Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Which Oregon Highway?

russelln
Explorer
Explorer
We are presently in Sisters, OR.
On our way home we are staying at Deschutes River State Rec Area.
Which route there is the most scenic 197 or 97?
Thanks Russell
8 REPLIES 8

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bakeoven Rd is a good road for crossing from Shaniko to Maupin. Most of it is flat and straight, with some loops and grade when drops down to Maupin - but so does 197.

It's the kind of road that's easy to see on Map Atlas books, and miss otherwise.

OR 216 Sherars Bridge Rd is another connector, though I've only taken from the Bridge west to the White River falls. I came down the BLM Access Rd from Maupin.

I'm reminded of this area each summer when a Carnival (Davis Shows) based in Tygh Valley comes to town.

SteveAE
Explorer
Explorer
97 is probably faster and busier. Along 97 you can stop at Shanko (an fun, old, town to explore....as long as they haven't "rolled up the sidewalks" for the year yet).
197 has a fairly steep grade dropping down to the Deschutes River and then back up the other side. But, if you wanted to explore the Deschutes river (go rafting, drive down to Shears Falls, check out the White River, etc), then that would be the way to go.
If you truly had a day to burn then I would suggest 97 to Shanko, then backtrack the few miles back to 197 and go that route north.
Enjoy the journey.

russelln
Explorer
Explorer
Ed_Gee wrote:
Sisters is NOT on the Oregon coast. It is located on the east side of the Cascade mountains, about 30 minutes at most from Bend Oregon. A wonderful RV stop to make would be the Bend-Sisters Garden RV Park just a couple miles east of Sisters.

That's exactly where we are! Very nice RV park.

Ed_Gee
Explorer
Explorer
Sisters is NOT on the Oregon coast. It is located on the east side of the Cascade mountains, about 30 minutes at most from Bend Oregon. A wonderful RV stop to make would be the Bend-Sisters Garden RV Park just a couple miles east of Sisters.
Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

russelln
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
Which direction are you heading after US 97 or 197?
If headed toward portland you may consider US 26, stopping at Timberline Lodge.
If set on US 97 or 197 I would take 197!

Thanks for the reply. We are heading East to our RV base in LaGrande.

russelln
Explorer
Explorer
diazr2 wrote:
They are pretty much the same in my opinion. The more scenic drive would be 26 to 35 to 84 longer slower but you get magnificent views of mount Hood. Also 26 and 35 are not as good as 97 or 197 I don't know what your towing or hauling. Big rig stick to 197 97 small rig the 35 would be very pretty. Hope that helps. At first I thought you were at Sisters that's on the coast but I assume your at Three Sisters correct? At any rate drive safe and enjoy the ride

Sorry, you are correct, Three Sisters area. We are a 24' Class C towing a small Tracker. We are from New Zealand....no road phases us ๐Ÿ˜‰
Nice suggestion. We went over that some years ago but it was cloudy & raining. I'll check the weather forecast for tomorrow.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Which direction are you heading after US 97 or 197?
If headed toward portland you may consider US 26, stopping at Timberline Lodge.
If set on US 97 or 197 I would take 197!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

diazr2
Explorer
Explorer
They are pretty much the same in my opinion. The more scenic drive would be 26 to 35 to 84 longer slower but you get magnificent views of mount Hood. Also 26 and 35 are not as good as 97 or 197 I don't know what your towing or hauling. Big rig stick to 197 97 small rig the 35 would be very pretty. Hope that helps. At first I thought you were at Sisters that's on the coast but I assume your at Three Sisters correct? At any rate drive safe and enjoy the ride