cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

GVWR or GAWR

djg
Explorer
Explorer
I have to post a question here, in my province of Ontario Canada the DOT says the door sticker of GVWR is not what they go by but the GAWR is what they use to determine if you are overweight. My truck says GVWR is 10,000 lbs but my GAWR is over 11,000 lbs, the DOT licensed my truck for 11,000 lbs because I am approx. 10,500 to 10,800 fully loaded depending what I bring with me so the question I have are you legal or not if I am legal in my province? I know this has been disguised before but I could not find any threads on it.

Dave
2015 Livnlite Camplite TC10
1995 Ford F-350 dually 7.3 Diesel
13 REPLIES 13

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
djg wrote:
Hi lap527 hope all is going well, thanks to all who replied I was really wanting to know about my USA travels and because I am legal at home and registered right I guess I'm good where ever I go thanks again to all

Dave

There is also the concept of "reciprocity" which means for the most part, if you are legal where you came from you are legal here.

Reality is, nobody cares about weight when it comes to RVs in the USA. If you try to pull in a weigh station you will be waved through at best, chewed out for wasting the DOT's time at worst.

As long as you are driving like a sane person, aren't dragging anything and/or nothing's falling off, you have nothing to worry about.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

specta
Explorer
Explorer
mountainkowboy wrote:
The ability of your truck FAR EXCEEDS what it is rated for.

Some people neither believe or understand this.

I do. ๐Ÿ˜‰
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
"In BC you are legal if you are legal at home"
is overstatements. When some vehicle requirements can be grandfathered from your home jurisdiction, some will not.
Typical sample are semitrailers, who can be double towed in Canada, WA, OR, but the 2nd trailer needs to be unhooked when entering CA.
Typical RV sample is big motorhome pulling long trailer.
Lot of states allow for the combo to be 75' long, but only 65' in California.
True is that nobody have seen CHP with tape measure in his hand, but the law is there.
Same with DOT scales were never been enforced in the past, but in last years we hear more and more about by passers chasing.

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
In BC you are legal if you are legal at home. However, for BCers you must not be over your GVWR. I think Alberta is GAWR like B.C. in B.C. they occasionally check at roadside safety stop campaigns. They have small portable scales. Having said that if it looks level and balanced they leave you alone.

djg
Explorer
Explorer
Hi lap527 hope all is going well, thanks to all who replied I was really wanting to know about my USA travels and because I am legal at home and registered right I guess I'm good where ever I go thanks again to all

Dave

lap527
Explorer
Explorer
djg wrote:
I have to post a question here, in my province of Ontario Canada the DOT says the door sticker of GVWR is not what they go by but the GAWR is what they use to determine if you are overweight. My truck says GVWR is 10,000 lbs but my GAWR is over 11,000 lbs, the DOT licensed my truck for 11,000 lbs because I am approx. 10,500 to 10,800 fully loaded depending what I bring with me so the question I have are you legal or not if I am legal in my province? I know this has been disguised before but I could not find any threads on it.

Dave

HI Dave!!!
2006 Dodge 3500 dually 4X4 / 2013 Livin Lite 10.0 TC /Torklift talons, fastguns, stableloads, superhitch, and truss/ towing a
14'V Nose Trailer when needed.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
mountainkowboy wrote:
Oh my truck is NOT tagged commercial in Oregon, it's tagged as an RV and fee's are on my gross combined rating...AND I have to pay tags on the TC too.

That shows how different rules can be in different states or provinces.
I had my truck/TC registered as and RV in California and the fee was not weigh-related.
1 ton or 40 ton RVs pay the same and no tags on TC.
Funny part in CA, having TC on my RV truck I could pull 30.000 lb trailer with bulldozer on it, still not paying any more fees.

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
Oh my truck is NOT tagged commercial in Oregon, it's tagged as an RV and fee's are on my gross combined rating...AND I have to pay tags on the TC too.
Chuck & Ruth with 4-legged Molly
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
We need to start with basic that :
GVWR is taxable rating and you can get a ticket for not paying taxes for the weight you are carrying
GAWR is technical rating and exceeding it indicates safety issue, so in extreme situation the vehicle might get impounded
Also bare in mind that when you have "commercial" on your registration (and in lot of cases you will) - you have legal obligation to observe DOT scales on your way.
My truck has NV registration, who doesn't recognize commercial at all, yet in WA the automated system pulled me over to the scales.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
You are registered and licensed for 11K IN your Province

You are NOT going to be legal OR illegal in the USA because:
*you properly registered
*NO one os going to be weighing your truck
*No statutes concerning GVWR
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
I run 10,480 fully loaded and ready to camp. That's over my GVWR according to my sticker, but well under my axle sticker weights and tires...heck my 4 rear tires will hold more than both axles will. As far as I know DOT in the US only cares about axle and tire ratings. My truck came with 2 different GVWR's depending on how it was optioned from the factory...1 was 10K and the other was 11K. Same truck....same drivetrain...go figure.

And on another note Fords "sticker" says my rear axle is rated at 7,450...but the manufacture rates it at 9,800 so the springs are the limiting factor on that....verified. The whole "weight" thing is VERY subjective and is set by the bean counters. As for me? I only care about the axle and tire ratings. Red doesn't give a hoot about being 500-700 "over" sticker, she still has a 1.5 inch rake with the TC on her and I only run upper stable loads. She has NO PROBLEMS running fully loaded at 70 mph and handles just fine.

For example, we had a 2000 F350 dump truck at work that was 1,200lbs over GVWR before ANYTHING was in the dump bed. It spent its life at 16,000+ pounds, that's 5,000lbs OVER the sticker. When I retired in 2013, it was still being used daily and had over 140K on the clock with no break downs with just regular maint. The ability of your truck FAR EXCEEDS what it is rated for.

This is just my opinion and experiences...the weight police will chime in eventually. Some people are scared to use their truck at the top of its ratings and abilities. I however am not one of those. Last year Red came home at just under 17K gross, at 65mph with the AC on for 1,100 miles without a hiccup. I was over on GVWR and GCWR, Red didn't care and the sky didn't fall...lol

Chuck & Ruth with 4-legged Molly
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

djg
Explorer
Explorer
Ya Keyteg I know what you are saying but they are pretty helpful in Ont. here that's where I got the info about the axle weights, drove truck all my life and everywhere you went they checked axle weights GVWR ment nothing.

Dave

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
When you want lot of personal opinions and comments with whining - you come to right place.
If you want legal information - call your local DOT or equivalent office.
Don't expect a miracle thought.
When in California, I stop at DOT scales and went inside to ask about definition for "pickup". Took 2 smart guys several minutes to run via fat books to find the answer.