cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Class A stuck next to house!

2manytoyz
Explorer
Explorer
Our previous rig was a 25' travel trailer. We kept it parked next to the house since 2011, when we moved in. Zero issues moving it.

Late last year, we bought a used 35' Class A. It fits nicely next to the house too. When I had the fence installed, I specified a 14' wide RV gate with a welded aluminum frame on the back to help with sagging.

All was well for months. Last week I went to gas it up prior to Hurricane Dorian approaching our area. I made it about 20', and the rear axle sank.

We're in FL. Our property has about a foot of topsoil on sand. Drainage is usually pretty good. There was no visible standing water that day.

Once it dug a hole, there was no getting it out. I jacked it up, put pavers and wood under the rear tires. I could get it to move forward some, but never get up out of the trench it had created.

We have Progressive RV insurance. After a couple of hours of effort, I called them. This was covered under our policy since it was within a 100' of pavement. They sent a big tow truck, pulled us to dry land.

Now I have to contact a paving company for ideas. We have buried utilities in that area, so I don't want a solid concrete pad. Maybe crushed rock with pavers on top, or two 4' wide concrete strips for the tires, the rest filled in with gravel. Still researching this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nglAhQECRF0

I'll be a lot more cautious where I travel off road after this experience.

Robert
Merritt Island, FL
2023 Thor Quantum KW29
2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TOAD
2023 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon TOAD
Falcon 2 Towbar, Roadmaster 9400 Even Brake System
http://www.2manytoyz.com/
17 REPLIES 17

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
Pangaea Ron wrote:
Try these:

TurfStone concrete pavers

Depending on mfgr = "TurfStone" or "TurfBlock" - size indicated, 54# ea.

Used for fire apparatus access over grass area next to apartment bldgs.
Once installed, we would always test with tandem axle ladder truck - 40 thousand pounds!

I used them for a section of lawn between the sidewalk and the pad on the side of my house.
Once grass has grown in (in the "squares") - you would never know it's under there.

In twenty years - no sinking. You will leave marks on the grass.

:C

davidbt
Explorer
Explorer
It might of been from idling the engine to warm it up that let it sink just enough to get stuck.

DarkSkySeeker
Explorer
Explorer
doxiemom11 wrote:
We laugh now, but it wasn't too funny while it was
happening.

If only we humans could fix that . . .
There is something special about camping in an RV.

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
Strip the topsoil off the sand below and fill will a jagged aggregate that will compact but drain. Your topsoil has no bearing capability when it is wet and no traction looks like.

Shells, crushed stone, whatever will compact and support the weight and not saturate and turn to pancake batter...

I would be tempted to put together some treated lumber mats the long way where the tires run, lay them on the sand base, and bury them with the crushed fill. Sand will support tremendous loads if the weight is spread out.

solismaris
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry for your troubles.
Stories like this reinforce my resolve to never own an RV without 4 wheel drive. Which unfortunately rules out class A's, B's, and C's. Travel trailer and pickup for me; I've pulled it through mud and standing water many times and never been stuck!
David Kojen

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have had to get towed a few times when I got stuck. One time the poor adjuster busted up laughing when he read my E-mailed claim (Well I worded it to have just that effect) He approved it too.

It happens. Even in a campground (the one I'm in now) So now days to avoid getting stuck I always show up with a Cinna-bribe (really a joke, Cinnabon is just down the road on my way so....) Always get good sites too.. Of course it helps my favorite site (one I"m on now) is clean. level 50 amp. pull through. no sewer so nobody wants to park here.. But that don't bother me.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
I can't stand under the buried utilities issue. I guess you did not damage them when you got stuck? If not, put a slab down, and don't worry any more...

As previously stated, I have never had a thought about paving over utilities. Adding aggregate as it compacts down may just put undo pressure on what ever utility is in contention.

2manytoyz
Explorer
Explorer
Some post event pics.

It was almost setting on the stabilizer jacks. Those would likely be damaged during the tow if stuck in the ground.

Until we have a fix, I'm leaving it on the driveway (mostly). The two wheels on the grass have 3/4" plywood under them. If I park completely on the driveway, makes getting the vehicles in the garage too tight.

We have a trip planned in a couple of weeks. I'll start contacting local contractors for ideas and price quotes. Might replace the driveway at the same time. It's 30 years old, and is cracked. Might have to sell a kidney to pay for it all though...
Robert
Merritt Island, FL
2023 Thor Quantum KW29
2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TOAD
2023 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon TOAD
Falcon 2 Towbar, Roadmaster 9400 Even Brake System
http://www.2manytoyz.com/

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe put the Motorhome in the driveway and the truck on the side of the house?

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II

Now I have to contact a paving company for ideas. We have buried utilities in that area, so I don't want a solid concrete pad. Maybe crushed rock with pavers on top, or two 4' wide concrete strips for the tires, the rest filled in with gravel. Still researching this.

I can't stand under the buried utilities issue. I guess you did not damage them when you got stuck? If not, put a slab down, and don't worry any more...

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We did that same thing in my brother's yard in MI after storing our class A for the winter. Buried it to the axles. Winched out at a cost of $350 and that was 9 years ago. We laugh now, but it wasn't too funny while it was happening.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
When we bought our current house, it was the first time we had ever been able to park our RV on site. We had always stored it at my FIL's house. We didn't bring the RV to our house until we wanted to go camping the next time. The day before our camping trip, I brought the Class C home and parked it in the grass behind the driveway end.

It rained that night.

We were late getting started on our camping trip the next day, waiting for the tow truck.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

DarkSkySeeker
Explorer
Explorer
The video was fun to watch. I thought the tow would pull you right into its rear end for a moment.
There is something special about camping in an RV.

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
Did you sink in on both sides? (two tracks) Or one side only.
A 3' wide sidewalk and gravel or crush and run next to it could minimize the impact on buried utilities, depending on how they are run.

Just looked at your video, see that its both sides. But I think no longer than it is and since its a straight line, I'd still do a single 3' wide sidewalk and C&R since you would be moved by the drivers side wheels on concrete, the right side should not dig in unless its really soup.