedroom and our vip211 in the MH and made all three work.

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
You could probably find a lot of stuff on youtube.

thatโ€™s an excellent idea. i always forget about the โ€˜how toโ€™ videos on YouTube. Billโ€™s advice to raise the sat dish and see which birds it finds is also spot on. be sure youโ€™re dish is clear of trees to the South/Southwest. The โ€˜Dish For My RV Appโ€™ is useful for
determining if your dish can see the sats.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
You could probably find a lot of stuff on youtube.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
I called Dish to activate my Wally with a Playmaker carryout dish. The Technical support guy asked repeatedly about getting the carryout installed, totally clueless. He finally kicked it up to a manager to get the simple activation done.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Go ahead and deploy the antenna. It will lock on even without the receiver installed. Now, take a picture of the antenna while raised and post here so we can see what you have. You can also use the controller to raise the antenna and when you start it up it will have a message about the antenna. When it's locked on it will either have *101, *119, 110 (DirecTV) or *119, *110, *129 (Dish Network). If you are lucky and it's a Dish antenna then you can leave the antenna up, let the installer install and life will be good. If it's not a Dish antenna, call and stop the installation as you are going to need to order $300 worth of parts from Winegard and either install them or find an RV professional (not a Dish Network guy) to install them.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
โ€œWhat are the odds the installer will know how to work the dish on the 5er?โ€œ

Very high. Let us know if he/she does know.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
lryrob9301 wrote:
The odds are 0 that the installer will know anything about the RV system. I would bet they will not even touch the RV installation, and tell you to take it somewhere to have the equipment installed.

well, not zero but not great. iโ€™ve run across some with RV experience. but your first hurdle is determining if the sat dish is DISH of DTV.
Rich
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

lryrob9301
Explorer
Explorer
The odds are 0 that the installer will know anything about the RV system. I would bet they will not even touch the RV installation, and tell you to take it somewhere to have the equipment installed.

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
you likely have a Winegard Trav'ler sat dish. your immediate issue is if the Trav'ler is rigged for DISH or DirecTV. any clues from the previous owner like paperwork, manuals, etc? worst case if it is rigged for DTV it can be converted to DISH. there should be a control box in one of the overhead cabinets. manuals are online. reach out if you have other questions
Rich
'10 Jeep Liberty KK