Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Route to Disney Fort Wilderness from SW Pennsylvania

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,

We will be leaving for Disney Fort Wilderness On November 6th or 7th. My proposed route is as follows:

I 79 South to Route 19 to I 77 to I 26 to I 95 to I 4 to exit 67 Epcot Center Drive to Bonnet Creek Parkway to Vista Blvd. to Fort Wilderness Trail.

My questions / concerns:

Weather in northern mountains. This will be in the middle of November and I have not driven through these mountains this time of year. Sorta unsure on what to expect.

I am comfortable with everything until I exit I 95 onto I 4. I know nothing about the route from there. Are there toll roads? Better route to take? Roads to avoid at all costs?

We will be towing a 32 foot 5th wheel. My truck is a 4 X 4 but I have no desire to tow in the snow if at all possible.

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

Dave
2013 2500HD Chevy LTZ 6.6 Diesel Ext Cab Long Bed
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL 5th Wheel
Dear Wife, plus two Cocker Spaniels and a Standard Poodle
5 REPLIES 5

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
In November, you really should expect to hit snow....unless you plan to stay at Disney for over a month. Yes, there might be some light sleet in November, but normally no accumulating snow. If it starts to sleet and you feel that the road is possibly slick, stop and hang out for a bit at a rest stop and let VDOT work on the roadway. Then, take back off and head to your destination.

I-77 is the perfect road to be traveling in inclement weather because statistically over the years, it's been one of the most dangerous and they have installed lots of safety things and VDOT monitors it via video and weather information on a 24-hour basis.

I gave you a suggestion on another thread of Point South KOA in Yemassee, SC, which is just south of Walterboro. This would be about a 9:30 drive on the first day and a 4:30 drive on the second.

Have a great time, the weather should be about as close to perfect as you can get in Orlando.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
dpgllg wrote:
Can you share what these roads are?

Sorry, I knew I should have included that. My wife does all of our navigating.

But what we'd likely be looking at is - I-4 to Rt. 46 to 429 (tollroad).

Google Maps with the Route Changed

Now what I can't tell you is if that tollroad is Sunpass only or also takes EZPass. If it's Sunpass only, you can get a windshield sticker transponder for like $5. Get it ahead of time (if you have time) because their site kind of sucks and it's frustrating to sit at a rest stop and try to figure out it's stupid interface.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
ependydad wrote:
I hate I-4 around/in/thru Orlando. There are toll roads you can take that are a million times better.

OP here,

Can you share what these roads are?
2013 2500HD Chevy LTZ 6.6 Diesel Ext Cab Long Bed
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL 5th Wheel
Dear Wife, plus two Cocker Spaniels and a Standard Poodle

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
I hate I-4 around/in/thru Orlando. There are toll roads you can take that are a million times better.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

Beverley_Ken
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with your route. You will encounter heavy traffic on I4 in the Orlando area, just be patient. As for weather in the mountains, just watch the forecasts for a couple of days before you leave. Hopefully you have allowed an extra day or two in case of weather delays. It is better to be parked at home or leave a day or two ahead of schedule if it means avoiding driving in freezing rain or snow. That should only be for the first day of your trip.
If you do arrive early, call reservations, they will probably get you in early (November).

Ken
2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.