Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: 6 Volt RV batteries
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> 6 Volt RV batteries

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Powertour

Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 09/10/19 02:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wopachop wrote:

What negatives did you read on the interstates? I bought 2 back in Feb.

I did a lot of research (the bulk on the boards here) before I replaced my batts last month. In a nutshell, what I found was A LOT of people are complaining that the Interstate's are not the normal Interstates people have used & mostly loved over the years. Allegedly they're Interstate 'made for Costco' & a lot of people have had then **** the bed after just over a year (which is the warranty period now....1-yr). Costco will not stand behind them after the 1-yr warranty.

People that have dug deeper have allegedly discovered that the maker of what was the 'good' Costco batts is now the supplier for Sam's (Johnson Controls IIRC). Anyway, here's my disclaimer: I didn't go out & validate that myself but rather took the cumulative info I saw saying the same thing & went with it. YMMV

2015 Itasca 25b Ford E350 V10

red31

Bryan

View Profile

Posted: 09/10/19 02:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Powertour wrote:

People that have dug deeper have allegedly discovered that the maker of what was the 'good' Costco batts is now the supplier for Sam's (Johnson Controls IIRC). Anyway, here's my disclaimer: I didn't go out & validate that myself but rather took the cumulative info I saw saying the same thing & went with it. YMMV

They change supplies often!!! As best I can tell sams has E Penn Deka (duracell) all across the lower 48.

wopachop

lb

View Profile

Posted: 09/10/19 02:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hmm I have both my 210ah Costco interstates out of the trailer right now. Will weigh them for fun. Safe to assume a "made for costco" version that dies premature would be lighter than a sister battery?

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 09/10/19 04:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wopachop wrote:

Hmm I have both my 210ah Costco interstates out of the trailer right now. Will weigh them for fun. Safe to assume a "made for costco" version that dies premature would be lighter than a sister battery?

I am told by the Interstate guy that their GC2-HCL-UTL at 210AH and 58 lbs is a Trojan T-605 with the same specs and at 58lbs

The ECL version at 225AH is a T-105.

So it would follow that if you can get the Interstate ones at Sams or Costco at their lower prices, that is a very good deal on a Trojan.

1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
See Profile for House electronics set-up.

lenr

Indianapolis, IN

View Profile

Posted: 09/10/19 04:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If spending a bunch of money on CG2 batteries, I'd make sure that I had a decent converter. About 6 years ago, I installed 2 Trojan T-105s in a new trailer. The WFCO converter wrecked them in 4 years. Battery acid all over the place--ate holes through the front compartment on the fifth wheel. So, on the new trailer this year I put in 4 Trojan T-105 AGMs since we have self leveling (electric motor kind) and a residential fridge. Pricey, but Trojan quality. To help them last I replaced WFCO with a Samlex charger which I like very much. It has dip switches that set the start up charging configuration, and temperature monitoring.

MEXICOWANDERER

las peƱas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 09/10/19 05:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A WFCO would screw up a bowling ball with a feather.

Trojan used to use white with red jars for their lesser golf car batteries. It was a second-line business from start to finish.

Different...................

Jars
Grids
Separators
Plate paste
The environment in the greening room
8% less electricity used.

Like going to Tony Roma's and opting for a Swanson's TV dinner.

bpounds

Sophmore Brain...

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/10/19 06:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

noteven wrote:

4 x 6v only giving 12 v must mean they are half worn out in only 7 years. So one 12 v would be good for umm 3.5 years?

Yabut, it is never a linear scale of life with batteries.

I just pulled out 2 UT2200 Interstate that were 10 years old. Still doing the job, but I would rather change them out before I'm stuck somewhere doing it at gunpoint. I don't trust Interstate anymore, so they were not an option for me. I got tired of the monthly maintenance too, so I went with AGM this time. At $500 for a pair, I'm not certain it will be worth it, but time will tell, and it is only money. You guys can limp along on club store batteries if that's what floats your boat.

2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 09/10/19 06:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bpounds wrote:

noteven wrote:

4 x 6v only giving 12 v must mean they are half worn out in only 7 years. So one 12 v would be good for umm 3.5 years?

Yabut, it is never a linear scale of life with batteries.

I just pulled out 2 UT2200 Interstate that were 10 years old. Still doing the job, but I would rather change them out before I'm stuck somewhere doing it at gunpoint. I don't trust Interstate anymore, so they were not an option for me. I got tired of the monthly maintenance too, so I went with AGM this time. At $500 for a pair, I'm not certain it will be worth it, but time will tell, and it is only money. You guys can limp along on club store batteries if that's what floats your boat.

If you didn't like the "monthly maintenance" (assuming you did that properly) you will LOVE AGMs, which require more care and feeding to do it right.

Wade through the " 20% rule" and the "0.5a/100AH rule" and supply yourself with the necessary tools to meet all that.

I use my Trimetric and an adjustable voltage PowerMax LK of sufficient amps to meet the 20% rule, but there are other ways of course.

I thought it was a lot easier with my previous set of Wet batteries -some 6v and a pair of T-1275 12v. Only reason to have the AGMs now is I need to keep them inside where the fumes of a Wet would not be acceptable.

Having had to get the AGMs at extra expense (because of them being inside), I do try to do it right--but it is not a "hands off, automatic" process. It means being extra careful to follow the "rules".

beemerphile1

Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 09/10/19 07:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MEXICOWANDERER wrote:

Sir Beemberphile. A gentle and polite question if I may [emoticon]

How many days per year average are you vacationing disconnected? Are your batteries constantly maintained at home?

Last question first, batteries are constantly maintained when home.

First question is harder to answer other than to say it varies. Spent five months in the southwest last winter, some dry camping and some resort camping. Have 400 watts of solar for dry camping so with four batteries they are never run particularly low. In other words, I use but don't abuse the batteries.

Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

185EZ

Infinity and Beyond

View Profile

Posted: 09/10/19 07:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

enblethen wrote:

I get 6 volters from Costco. About $80 per battery.

$80?
https://www.costco.com/Interstate-6-Volt........Golf-Cart-Battery.product.100476406.html

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> 6 Volt RV batteries
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS