Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: “I was shocked with just how white it was there,” she said.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

 > “I was shocked with just how white it was there,” she said.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next
Tvov

CT

Senior Member

Joined: 07/19/2003

View Profile



Posted: 09/12/19 04:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just skimmed the thread, but I did catch this "Dilbert-ism" from the initial link:

"An action plan will be developed in coming weeks to chart the course of the industry group going forward."

LOL! I Love "corporate speak"!! So, nothing will be done except more meetings and hiring some more managers for a new department of, well, whatever it is they are meeting about.


_________________________________________________________
2008 F-250 CrewCab 5.4L,
2004 21' Forest River Surveyor


garysol

Kalamazoo Michigan

Senior Member

Joined: 08/07/2010

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 09/12/19 05:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Middle aged white guy here thinking out loud. If I checked into a campground that was 95% black would I feel uncomfortable and out of my comfort zone.........


2018 Kodiak Ultimate 288BHSL
2017 Ram 2500 6.4
2016 Heritage Glen 263RL (sold)
2012 Komfort 3530 (sold)
2008 Keystone Sprinter (DOA)
014 Ram 3500 6.7 (sold)

Campfire Time

Wisconsin

Senior Member

Joined: 07/20/2007

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 09/12/19 06:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

irishtom29 wrote:

Not too many as hep as I am.
Sorry, but using "hep" instead of "hip" puts you waaaay into the non-hip group. Most of the "hip" folk will figure you simply can't spell. [emoticon] You old hep cat you.


Hep, and hip. There's two words most people under 50 have never heard.

down home wrote:

The reason most RVers are white is because 90% of the population is white.


Wow. Your facts are a bit old. From 1950. Google is your friend.


Chuck D.
“Adventure is just bad planning.” - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid, 2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71


jplante4

Cape Cod

Moderator

Joined: 07/29/2014

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 09/12/19 07:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I needed to delete the post that contained the reference to the "half black" Star Trek episode "Let That Be Your Last Battlefield", but I need to remind everyone that those 2 combatants (one played by Frank Gorshin who also played The Riddler on Batman) were the LAST TWO representatives of their respective races. Hopefully, that's not where we're heading.

Let's try to keep the left/right politics out of this discussion.

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

Senior Member

Joined: 07/04/2006

View Profile


Online
Posted: 09/12/19 07:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The CG I'm in now often has many Blacks families. including one or two I know well and used to work with . (Discrimination can be dangerous if the folks you discriminate are former coworkers of mine... I am a retired police dispatcher).

But now that you mention it I do not often meet blacks or "Outliers" in the campgrounds.. (just one of the latter.. Nice person just not what society would call "normal")

I'm with WALABY "I do not care if you are red, yellow, green, purple, or any blend thereof... if you want to camp, go camp. If you don't want to camp, don't."

And if you need help. Well.. Ask. I might not be able. but if I am. You got it.


Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377


schlep1967

Harrisburg, PA

Senior Member

Joined: 12/08/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 09/12/19 07:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

camperdave wrote:


She is literally saying the opposite. Not pandering to blacks, but having actual representation at the corporate level. It's an real thing, you know. Companies with diverse management teams have higher profits.

But this is obviously not the forum for this, lol.


If qualified minorities are applying for the jobs and not getting them simply because they are a minority, then there is a problem. If no qualified minorities are interested in the jobs there is no problem.
It's like they expect businesses to go out on the street and ask a "non-white" person if they want a job in upper management of an industry they know nothing about.


2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel
2009 Open Range 385RLS
Pull-Rite Super Glide

JRscooby

Indepmo

Senior Member

Joined: 06/10/2019

View Profile


Online
Posted: 09/12/19 07:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

And you know that because you're a minority. Right? And heaven knows that's the way "they" like it.


I am not what is called a "minority" in this country. But I served with many that where called to defend our country. I have shared a cell with some. Many times the boss and I where the only whites on a job. But I make no judgement about what "they" like. I have a idea most dislike the same things I do.

IMHO, the industry should and will target anybody that has both the disposable time and income to buy and use a RV. From what I have seen in public CGs, any time you see kids, they are likely camping with grandparents. In my extended family, several parents that grew up camping, rarely get a chance for the whole family unit to go. To many business have decided to do way with weekends, so the younger adults can't plan to have the same 2 days off every week. And the fact both parents must work, so must get 2 companies to schedule the time. The only way for kids to camp is spend a night or 2 with mom, then dad comes out, and mom goes to work

Terryallan

Foothills NC

Senior Member

Joined: 06/28/2004

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 09/12/19 08:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

toedtoes wrote:

Terryallan wrote:

toedtoes wrote:

It's not as simple as "they don't want to go camping". Many people (of all backgrounds) have never experienced nature. They live in cities or suburbs and never range outside of that area, so they never learn what else is out there.

Ca!ifornia State Parks has a program to get kids from inner cities out camping. It has been ongoing for years and is considered an important and successful program.

There are PSAs sponsored by the National Forests, etc., encouraging families of all backgrounds to get out into the forests.

And yes, some folks worry about the reaction to their going camping. An ex-co-worker and his friends would go camping, but are concerned about the reaction when a group of male hispanics show up in a campground. Unfortunately, people are not always welcoming and are willing (even eager) to assume the worst.

In the end, yes, there is a disconnect between camping and minorities. If the industry sees an opportunity to bridge that then more power to them.

I have never understood the negativity towards attempts of inclusion. Inclusion is good.


The problem is artificial inclusion / favoring one over another / making it easier for one just to include them. that is wrong. I disagree with you on the want to. Truth is. If a person, no matter what Race, wants to camp, and have the ability to get the camping supplies. They will. It is pretty much, that simple.

Truth is. there are a lot of Hispanic campers, as there are a lot of Asian campers. Why? because they want to. But there aren't a lot of Black campers, some but not as many as others. Why? Because they don't want to.


There is no artificial inclusion here. As said above it is tapping into a new market.

As for folks camping if they want to, that assumes they know what camping is about and what it can offer. Many folks have never camped. They don't consider camping as a choice, because they don't realize that it can be what they want it to be and not what they see on TV. Offering ways to encourage folks to learn about camping is good.


I would only ask. How did you find out about camping? Let me tell you how "most" not all, but most people find out about it. they find out by talking to their coworkers. At my work place there are several people I have turned on to camping. they love it, and do only because I and a few others told them about it. Are they white? Most of them. Not all.

I also have Asian Black, and Hispanic coworkers, and We told them about it as well, invited them to come stay in our camper, Told them about the cabins you can rent. Wanna know what "most" of them answered? Nope. Not going to sleep in the woods, I camp in the Holliday Inn. Or. I'm not going to a park with a bunch of White people. (yes it was said). I couldn't even get them to go to the RV show with me.

Bottom line. even though we told them how much fun it is, and how economical it can be. how every one gets along. The answer was no. Most of the minorities have absolutely NO interest in camping in any shape or form. Especially when we talked about Bears, Coyotes, and Wolves.

So the truth is. In our diverse society. All groups are exposed to nearly every activity there is. Each group makes a choice as to what activity they want to participate in.

If you will notice. It is also mostly White people that like to go sit in a Deer stand, and "hunt" all day.


Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers


camperdave

northern, California

Senior Member

Joined: 10/16/2003

View Profile



Posted: 09/12/19 08:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

schlep1967 wrote:

camperdave wrote:


She is literally saying the opposite. Not pandering to blacks, but having actual representation at the corporate level. It's an real thing, you know. Companies with diverse management teams have higher profits.

But this is obviously not the forum for this, lol.


If qualified minorities are applying for the jobs and not getting them simply because they are a minority, then there is a problem. If no qualified minorities are interested in the jobs there is no problem.
It's like they expect businesses to go out on the street and ask a "non-white" person if they want a job in upper management of an industry they know nothing about.


Like everything in life, it's more complicated than that. Do you really think minorities and women are not qualified, or do not want to be in management?

What she is speaking to is what many many large corporations are speaking to these days. In talent acquisition, how do we make sure that we have developed opportunity for all?

Obviously many people disagree and don't see a problem (just read this thread), but many people do see an issue that can be resolved.

fun fact, there are more white men named John CEO's than there are women CEO's, lol.


2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

Cloud Dancer

San Antonio and Livingston TX USA

Senior Member

Joined: 06/08/2001

View Profile



Posted: 09/12/19 09:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Terryallan said, in part....::
"Bottom line. even though we told them how much fun it is, and how economical it can be. how every one gets along. The answer was no. Most of the minorities have absolutely NO interest in camping in any shape or form. Especially when we talked about Bears, Coyotes, and Wolves."
*
*
I consider myself a person of color, and I can tell you with authority, I do NOT camp where there's bear, or wolves. But, my wife and I love to travel in our Dutch Star. I also do NOT fly in airplanes unless I'm the pilot in command. Safety FIRST.


Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

 > “I was shocked with just how white it was there,” she said.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS