cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

HFT Preditor 3500 Inverter Generator

dirtyhandz
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, I gotta ask, has any body ran one of the 3500 Predators from Harbor Freight for any length of time? Like maybe regularly for season or year? I've seen all the you tube videos of how quiet they are outta the box, but what about after a year or two?
I've run my two Honda 2000's since 2006 with no issues and I know there are thousands of hours on each of them and they keep on running. But I really would like something new with electric start and that Predator is hard to ignore at over $1,000.00 less than the Honda.

Thanks!
6 REPLIES 6

happy2rv
Explorer
Explorer
For the reasons outlined in this post I chose the Northern Tools 3000/3500. The NT unit was on sale cheaper than I could buy the Predator when I bought it. I don't have anything against HF. We shop there regularly for a lot of things and even considered the generator you are asking about. For me it came down to ease of getting parts and service. I haven't had great luck trying to get parts for HF tools.

Unfortunately I haven't had mine long enough to provide the long term feedback you're looking for. When I was researching, I found most long term reviews for the HF, NT, and Champion were pretty favorable. I haven't heard significant complaints about any of the inverter generators. I also haven't seen any reviews that indicate any changes in noise level over time.
2018 Forrest River Salem Hemisphere 282RK - 2017 RAM 1500 TV

Previous RVs and TOADS
2004 Fleetwood Bounder 32W on WH W20
2000 Four Winds 5000 21RB
1986 27' Allegro
TOADS
2005 Ford Ranger XLT 2WD
2004 Suzuki Aerio
1988 Chevrolet Sprint

Bedlam
Interesting info here on this model: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f33/honda-eu2200i-and-9k-ac-good-idea-460455.html#post4949574

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

dirtyhandz
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
And they still run, right?
Get what you pay for.
How do you know they have 1000s of hours?
Did you know they have a built in hour meter?
Light flashe once per 100 hrs on the machine when you start it.

Yes. They still run great! One or two pulls they fire rite up every time.

I did know about the blinky run light. I'm sort of a geek about reading manuals. Its boarder line addiction/problem according to my wife.

And I'm really just estimating the hours. I'm a professional photographer. I've been using them pretty much non stop every week since I purchased them in 2006. I use them to run lighting on location, laptops, monitors, etc... Plus a lotta weekends a year while at various tracks shooting NASCAR, Moto America, AMA Events, etc... So just estimating 8 hours a week over lets just call it ten years puts them over 4,000 hours each.

All I do is change the oil monthly and clean the air filters. Replace spark plugs. Adjusted the valves a few times.

But nothing lasts forever and my scope of work is changing a bit so one unit to maintain and move around will be more convenient and will fit my needs. So that's why Im looking into a new power solution.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
And they still run, right?
Get what you pay for.
How do you know they have 1000s of hours?
Did you know they have a built in hour meter?
Light flashe once per 100 hrs on the machine when you start it.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
Use the search bar above and you will find quite a few threads. Some praising the unit, some bashing it, for what it's worth, most of the ones bashing admit no experience with it.
Service could be claimed as an issue, but the engines in these things are mostly chinese clones of Honda designs and parts for the engines are readily available.
If the electric start is your main draw, you may want to look at another genny. Champion makes an electric start 3150 watt model with a remote control that will even start the unit for you.
Champion
They can be found cheaper with a little searching, and parts and service seem to have a decent reputation.

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
remember, for $150 you can buy an extended warranty. this covers the generator for 24 months plus the original 3 months.
if anything happens to that generator just take it back for return or exchange of same or even more money generator NO QUESTIIONS ASKED (just pay the difference) PLUS you can than buy another 24 month service plan on the new generator.

I have both a Honda 2000 and a HF3500. I feel the HF was quieter running the AC on 8000BTU on my AF camper because it don't have to run as hard. now my Honda will not run the 15000 BTU AC on my new Motorhome, but the 3500 will.
2022 Ford F150
Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.