Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: “I was shocked with just how white it was there,” she said.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> “I was shocked with just how white it was there,” she said.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next
toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/12/19 04:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't want to get involved.

Not in my backyard.

It's not my problem.

It doesn't concern me.

I'm just doing my job.

I'm just following orders.

Only bad comes from burying your head in the sand. I'm sure glad there were people willing to get involved in years past to give me the opportunities that I would otherwise have been denied. I owe it to them to do so for others.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/19 05:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

toedtoes wrote:

Not in my backyard.

It's not my problem.

It doesn't concern me.

I'm just doing my job.

Only bad comes from burying your head in the sand. I'm sure glad there were people willing to get involved in years past to give me the opportunities that I would otherwise have been denied. I owe it to them to do so for others.

???? They are trying to help people that aren’t even asking for help. Like the old joke of a Boy Scout helping a little old lady cross the street. “Thanks but I live in the side where I was at!”

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/12/19 06:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No, they are trying to find ways to reach out to untapped market.

down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/12/19 06:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

toedtoes wrote:

Not in my backyard.

It's not my problem.

It doesn't concern me.

I'm just doing my job.

That is one of the most off target red herrings ever, We will never face an "alternative life style" or entertain its intrusion.

TechWriter

On The Road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/13/19 12:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

toedtoes wrote:

I love it when a bunch of hetero white men state there is no racism.

We're not sure who discovered water, but we are certain it wasn't a fish.

2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP
Full Timer since May 2013
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/19 05:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

toedtoes wrote:

No, they are trying to find ways to reach out to untapped market.

As I said. I'm sure that market knows about RVing and camping but maybe they don't want anything to do with it. I know there are a lot of people that know about RVing but don't want anything to do with it!

FlatBroke

CO/AZ

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/19 08:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Where we spend winter in AZ it’s 99.9% old white farts with wrinkled hide. A little color wouldn’t be a bad deal.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/19 08:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a contract on the Navajo Res for 6 years. We learned what it is like to be the last people served in a restaurant. We learned a lot about prejudice.

If you are white, you may have never experienced racism. That does not mean that racism does not exist in America. In fact it has existed in this country for 420 years.

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/19 10:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"Where we spend winter in AZ it’s 99.9% old white farts with wrinkled hide."

Heck, that could be offputting for people of any color. [emoticon]

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

6door74

Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/19 03:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'll add my .02 as a minority who is half black and latino and looking to do some "camping"

I grew up in the county outside NYC and my wife grew up in the city. She had more overall outdoor experience than me! I was in a smart kid camp around 12 years old and we went camping. Tying our food and watching a classmate sh*t in a hole was not my idea of fun so I never really gave thought to doing it again.

Years later, we went to a campground with friends and rented a "cabin". Hanging out on the property, swimming in the pool, and sitting around the fire was cool. Our kids had a great time. Knowing I had a a real bathroom and and bed waiting for me made it even that much more enjoyable. Fast forward to today, we're in the market for a travel trailer so we can enjoy glamping. My wife and I won't ever do tent camping but my daughter loves it. Moreso it seems than her white boyfriend from PA does. Maybe because it's new to her and old to him, who knows. Point being, it all comes down to personal preference. I like the outdoors more these days but i still have my limitations. We'll go hiking, hit trails, look for swimming holes, waterfalls, etc. I might try fishing or hunting soon. No running water, no electricity, bugs............not very enticing to me.

I do agree that exposing kids is probably the #1 factor but general life experience and willingness to try new things is almost just as big. My niece from NYC was visiting over the summer and was mesmerized by the stars in the sky she was able to see standing in the driveway. She went bike riding with us, a drive in movie along with some other things, and basically said it was the best time of her life. I'm glad to see programs that help expose kids and families to activities they might not normally get to see/do. Sports, art, etc. Where I work they have plenty of programs and centers that do just that.

As for going somewhere full of white people....I can do it and be ok though i know others who may be hesitant. Heck, I can go just about anywhere full of people who are not like me and look to learn and enjoy aspects of their culture. My wife tends to feel a little more out of place but will deal with it. Mind you, she's latina and could be mistaken for white! I notice the looks and side talk but i pay it no mind. I'm there for my service whatever it may be. If the people there take the time to set aside any preconceived notions, they might find themselves pleasantly surprised in making conversation. If i go to a campground, I'm not so much of a social butterfly where i'll go up to anyone and everyone. However i won't hesitate to have a beer or conversation. Just like at work, I'll stay away from certain topics that have no reason to be discussed in that setting. The kids just being kids and playing is the best icebreaker and proof that a lot of what we think is learned behavior anyway. I don't discount experiences that others have had and past generations of my family had to endure. I try to do my part in teaching my kids their culture and history while also teaching them to work towards a better future.

PS.... i can be paranoid sometimes but spotting a tick on me isn't the easiest! that alone give me pause about being in my yard let alone the woods [emoticon]

* This post was last edited 09/13/19 04:15pm by 6door74 *   View edit history

2006 E350 V10
Travel Trailer-TBD

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> “I was shocked with just how white it was there,” she said.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS