cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Lock in center of my bunk doors?

SHOBrad
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all, newcomer to the forum and only been camping a few times. I have a 2003 R-vision Trail-lite Bantam with front a back folding bunks. The bunks are held closed on each side by a screw lock but there is also what looks like a cam lock in the center but the paw and whatever insert it had are gone on both. It looks like a good idea for holding the center tight against the seal but I could also see the paw digging into the canvas if you were not careful. Anyone know what used to be here? I wouldn't mind putting something back for better sealing while it's stored over the winter.
Thanks in advance!
Brad

P.S. It's at the top center of the front bunk door shown in the pic.

9 REPLIES 9

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to the forum. I own similar rig to yours. The paw fastens onto the cam lock top held in place by a screw. You will note the center hole is threaded. Does the rear bunk have a paw? If so go to a lock smith and match it up. I did this as my front paw came off while loading kayaks through the big bed door. For security purposes I lock mine. It is more safety concern for the rear bunk as it could open and you would not know. Happy Trails amego
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)

DkCreative
Explorer
Explorer
That center lock isn't manufacture approved. It was added afterward. I think its to add more security.
Owner of a 26 ft Okanagon Ultralight
https://itsurvive.comItSurive
https://airbnbuniverse.comAirbnb Universe

All_I_could_aff
Explorer
Explorer
My 99 has it front and rear. On mine, the mechanism looks muck like the lock on the side storage compartment... just a tab of metal that turns 90 degrees with the key and engages a slot.
1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollinโ€™ on 33โ€™s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
Never saw that on a Jayco. Our previous hybrid was a n '03 Jayco that had the screw clamps.
Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

Bert_Ackerman
Explorer
Explorer
bikendan wrote:
Wow, don't remember seeing that on the Bantam or Trail Cruiser hybrids we looked at, back in 2005 when we were shopping for a hybrid.
We had a R Vision dealer in our town and were the only RV dealer with hybrids.
Was that a feature for certain years on R Vision hybrids?

Manufacturers made mid model year changes then the same as today. Sometime around 2005 or prior, the screw clamps went by the wayside in favor of the cargo type latches with lock cylinders built in, and the center lock went away. Some still had the center lock in addition to the locks in the latches. Then in 06/07 they went to the LCI bunk doors with the radius top corners, and none of those had a center lock.

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, don't remember seeing that on the Bantam or Trail Cruiser hybrids we looked at, back in 2005 when we were shopping for a hybrid.
We had a R Vision dealer in our town and were the only RV dealer with hybrids.
Was that a feature for certain years on R Vision hybrids?
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I've seen those on older units.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Bert_Ackerman
Explorer
Explorer
bikendan wrote:
That center cam lock is NOT factory. Must of been installed by a former owner.

Yes it IS factory. Those lock cylinders were common when hybrids had the screw clamps. It was not specific to just R Vision.

They had a bar on the tail end of the cylinder about 3" long which engaged into a slot that was part of the bracket where you attach the shepherds pole.

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
That center cam lock is NOT factory. Must of been installed by a former owner.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes