cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Generator started on its own

95impala
Explorer
Explorer
I walked out of the house this morning and heard the generator in our Thor Hurricane running. I had the MH hooked up to shore power in preparation for getting it ready for its winter nap. The Generator had started on its own, has anyone ever had this happen and if so how do you stop it from happening? We had a rain storm during the nightand shore power might have gone off, not sure if that happened.
7 REPLIES 7

phays
Explorer
Explorer
Assume it is a diesel Onan generator. If not, I have no ideas. But if it is an Onan the previous suggestions to clean the connector on the passenger side of the generator is the first step and will probably solve the issue. I also applied DeOxit to the connector to improve contact and prevent future corrosion.

Also put this on a periodic maintenance schedule. I clean my connector once a year.

sportech
Explorer
Explorer
There was a problem with the Magnum Energy RC-50 remote control a while back. My 2007 Revolution had one to the problem units. It would start on it’s own (with out being wet). I don’t know what years were included but it didn’t affect the 2006 vehicles. I contacted Onan with the serial number and sent the unit in. They sent me a new one without charge.

Dave

crawford
Explorer
Explorer
I have seen units that has remote starts and when battery's run low it will starts and recharge the battery's.
Change from a c class to a A class Georgetown 07 triple slide

oldave
Explorer
Explorer
On my Monaco that harness runs along the passenger side of
the generator .
There is a plugin connector mid way The wires go inside
to the remote and start switch .

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
Where every it is that getting wet. Any where water could get to if that is the issue. You have a pet inside the Rv, they can step on the switch. Do you have auto run on your Gen, that also can start it if you loose power and it is turn on. If you have a power management system that connects to Gen to keep power the RV also. Unplug power and see what happens. If nothing happens then start looking for a short in a switch or wire harness for the gen set.

95impala
Explorer
Explorer
Where is connector?

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
It’s been topiced in the forums before.

There is a connector that is prone to getting moisture in it (it rained) that you unplug, dry out and then apply do-electric grease to.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.