Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Best Solvent To Remove RV Window & Roof Caulk?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Best Solvent To Remove RV Window & Roof Caulk?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Powertour

Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/19 08:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For you guys recommending mineral spirits.... are you going back behind the mineral spirits to clean off the petro film left by it? Sucks to work your tail off scraping/cleaning only to apply 'caulk' onto a surface that's got something on it keeping the stuff you're applying from adhering the best it can.

I prefer plastic scrapers & acetone to prep surfaces for caulk/sealants etc.

2015 Itasca 25b Ford E350 V10

C Schomer

Pueblo West, Co.

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/19 02:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm just finishing up redoing my entire fifth wheel… Graphics and roof recaulk and coating. I have several solvents in my garage and I ended up mixing mineral spirits and xylene about 50-50 and that worked the best of all the solvents I had around. It still won't completely dissolve any of the adhesive or caulks but at least it softens and makes it easier to scrape off. I scraped off all the black and cracked caulking on the roof and left the rest of the caulk that was still clean and stuck good. I replaced all of the round head screws with countersunk flat head screws and did a nice smooth re-caulking. After the caulk was set up I put eterna bond tape over it and then the roof coating over everything. I think the self-leveling dicor caulk is garbage because it shrinks so much so I used the non-self-leveling dicor on the roof. I removed all the trim pieces and fixtures on the sides and cleaned off the old Geocel and putty and reinstalled everything with a good grade of latex caulk and wiped off the excess caulk after everything was tighten down.
FWIW, i've been getting away from any petroleum based caulks, little by little. I replaced a skylight in 2016 after a hailstorm and I used Latex caulk and it was still white and in excellent shape. Craig

* This post was edited 09/12/19 05:09pm by C Schomer *

Veebyes

Bermuda & Maryland Eastern Shore

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/19 09:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Acetone or lacquer thinners do a good job of dissolving most things.

Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Best Solvent To Remove RV Window & Roof Caulk?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.