cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Grand Canyon Early April

junmy3
Explorer
Explorer
DW and I would like to go to the Grand Canyon the 1st of April 2020. Me question is how feasible is that weather wise. We can take the cold but being from Georgia snow is another story. We can be a little flexible on the dates to give the roads time to be cleared, but only a few days. I plan to call the park but would like advise from someone that has gone that time of the year. We will probably coming from the West on I-40 but there is a small chance we could come from Kanab down through Page. Thanks for any advise.
Jim & Junnie
2016 Jay Flight 27RLS
10 REPLIES 10

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
I hit 3" of snow on the roads in the park on May 18th. At the Desert View campground (the south side of the canyon), I was in a small trailer - better than the couple next to me that were under a tarp stretched between their two motorcycles!

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
That is a bit early to go because it will be cold. You are near 7000 ft. altitude there and anything will be possible from snow to freezing rain to having a nice 60 degree day. That said we stayed at the Grand Canyon Railway RV park in Williams when we were there. A great park to base at. Nice facilities and Williams is a nice town. It is an hour south of the canyon though but a nice drive. We went the end of September 3 years ago. Weather was perfect.

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
It's been last week of March 1979 in a pop up . It got down to 15 the 3rd night & you couldn't keep the bed warm. We went down to the dessert the next day & that night the south rim got a ft of snow.

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
GC's weather is always in flux. Expect snow on the ground but not a lot of snow storms. But if that snow comes, it could be a road closing event. Rain is also likely. Because the weather is so unpredictable, plan for everything and hope for nothing.

Remember, just this year there was snow falling on Memorial Day at the GC. Not enough to close the park, but enough to make one realize the weather at GC is way to unpredictable during the spring and fall transition periods. April 2018 was equally as weird with one day being in the 70's and the next dropped to the low 40's.
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

TUCQUALA
Explorer
Explorer
Visited 3rd week of March in 2015, weather was great!! Snow in the higher elevations on the north side, but the south side was clear and warm!! BUT, we visited on a early "spring break" time period, and it was busy, swamped with people!! Might check when spring break occurs around the time you go!!!!

'16 Outdoors Timber Ridge 280RKS
Reese 1700# Trunnion w/ DualCam HP
'03 EXCURSION XLT V10 4.30 Axles

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
We went in April a few years ago. It was snowing as we arrived in Willams AZ to catch the train to the Grand Canyon the next morning. It snowed one foot over night.

We couldn't get to some of the tourist spots away from the lodge area. So we spent most of our time in and around the lodge for the two days we were there. It was cold but bearable with the right clothing.

The canyon and surrounding scenery was beautiful with the fresh snowing covering.

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
We went to the Grand Canyon in April 1999. Weather was about 50 degrees. Not crowded. There was snow on the ground but the roads were clear.

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
The NORTH side will be close. South open and not too many people.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Last April 1 the high in Williams was 58 and low 20.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Two_Hands
Explorer
Explorer
Thatโ€™s a great time of the year to visit the Grand Canyon. However many people think the same so make reservations now. You will almost certainly have freezing temperatures and possibly snow. But if you are prepared than the trip will be well worth it. I highly recommend Trailer Village Campground in the park.
2015 Fleetwood Excursion 33D
2016 Grand Cherokee Limited
Retired Law Enforcement
U.S. Army 1965-1973/RVN 1968-'69

I am the frequent recipient of "Get out of the way old man!"