cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would this be crazy??

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
Well I'm kinda thinking about looking at a Class A. I've currently driving a truck I bought new in 2002 with 231k miles on it, and pulling a 3 year old travel trailer. It is getting about time to replace the truck.

I really like Jeeps, and have had a couple over the years and would really like to go back to one as my daily, but I need a truck for the camper.

Looking at new truck prices, I'll be looking at $45-50k for a truck. Looking online it looks like a 10-15 year old class A can be found for $50-60k, and I could sell my camper for $20k and end up with a class A and a Jeep and be out of pocket about the same amount of money. I'm pretty handy with most thing and DIY just about all out home and auto repairs so an older coach/jeep doesn't overly concern me.

We have always thought one day when we retired, or won the lotto we'd get a class A, but I'm thinking we might could do it now.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up
24 REPLIES 24

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
winniman wrote:
Tom/Barb wrote:
You'll go a long ways to be more comfortable than this.

beaverhttps://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2005-Beaver-Motor-Coaches-Monteray-40--Laguna-Diesel-5008369527

A 60k budget isn't going to buy you a 170k rv.
It was only it the high 40s before it came down.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
winniman wrote:
Tom/Barb wrote:

beaverhttps://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2005-Beaver-Motor-Coaches-Monteray-40--Laguna-Diesel-5008369527

I didn't think that was a 170K coach. some one thought it was a good deal, because it is no longer on the page....
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

crawford
Explorer
Explorer
I have a coach but no Jeep just a Saturn for years but as we get older seems to be getting lower to ground LOL
Change from a c class to a A class Georgetown 07 triple slide

winniman
Explorer
Explorer
Tom/Barb wrote:

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not a crazy idea....just do your homework. We went from downsizing to a smaller trailer and Tundra, and then decided we need more room in our garage and while traveling. Due to our budget, we stayed with a gas class A but spent a little more to get a Newmar (would have considered others). After purchase, we purchased new tires, replaced one AC (under extended warranty), had the front end aligned and installed a Roadmaster steering stabilizer for the front axle. It handles pretty well on the road and meets our needs. We love the convenience and size. As pointed out above, if you arrive in bad weather, you can put the stabilizers down, extend the slides and then wait for a break before taking care of power cord, water and/or sewer hose. When stopping overnight, you can simply just plug in the power cord, water hose if desired....or just stay "self-contained". We also enjoy having a smaller vehicle for sightseeing, running errands, etc.
2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Tom/Barb wrote:

Seems like they could simply look at the BACK of the coach and get the correct spelling of Monterey. Yes???....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
Our Excursion had 19?,??? Miles and our 8600 lb trailer was about 5 or 6 years old. We needed something newer to pull the trailer with and found anything that could pull the trailer would coast a lot of money. We trailer the trailer and a small amount of cash for a 10 year old MH. That was 4 years ago and the little bit that we have done to the MH is far less the monthly payments on a truck.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
wowens79 wrote:

I know my logic is a little off. My reasoning on a new truck is I keep my trucks a long time. My current one I've been driving for 17 years, so I would get new to get what I want, as we should be retiring within the next 15 years, and the truck would last til retirement, then get a class A.
The thought behind going used class A/Jeep, is it would get us both to what we want now.

I'll probably get a truck in the next year or two, and consider the clas A when the kids are out of college and we recover from that in 8-10 years.

If you have the money and want the Jeep/MH combo, go for it.

But just one more question on the cost logic...if you keep trucks a long time, won't you also plan to keep the MH a long time and thus should be looking at new MH by your logic?

It doesn't have to be logical and you don't have to defend your choice but as an independent 3rd party observer (you asked for input), the cost logic is "crazy".
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

imgoin4it
Explorer
Explorer
Sometimes I think owning a motor home is crazy, but I love it and will keep on “keeping on” with it. If that’s what you would like to do, just do it. One never knows for sure what the future holds. If you don’t do it you may one day regret not doing it. You only live once.
Howard,Connie,& Bella,
One spoiled schnauzer
2007 Newmar KSDP
4dr Jeep Wrangler

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
There are those who say all of us with RV's are crazy... I'm not among them.

And I'd never consider an upgrade from trailer to Class A crazy.. But I will warn.

class A's come in many different flavors but just two for this post
Gas and Diesel
Most Gassers. like mine, come with a 5000 pound rated hitch.. This is 5KPound only if the tow bar is straight (no drop or rise adapter) Drop or rise adapters seriously degrade it.

Also the Motor home may not be able to tow 5000 pounds. Mine for example can only tow 4000. (Hitch can do 5 but MH only 4) difference between Max Combined GVW and actual Motor HOme GVW a scaled.

Your JEEP may be too heavy for a gasser.

Big D's on the other hand cost about 2x what a gasser costs up front
But also pull 2x. Your jeep won't be a problem

Do not forget an aux brake system for the Jeep. There is one (I think M&G ) that is 100% "Transparant" to the driver of the jeep. You will not see or feel ANYTHING inside the jeep because there is nothing inside the jeep. it is 100% under the hood. Runs on air pressure which most Big D's use for brakes as well.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
I kept my first class A DP for 20 years with very little in the way of maintenance other than routine things. Then I bought one that is 1 year newer that looks like and acts like new. Always kept inside and well maintained. I have taken it on 4 trips of about 1000mi each and have found nothing at all wrong with it, except its age. Shines like a new one!

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
I ditched the F350 dually and 5th wheel (which also pulled a Jeep behind it occasionally) in favor of a MH and Jeep - don't miss the truck at all because all it was to me was a motor for the trailer. Now I have room in the garage!

The only thing you may not be considering is a $50K MH is going to need a lot more money for maintenance and repair than a new $50K truck.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
You can find newer than that in that price range. We bought our 2012 this spring for $64k. Very clean and well maintained with 40k miles. Still smells new inside. I say this is a better way to go especially if you want a Jeep, then you can tow it with you.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
MetalGator wrote:
We did something similar. We had a truck and a travel trailer. We always wanted to upgrade to a Class A. My wife has always wanted a Jeep Wrangler so we traded in her Durango for a new Jeep. I liked the Jeep so much, I bought a 2 door Wrangler (hers is a 4 door) about a year later. Ended up selling the trailer and got a Class A and never looked back. We can tow either Jeep behind the motorhome. I worried about spending so much money on the Class A but we can afford it. My dad was very tight with money and never spent a dime. He ended up getting cancer at 49 and was dead right after his 50th birthday. Can't take it will you. Just need to find the right combination of saving and spending.

Jeeps can be addictive, I had a 79 CJ-7, and an 89 Wrangler, but I sold them when I needed to go back to a truck. My teenagers have an 01, and 02 Wrangler, so I do get some Jeep time, I just have to steal one of theirs. I may end up with a new truck and an old Jeep 🙂
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up