cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How do you really judge TV adequacy anymore?

Mickeyfan0805
Explorer
Explorer
I've spent a lot of time looking at the ever-changing capabilities of pick-ups, and a separate thread earlier today really go me thinking about the uselessness of truck categories. The 1/2, 3/4 and 1-ton badges simply don't mean what they once did. With this in mind,
I went to the 2019 Ford specs and found an F150 with 13k in conventional towing and 2,870 in payload. Meanwhile, I found an F350 with 12,300 in towing and 2,910 in payload.

Now, these are the rarities and the extremes, but it points out the variance in the traditional truck grades, and it makes me ask a question. Even the most conservative rules of thumb, when we first started in the camping world 10 years ago, suggested that one could tow up to 80% of towing capacity. Then, in the 1/2 ton market, we would always say that payload was the limiting factor. The thing is, it's not anymore!

In the F150 case above, the 80% rule would have someone towing a 10,400 pound trailer with an F150, and that would only use 1,200-1,500 pounds of their 2,870 payload - giving them plenty of leeway for passengers and gear.

So, my question is this...How do we judge what is sufficient anymore? How do we know what a truck is realistically capable of? I don't know many F150 owners that would suggest towing a 10k trailer, but one could do that well within the limits of the modern-day specs.

I've always been one to say, 'Know your numbers and live within them.' That is the rule I've followed myself. Now I wonder if that advice is really sufficient anymore.
53 REPLIES 53

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
"I can fly from here to Omaha in a Cessna or a 737. Both are rated to haul me there. The Cessna will not do it just as good even though it will do it just fine."

Made the Omaha - Spokane trip in Cessna 180 back in the day. Enjoyable in many ways, but for repeat-ability, I preferred the same trip in the 737 / DeHavilland combo that the airline offered.

Similarly, while pulling my boat is within the calculated capacities of my new-ish Toyota...its just a better experience in my old-ish 2500HD; even though the capacities calculate out to be closer than I'd have thought.
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

troubledwaters
Explorer II
Explorer II
IdaD wrote:
troubledwaters wrote:
IdaD wrote:
troubledwaters wrote:
There is no evidence to indicate an F150 can't tow all day every day within its tow ratings without incurring any more adverse effects than a F350 would at the comparable duty point.

This is the comment that everybody is calling BS on. Throw a 10k lb trailer behind an F150 and the same behind and F350 and there's no question which truck will wear better over time.
Maybe it wasn't clear, "Comparable duty point" was intended to mean an F150 operating at 100% of its tow rating (or whatever parameter you want to compare) compared to a F350 operating at 100% of its tow rating ( or whatever rating you're comparing). 100% vs. 100%

Okay I did read that wrong and that does make your point more defensible. I still don't agree with it in a lot of cases, though. My 2500 has mostly the same components as a same year DRW 3500...which would make me think there's quite a bit of cushion built into the ratings on my truck. I also think heavy duty trucks are built to a higher standard in terms of expected duty cycle. Same deal when you go to a MDT...and so on as you move up the food chain.
Yes I will concede that what you are saying about cushion etc. is probably a valid point. My statement was too overly broad.

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have always felt that most people put too much emphasis on towing ability and not enough on stopping ability. With any vehicle that has a GVWR 3 or more times its GCWR it is obvious that you are not going to be able to stop in a hurry without good trailer brakes. Good tow vehicle brakes are good but without good trailer brakes you will never be able to stop properly. I have been towing over 40 years and have never had a case where my life depended on forward progress but have had many cases where being able to stop was vital.

This is one area where class 6 and up vehicles have a clear advantage. Generally they are much heavier, have a lot of the trailer weight on the tow vehicle adding traction and have less horse power so that they can't be hotrodded so much. One the other hand, my experience with non-commercial trailer brakes has been disappointing and sometimes scary. On my heaviest trailer I gave up on electric drum brakes and bought a new one with electric over hydraulic disc brakes (at a considerable expense). They are much better but still suffer from a short delay and depend on a link to the tow vehicle that could fail without warning. I feel like we need to pause our examination of tow vehicles and take a good look trailer brake systems, especially considering how highway speeds have increased the past 30 years. For starters all new trailers with an axle rating over 2,000lbs should at least come with brake mounting plates so that brakes can easily be added. All trailers with an axle rating over 3,000lbs should come with brakes, not just de-rated to 2,990lbs so that technically they are exempt. And this especially includes rental tow dollys that are fully expected to go way over 3,000lbs when the payload is included.

Let's look at the big picture instead of beating one issue senseless on a regular basis.

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
troubledwaters wrote:
IdaD wrote:
troubledwaters wrote:
There is no evidence to indicate an F150 can't tow all day every day within its tow ratings without incurring any more adverse effects than a F350 would at the comparable duty point.

This is the comment that everybody is calling BS on. Throw a 10k lb trailer behind an F150 and the same behind and F350 and there's no question which truck will wear better over time.
Maybe it wasn't clear, "Comparable duty point" was intended to mean an F150 operating at 100% of its tow rating (or whatever parameter you want to compare) compared to a F350 operating at 100% of its tow rating ( or whatever rating you're comparing). 100% vs. 100%

Okay I did read that wrong and that does make your point more defensible. I still don't agree with it in a lot of cases, though. My 2500 has mostly the same components as a same year DRW 3500...which would make me think there's quite a bit of cushion built into the ratings on my truck. I also think heavy duty trucks are built to a higher standard in terms of expected duty cycle. Same deal when you go to a MDT...and so on as you move up the food chain.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

demiles
Explorer
Explorer
People need to understand what the j2807 standard is thatโ€™s used to set the rating. Itโ€™s a standardized test performed wth very specific equipment under very specific conditions with very specific rules. The average consumer will not operate the vehicle under those conditions with the same equipment. Once the trailer, loading, and road conditions change so does how the vehicle performs. The test is to determine the maximum trailer tow weight which not how you would what to tow a RV across country. A good way to judge TV capability for RVs is to stay away from the maximum pin/hitch weight and apply the recommended hitch and pin weight requirements for the trailer type.
2008 Jayco G2 28RBS
2016 Nissan XD 5.0L Cummins

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
BenK wrote:
Itโ€™s like trying to explain sex to a virgin....

How old was the young lady that explained it to you?
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Itโ€™s like trying to explain sex to a virgin....
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
troubledwaters wrote:
IdaD wrote:
troubledwaters wrote:

I think the point you are missing is โ€œDuty Pointโ€ the one ton would need to be towing at near their max tow rating. Likely in the 20,000# range.

Wait just a minute.... Did this not start out as a thread touting 1/2 ton capabilities that were equal or better than some of their HD counterparts?

And once that argument fell flat, now the argument is changing.

I see how it is.

Go back and reread the first post.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
IdaD wrote:
troubledwaters wrote:

I think the point you are missing is โ€œDuty Pointโ€ the one ton would need to be towing at near their max tow rating. Likely in the 20,000# range.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Bert_Ackerman
Explorer
Explorer
Bert Ackerman wrote:
troubledwaters wrote:
Bert Ackerman wrote:
troubledwaters wrote:
Bert Ackerman wrote:
..If anyone believes a 1500 truck is just as capable because it has the same or more payload as a 2500 truck, or based any other number like tow ratings, or has some super duper package, they're living in Fantasyland.
Or maybe you're living in fantasyland. A F150/1500 truck is just as capable of towing within its tow rating as a F350/3500 is of towing within its ratings. I believe all models are now tested and rated per J2807 standard.

I knew better than to get involved in this foolishness. You all have fun hashing it out, I'm going down to the bar and see if I can get an early bird special on happy hour.
There is nothing more that needs to be hashed out. The trucks are tested and rated per the standard. Enjoy your beer.

I think it's more than safe to bet that this thread will still be getting hashed 90 days from now. The Beer is cold, the Bourbon divine.

Still Hashin...................ROFLMDO......TV Adequacy? More like TV Lunacy.

troubledwaters
Explorer II
Explorer II
IdaD wrote:
troubledwaters wrote:

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Take a look under any 1/2 ton... Then do the same with a 3/-1 ton.
Everything is larger underneath a HD truck.

When it comes to towing serious weight....
Size matters.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
troubledwaters wrote:

2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
troubledwaters, now you're gettin a little creepy, searching for past posts.
Now look past your nose far enough to understand that you and I agree that a 1/2 ton can tow within it's limits or whatever just fine.

That's not what you were asserting 2 pages ago. You said that 1/2 ton will do " A F150/1500 truck is just as capable of towing within its tow rating as a F350/3500" . Which is false.

I can fly from here to Omaha in a Cessna or a 737. Both are rated to haul me there. The Cessna will not do it just as good even though it will do it just fine.

Capiche?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold