Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Onan Generator Cranking Amps
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Maintenance Issues & Tips

> Onan Generator Cranking Amps

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 09/14/19 09:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

While faulty connections are certainly possible so is inadequate wiring.

I've already corrected several under sized wiring problems. Most notable was 9.1V (12.7V battery voltage) on the awning motor when retracting due to both Monaco and Carefree undersized wiring. Retraction is now reliable even if the awning structure is totally inadequate for virtually any wind. But the salesman will tell you that you have a great awning while not mentioning wind damage is not covered by warranty!

2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

bjbear

Cold Lake, AB, Can

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/14/19 12:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CA Traveler wrote:

Another testing idea: Remove the gen + wire and using a battery load tester and clampon ammeter measure the draw on the wire and also the voltage and compare that to the wire calculator. As long as I don't exceed the fuse rating it should provide a good comparison. Thoughts?

This will work. However, you will have to measure the voltage at both the end of the wire and the battery terminal at the same time as the battery voltage will drop as you add load and you need the differential voltage to be meaningful.

2006 Monaco Camelot 42-DSQ
09 Blazer 20' Covered Trailer
Toad - 2019 Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited
My Website

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 09/14/19 02:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No problem as I carry several lengths of wire with alligator clips including one that is 50' long. Doesn't everyone?

Just kidding but I learned long ago that when measuring voltage you often need a known reference as in frame ground vs some "black" ground wire that is the actual problem.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Maintenance Issues & Tips

> Onan Generator Cranking Amps
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS