Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Would this be crazy??
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Would this be crazy??

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
wowens79

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/19 06:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

If you really want a Jeep, that's a sound reason for going the MH route.

But the dollar comparison makes zero sense, unless you are just trying to manipulate the analysis to get the answer you've already decided on (possibly trying to convince the wife?). If you are going to go with a 10-15yr old MH, why wouldn't you compare to a 10-15yr old pickup? We picked up a 2008 F250 in really good condition last year for $10k...tax, title, everything, so no, you don't need to spend $40-50k on a pickup (or alternatively, if you buy a new MH, you won't get much of one in the price range you mentioned).

I know my logic is a little off. My reasoning on a new truck is I keep my trucks a long time. My current one I've been driving for 17 years, so I would get new to get what I want, as we should be retiring within the next 15 years, and the truck would last til retirement, then get a class A.
The thought behind going used class A/Jeep, is it would get us both to what we want now.

I'll probably get a truck in the next year or two, and consider the clas A when the kids are out of college and we recover from that in 8-10 years.

2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 213k miles and climbing
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

wowens79

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/19 06:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MetalGator wrote:

We did something similar. We had a truck and a travel trailer. We always wanted to upgrade to a Class A. My wife has always wanted a Jeep Wrangler so we traded in her Durango for a new Jeep. I liked the Jeep so much, I bought a 2 door Wrangler (hers is a 4 door) about a year later. Ended up selling the trailer and got a Class A and never looked back. We can tow either Jeep behind the motorhome. I worried about spending so much money on the Class A but we can afford it. My dad was very tight with money and never spent a dime. He ended up getting cancer at 49 and was dead right after his 50th birthday. Can't take it will you. Just need to find the right combination of saving and spending.

Jeeps can be addictive, I had a 79 CJ-7, and an 89 Wrangler, but I sold them when I needed to go back to a truck. My teenagers have an 01, and 02 Wrangler, so I do get some Jeep time, I just have to steal one of theirs. I may end up with a new truck and an old Jeep [emoticon]

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/19 07:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can find newer than that in that price range. We bought our 2012 this spring for $64k. Very clean and well maintained with 40k miles. Still smells new inside. I say this is a better way to go especially if you want a Jeep, then you can tow it with you.

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Mile High

CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/11/19 07:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I ditched the F350 dually and 5th wheel (which also pulled a Jeep behind it occasionally) in favor of a MH and Jeep - don't miss the truck at all because all it was to me was a motor for the trailer. Now I have room in the garage!

The only thing you may not be considering is a $50K MH is going to need a lot more money for maintenance and repair than a new $50K truck.

2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

ferndaleflyer

everywhere

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/19 08:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I kept my first class A DP for 20 years with very little in the way of maintenance other than routine things. Then I bought one that is 1 year newer that looks like and acts like new. Always kept inside and well maintained. I have taken it on 4 trips of about 1000mi each and have found nothing at all wrong with it, except its age. Shines like a new one!

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/19 08:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are those who say all of us with RV's are crazy... I'm not among them.

And I'd never consider an upgrade from trailer to Class A crazy.. But I will warn.

class A's come in many different flavors but just two for this post
Gas and Diesel
Most Gassers. like mine, come with a 5000 pound rated hitch.. This is 5KPound only if the tow bar is straight (no drop or rise adapter) Drop or rise adapters seriously degrade it.

Also the Motor home may not be able to tow 5000 pounds. Mine for example can only tow 4000. (Hitch can do 5 but MH only 4) difference between Max Combined GVW and actual Motor HOme GVW a scaled.

Your JEEP may be too heavy for a gasser.

Big D's on the other hand cost about 2x what a gasser costs up front
But also pull 2x. Your jeep won't be a problem

Do not forget an aux brake system for the Jeep. There is one (I think M&G ) that is 100% "Transparant" to the driver of the jeep. You will not see or feel ANYTHING inside the jeep because there is nothing inside the jeep. it is 100% under the hood. Runs on air pressure which most Big D's use for brakes as well.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

imgoin4it

Alamogordo, NM USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/11/19 08:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sometimes I think owning a motor home is crazy, but I love it and will keep on “keeping on” with it. If that’s what you would like to do, just do it. One never knows for sure what the future holds. If you don’t do it you may one day regret not doing it. You only live once.

Howard,Connie,& Bella,
One spoiled schnauzer
2007 Newmar KSDP
4dr Jeep Wrangler

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/19 09:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wowens79 wrote:

I know my logic is a little off. My reasoning on a new truck is I keep my trucks a long time. My current one I've been driving for 17 years, so I would get new to get what I want, as we should be retiring within the next 15 years, and the truck would last til retirement, then get a class A.
The thought behind going used class A/Jeep, is it would get us both to what we want now.

I'll probably get a truck in the next year or two, and consider the clas A when the kids are out of college and we recover from that in 8-10 years.

If you have the money and want the Jeep/MH combo, go for it.

But just one more question on the cost logic...if you keep trucks a long time, won't you also plan to keep the MH a long time and thus should be looking at new MH by your logic?

It doesn't have to be logical and you don't have to defend your choice but as an independent 3rd party observer (you asked for input), the cost logic is "crazy".

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

K Charles

Connecticut

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/11/19 09:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our Excursion had 19?,??? Miles and our 8600 lb trailer was about 5 or 6 years old. We needed something newer to pull the trailer with and found anything that could pull the trailer would coast a lot of money. We trailer the trailer and a small amount of cash for a 10 year old MH. That was 4 years ago and the little bit that we have done to the MH is far less the monthly payments on a truck.

Executive

California/Arizona/South Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/19 10:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tom/Barb wrote:

You'll go a long ways to be more comfortable than this.

beaverhttps://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2005-Beaver-Motor-Coaches-Monteray-40--Laguna-Diesel-5008369527

Seems like they could simply look at the BACK of the coach and get the correct spelling of Monterey. Yes???....Dennis

A Simple Act of Caring Creates an Endless Ripple
Dennis and Debi Ten Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Would this be crazy??
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS