cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Roll over

samhain7
Explorer
Explorer
This is my neighbor across the street....

News Article
Final notice from MasterCard. Good! I'm sick of hearing from them.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
2016 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins, E2 WD w/sway
2015 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 289BHS
30 REPLIES 30

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
trail-explorer wrote:
News article says "truck and Camper"... but that's a truck and travel trailer.

Camper, travel trailer...It's all the same.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
As usual, the speculators are out in full force.
Regardless of the cause, it generally centers around something no setup right, primarily too little tongue weight, however grooossly heavy tongue weight canhave the same effect and then it can be exaggerate by โ€œwhereโ€ the weight is.
The takeaway that everyone should know IF it happens is get tension between the truck and trailer before itโ€™s too late and it will straighten out. Typically manually applying trailer brakes, followed by t brakes and accelerating if that dont work. And in the event of no trailer brakes and itโ€™s not coming back on itโ€™s own, you have to floor it!
Another tip is DONT try to correct the sway all the way with steering unless you donโ€™t have the room. You can buy some time and bring the trailer back if you can sort of โ€œfollowโ€ the sway with the tow vehicle.
It happens fairly quickly but not too quick to recover if one know what to do in the event.
Yes Iโ€™ve had a few trailers get away. Comes from towing a lot at a very young age when this knowledge and the internet did not exist for me.

And how many accidents have you investigated? Tow vehicles too small for the load or improper loading; based on experience as a traffic safety officer and 750K in a class 8. Might learn something here on traffic investigations and towing in general. By the way I have never had a trailer get away from me, ever. Here's another question for you, ever hear anyone complain they had too much truck?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2fkOVHAC8Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IBtVdr0Iyc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4x2mdtqaz0
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

teejaywhy
Explorer
Explorer
trail-explorer wrote:

Bob,

Thanks so much for your contribution to the thread.
The Yost Outpost
Gilbert, AZ
2007 GMC Sierra Classic 2500HD, Duramax LBZ
2019 Nash 23D

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Regardless of the cause, it generally centers around something no setup right, primarily too little tongue weight, however grooossly heavy tongue weight canhave the same effect and then it can be exaggerate by โ€œwhereโ€ the weight is.
The takeaway that everyone should know IF it happens is get tension between the truck and trailer before itโ€™s too late and it will straighten out. Typically manually applying trailer brakes, followed by t brakes and accelerating if that dont work. And in the event of no trailer brakes and itโ€™s not coming back on itโ€™s own, you have to floor it!
Another tip is DONT try to correct the sway all the way with steering unless you donโ€™t have the room. You can buy some time and bring the trailer back if you can sort of โ€œfollowโ€ the sway with the tow vehicle.
It happens fairly quickly but not too quick to recover if one know what to do in the event.
Yes Iโ€™ve had a few trailers get away. Comes from towing a lot at a very young age when this knowledge and the internet did not exist for me.

If it was uncontrolled trailer sway that caused the accident. (And this is a big if) youโ€™re better off manually activating the trailer brakes via your brake controller than hitting the tow vehicle brakes or accelerating.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
samhain7 wrote:
So to answer some questions, he has broken ribs, but that was from the airbags hitting him. He girlfriend has broken wrists..I guess a good endorsement for Dodge Ram 1500's...
As for what happened, he did have anti sway, but yes, it was a LARGE trailer. I suspected he was overweight, but I can't confirm.
So he was on the highway, and the trailer started swaying and he couldn't recover, and it flipped. That is all the information I got from his brother.

Too much trailer for the TV, a very common issue, especially for new RVer's. Here is the reason to have a truck, not a grocery getter, when towing a trailer. I pulled a 4800LB 5W once with a 1500 and knew immediately it was not enough truck. That same 5W on a F250 and you didn't know it was there.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

TBammer
Explorer
Explorer
Walaby wrote:
Lwiddis wrote:
That's one of the reasons I drive slowly.

See nowhere in article or follow up where speed (fast or slow) was even mentioned.

Glad no serious injuries.

I think the proper oil was used, but the issue, but chose regular vice synthetic oil to save money. Always buy and use synthetic oil, because you never know what will happen.

And, as momma always said, where clean underwear, just in case you get into a car wreck.

Mike

In a wreck like that I could start with clean underwear, but I would not be ending with clean underwear.

PS -Went to the local Valvoline oil change store (full synth for those wondering) and they asked if I wanted a tire rotation. I was feeling lazy and said ok. While watching the kid put the tires on the drivers side, the truck slid off the lifts toward him, and fell about 4 inches to the floor. The kid was understandably shaken but ok not having any feet or hands under the vehicle. I will never let them rotate my tires again. They claimed no damage, but I had to crawl under the truck to see for myself. I flipped the kid 10 bucks and said lunch on me, and then said he better watch that pit guy closer when setting a car on the lifts.
2016 Chevy 2500 HD, 6.0 gasser, 4.10 dif
2019 Arctic Fox 25W
Reese Pro-Series WD Hitch

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
The window size in the rear of the TT make me wonder if itโ€™s a rear kitchen as well. Rear kitchens are way too easy to load heavy aft of the axles. Considering the low percentage of tongue weight from the manufacturer to make them half ton towable to begin with, it takes very little weight aft of the axles to make it unsafe.
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

LarryJM
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like the 1/2 full fresh water tank in behind the axles which reduces the overall stability and sort of reminds me of a story on the R-Vision boards several years ago. That gent had towed his trailer for several years and always dumped before leaving the CG except one weekend the dump was closed and he left the CG with partially full tanks and lost control due to sway withing 10 mi of leaving the CG. Obviously other factors were involved, but it's possible this one additionally negative factor was the one that caused a marginally stable trailer (which probably appeared to be fine), with a VERY LARGE TAIL on a small to medium DOG to now become UNSTABLE and UNSAFE.

This is all pure speculation, but does cause one to stop and reflect on what that previously was not considered possible to now be a actual possibility.

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

Blazing_Zippers
Explorer II
Explorer II
Been there, done that!! Our rig was properly set up, 3/4 Ford diesel, clear straight road, 55 mph, nice weather--all good. A mechanical issue came up with the right rear axle and the trailer started to sway. As the old C&W song goes, " And Pfffttt, she was gone." Luckily, we ended up totaled in the median and not into the Columbia River!
I won't comment on the article herein, but have learned that reckless driving, improperly set up rigs, and mechanical breakdowns can bite you hard.
Things happen that make you scratch your head. The good news is that we bought another RV and have enjoyed thousands of miles of happy travels since the accident.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
A travel trailer is not a camper?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
Bob

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lwiddis wrote:
That's one of the reasons I drive slowly.

See nowhere in article or follow up where speed (fast or slow) was even mentioned.

Glad no serious injuries.

I think the proper oil was used, but the issue, but chose regular vice synthetic oil to save money. Always buy and use synthetic oil, because you never know what will happen.

And, as momma always said, where clean underwear, just in case you get into a car wreck.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
samhain7 wrote:
So to answer some questions, he has broken ribs, but that was from the airbags hitting him. He girlfriend has broken wrists..I guess a good endorsement for Dodge Ram 1500's...
As for what happened, he did have anti sway, but yes, it was a LARGE trailer. I suspected he was overweight, but I can't confirm.
So he was on the highway, and the trailer started swaying and he couldn't recover, and it flipped. That is all the information I got from his brother.

Zooming in, it looks like a Blue Ox hitch. Glad it wasnโ€™t any worse. Hope they heal up and recover quickly.
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'