Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Fuel economy
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Fuel economy

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Tom/Barb

Oak Harbor, Wa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/09/19 10:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Class A drivers, how. do you maximize your money spent on fuel, over the milage gained

do you shop for price.?
do you alter your driving?
do you added gizmos?

ME?
I set the cruise at 65+_ place the transmission in .in economy, and allow the computer to drive it.
Gets me about 9.5 by the computer.

2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

Trackrig

Spent the summer in Conconuly, Wa, MH now in Vanco

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/19 10:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Stay around 62 to 65 mph and DON'T FILL UP AT TRUCK STOPS.....

Truck stops are for truck driver's who's company either gets a discount off of the pump / advertised price when they're billed and for truck drivers for whom time is money.

If you'd use Gas Buddy you can always find a station near a truck stop that's 15 cents to 25 cents per gallon cheaper. And Gas Buddy will give you an aerial view of the station to make sure you can get in and out.

I just put two new Michelin on the front of DP - I figured they were paid for by not filling up at truck stops.

Bill

Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

rk911

Wheaton IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/09/19 10:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

i drive the speed limit or 65, whichever is lower. we typically fill up our gasser at Flying J regardless of price, convenience is the priority. if not the J then the priority is still convenience...looking for EZ in/out whether it be another truck stop or traditional gas station. price of fuel doesn't really play a part.

'73,
rich, n9dko
If Jimmy cracks corn and nobody cares then why does he keep doing it?
'03 Jeep Wrangler TJ
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

FloridaRosebud

Melbourne

View Profile

Posted: 09/10/19 03:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rk911 wrote:

i drive the speed limit or 65, whichever is lower. we typically fill up our gasser at Flying J regardless of price, convenience is the priority. if not the J then the priority is still convenience...looking for EZ in/out whether it be another truck stop or traditional gas station. price of fuel doesn't really play a part.

This is pretty much us as well. Lots of Flying J's have the RV lines as well. I keep the cruise at 62 or so. Between 7 and 8 mpg.

Al

craig7h

Branson MO area

View Profile

Posted: 09/10/19 03:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I like others try and stay at 65 and let the computer do the rest. Not so much price but easy in and out for fuel. I am not a fan of truck stop fuel stops, but I have found a few that the price was lower than the guy down the street. I keep the generator running so as for mileage it really is not a good figure plus I do not care. I have the rig so will use it no matter what the price or what the mileage.

Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly

js218

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 09/10/19 04:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Drive the speed limit, fuel up when and where it's needed average 6.5 - 7 mpg not really concerned about fuel economy. Purchased my rig to travel not to worry about fuel economy.

2017 Haulmark 45' Super C 600hp, 12 speed I shift transmission, tandem drive axles, 3 stage engine brake, towing 26' trailer with an 08 explorer inside.
Jim

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 09/10/19 05:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tom/Barb wrote:

9.5 MPG - c'mon

10forty2

North Carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/10/19 06:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

way2roll wrote:

Tom/Barb wrote:

9.5 MPG - c'mon

I average around 9mpg and don't do anything special to try to make it that way. My comfort zone for highway speed is max 65, so I guess that plays into the overall fuel economy, but I drive 65 because I'm more comfortable and not to save fuel. Quite simply, the lack of good fuel mileage is already factored into my mentality when traveling, so I don't really worry about it. When the needle gets below half a tank, I start looking for a gas station big enough for me to pull Big Girl through and fill 'er up. So far, my destinations have been close enough to get there on a single tank of fuel, and then fill up when I get there BEFORE I get settled into the campground. That way, if we need to evacuate for any reason, I'm already full and we just have to drop utilities to roll!

At the end of the day.... I did NOT buy my rig for economy.

1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor, 36' Gasser
Triton V10, Ford F53 Chassis
-----------------------------------------

bjbear

Cold Lake, AB, Can

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/10/19 08:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I drive 5000 miles a year. That is close to 800 gallons of fuel. I use Pilot and Flying-J using a Good Sam Discount Card. So if I could find deisel at $.25 less, that is only a saving of $160.00 for the year (with the $.05 Good Sam discount.

A very small price to pay for the convenience, easy access, high volume pumps, not having to go in to prepay before I can pump fuel, not having to repeatedly reset the pump when it shuts off at $75.00, etc. Plus they always have a well stocked store to pick up essentials if needed.

2006 Monaco Camelot 42-DSQ
09 Blazer 20' Covered Trailer
Toad - 2019 Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited
My Website

js218

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 09/10/19 08:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^^^^ I average 50,000 miles per year, currently have 158,000 miles in 3 years.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Fuel economy
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS