cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AC Problems, Solutions?

SMarquez
Explorer
Explorer
Was in Golden, CO and Santa Fe, NM. last week. We tried to use the AC, a Dometic Quick Cool, non-ducted, 13.5k btu unit. Trailer is a 23' WW Super Lite. The AC iced up after abut 40 minutes.
I had checked the coils and they seemed clean. It seems like it wouldn't cycle. I had to switch it to fan to get it to defrost and then could use it again. The outside air temp was middle 90s.
I realize I don't have a great trailer in regards to insulation but it should have done better than that.
I did the internet and youtube searches but couldn't find anything beyond try cleaning the coils. I know there is a sensor wire or thermistat in the intake, do those go bad? Is it replaceable? I know these units are sealed but has anyone had taps installed to service the unit? Will shops service it? If so, is there a shop anyone would recommend in SoCal for this service? Is it time for a newer more efficient? Will a 15k unit be any better for cooling?
Thanks,
Steve
3 REPLIES 3

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
two things cause icing. Low charge or low air flow/too cold. Low air flow is caused by plugged coils or grilles/filter; assume you've checked that from your post. Too cold air is caused by air short circuiting from the supply to the return as mentioned by Chris. when you remove both covers and see the blower look around and make sure all the baffles are in place and sealed, look for gaps where the air can get from one side of the blower to the other (short circuit). This is a VERY common problem. It's possible there's a low charge but doubtful, if there's a leak it will probably be flat and it wouldn't freeze up. You can check for obvious leaks by removing the outer cover and looking at the coils and pipe for oil.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

SMarquez
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Chris, if I don't feel cold air, where do I go from there?

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
Check the unit for recirculating air- turn it on, let it get cold, and carefully stick your hand up in the air return and feel for cold air.
-- Chris Bryant