cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Towing

Larrysr1957
Explorer
Explorer
My question is has anyone pulled a full size pickup with a 35 ft gas motor home I have a 1997 Fleetwood Bounder 34V with a Ford 460 engine and my tow limit is 3500 lbs my truck is 4900 lbs.
34 REPLIES 34

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
4x4van wrote:
The OP also never clarified where his stated "tow limit of 3500 lbs" came from? Is that simply the difference between his GVWR and GCWR? If so, he could easily tow more if his MH weighs in at less that the full GVWR, as long as his hitch setup is up to the task, particularly 4-down.

Yes the OPer can tow more than his towing limit if he is under the GCWR and if the hitch is rated for 5000 lbs

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
The OP also never clarified where his stated "tow limit of 3500 lbs" came from? Is that simply the difference between his GVWR and GCWR? If so, he could easily tow more if his MH weighs in at less that the full GVWR, as long as his hitch setup is up to the task, particularly 4-down.
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
From the usual "EXPERTS".

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
way2roll wrote:
OP never came back to the post. Curious what happened.
The one thing that happened, was that he got very few answers to his question of.....My question is has anyone pulled a full size pickup with a 35 ft gas motor home I have a 1997 Fleetwood Bounder 34V with a Ford 460 engine and my tow limit is 3500 lbs my truck is 4900 lbs.?.....
What he did get was a lot of everything else, including legal counsel and one even said that he had answered his own question.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
OP never came back to the post. Curious what happened.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

Trumpet_Player
Explorer
Explorer
timmac wrote:
Trumpet Player wrote:
RLS7201 wrote:
Ford rated your 17,000lb F53 chassis to tow 8,000lbs. Fleetwood derated your chassis when they installed frame extensions and installed a 3500lb receiver. If you take a look at the installation of the frame extensions, it may scare you. Have those frame extensions beefed up and add a 5000lb receiver and you'll be good to go with that truck.

Richard

Unfortunately, the recommendation to "beef up the frame extensions" is frankly one really bad piece of advice.

As most probably know, the required federal certification sticker as issued by the completed vehicle manufacturer sets the maximum limits allowed for each vehicle. The fact is, if you were over the allowed gross combined weight (as you would be based on your description), having the modifications made as recommended above would actually work against you, if God forbid there were to be an accident. See, a first year law student could present the idea that clearly you knew you had an over capacity/weight issue and you attempted an unapproved modification to try and compensate for the conditions. That would then be turned on you to prove gross negligence on your part. You would also likely see your insurance carrier wash their hands of any liability coverage as a result.

Sorry, that is just the way it works. I have testified many times on issues like these as a SME (Subject Matter Expert) and seen it happen.

Beefing up the rear frame and adding a 5000 lb hitch on a chassis that is rated for up to 8000 towing is not a bad idea in my book, just make sure you have good toad brakes, safety chains, etc and I don't see a issue, I would only limit the towing to 5000 lbs..

I towed 6800 lbs behind my beefed up motorhome for over 3 years no issues..

When a drunk driver has a accident the insurance company is still on the hook even though the drunk driver knew he was in the wrong..

You really need to read the exclusions that are detailed in your contract/policy with your insurance carrier. You need to take a look at your contract/policy for its defined "exclusions" of coverage. You might look for the exclusion that states something to the effect of "bodily injury or property damage reasonably expected to arise out of an intentional act." Reasonably expected would include exceeding certified posted limits. An intentional act would clearly include the really bad idea of attempting an unapproved modification. You think that these insurance companies spend the time and money they do having 60 or so pages drawn up by their staff attorneys so they don't cover themselves? Think again.
2012 American Coach Revolution

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
Trumpet Player wrote:
RLS7201 wrote:
Ford rated your 17,000lb F53 chassis to tow 8,000lbs. Fleetwood derated your chassis when they installed frame extensions and installed a 3500lb receiver. If you take a look at the installation of the frame extensions, it may scare you. Have those frame extensions beefed up and add a 5000lb receiver and you'll be good to go with that truck.

Richard

Unfortunately, the recommendation to "beef up the frame extensions" is frankly one really bad piece of advice.

As most probably know, the required federal certification sticker as issued by the completed vehicle manufacturer sets the maximum limits allowed for each vehicle. The fact is, if you were over the allowed gross combined weight (as you would be based on your description), having the modifications made as recommended above would actually work against you, if God forbid there were to be an accident. See, a first year law student could present the idea that clearly you knew you had an over capacity/weight issue and you attempted an unapproved modification to try and compensate for the conditions. That would then be turned on you to prove gross negligence on your part. You would also likely see your insurance carrier wash their hands of any liability coverage as a result.

Sorry, that is just the way it works. I have testified many times on issues like these as a SME (Subject Matter Expert) and seen it happen.

Beefing up the rear frame and adding a 5000 lb hitch on a chassis that is rated for up to 8000 towing is not a bad idea in my book, just make sure you have good toad brakes, safety chains, etc and I don't see a issue, I would only limit the towing to 5000 lbs..

I towed 6800 lbs behind my beefed up motorhome for over 3 years no issues..

When a drunk driver has a accident the insurance company is still on the hook even though the drunk driver knew he was in the wrong..

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
Larrysr1957 wrote:
My question is has anyone pulled a full size pickup with a 35 ft gas motor home I have a 1997 Fleetwood Bounder 34V with a Ford 460 engine and my tow limit is 3500 lbs my truck is 4900 lbs.

You can upgrade the hitch and the frame extension to the back of motorhome to safely tow 5000 pounds, my 08 Bounder was modified in back to tow up to 7500 lbs from the factory 5000 lbs or you can get a newer motorhome that tows 5000 lbs.

I am also wondering if that older 460 and older trans can handle the extra weight and what about the brakes, I have a 2018 Toyota Tacoma ext cab that weights 4000 lbs, might consider a smaller truck..

Richert
Explorer
Explorer
you answered your own question, you will be towing 1400 lbs over your limit!!!!!

Dont do it.
Blake
2019 Sunseeker
2012 Jeep Wrangler Toad
Wife in passenger seat.

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
dodge guy wrote:
FloridaRosebud wrote:
Trumpet Player wrote:
tropical36 wrote:
gswcgi wrote:
If you get into an accident while towing that much over your weighted limit your insurance company will probably tell you to get lost !!

Granted, they may tell you to get lost, if they even have a clue as to weight being a factor or for maybe not wanting to renew your policy next time, but they will have to pay, regardless.

"...but they will have to pay, regardless." I wouldn't be so sure about that. Have you ever read your contract/policy with your insurance carrier? Most people don't and that can be a GIANT mistake. You need to take a look at your contract/policy for its defined "exclusions" of coverage. You might look for the exclusion that states something to the effect of "bodily injury or property damage reasonably expected to arise out of an intentional act." Reasonably expected would include exceeding certified posted limits. You think that these insurance companies spend the time and money they do having 60 or so pages drawn up by their staff attorneys so they don't cover themselves? Think again.

Unfortunately, Trumpet Player is correct. I work for insurance companies as an engineering consultant, and I can not tell you how many times I've seen claims turned down because of willful negligence on the insured.

Al

You mean like knowingly speeding or turning right on red?

I think he means like knowingly being about 1,400 lbs over weight.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

Trumpet_Player
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
FloridaRosebud wrote:
Trumpet Player wrote:
tropical36 wrote:
gswcgi wrote:
If you get into an accident while towing that much over your weighted limit your insurance company will probably tell you to get lost !!

Granted, they may tell you to get lost, if they even have a clue as to weight being a factor or for maybe not wanting to renew your policy next time, but they will have to pay, regardless.

"...but they will have to pay, regardless." I wouldn't be so sure about that. Have you ever read your contract/policy with your insurance carrier? Most people don't and that can be a GIANT mistake. You need to take a look at your contract/policy for its defined "exclusions" of coverage. You might look for the exclusion that states something to the effect of "bodily injury or property damage reasonably expected to arise out of an intentional act." Reasonably expected would include exceeding certified posted limits. You think that these insurance companies spend the time and money they do having 60 or so pages drawn up by their staff attorneys so they don't cover themselves? Think again.

Unfortunately, Trumpet Player is correct. I work for insurance companies as an engineering consultant, and I can not tell you how many times I've seen claims turned down because of willful negligence on the insured.

Al

Dodge Guy,

I believe that turning right on a red light after coming to a complete stop is legal in most states unless posted otherwise. But if you are concerned, you might want to check your local state driver's handbook? Also, if traveling out of state, you might want to check the laws of the states in which you plan to travel.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
FloridaRosebud wrote:
Trumpet Player wrote:
tropical36 wrote:
gswcgi wrote:

Al

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

FloridaRosebud
Explorer
Explorer
Trumpet Player wrote:
tropical36 wrote:
gswcgi wrote:

Al

Trumpet_Player
Explorer
Explorer
tropical36 wrote:
gswcgi wrote: