Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Diminshed Value Claims
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Diminshed Value Claims

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Next
TonyandLesley

Home.

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/19 12:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ok folks, our first time here, so will try our best.

We recently suffered some damage to our coach, from an 18 wheeler reversing into us, whilst stopped to fuel up!!!
So, we had repairs completed, and are now fighting to claim for Diminished Value!! The whole thing about this is very frustrating, so we are now at a point of asking if anyway on this forum can offer any advise to help us out. We have tried the independent appraisal, and submitted that to the "at fault company's, insurance company" and still they are not accepting our claim.....help!!

rgatijnet1

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/11/19 01:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I negotiated a value for our Jaguar that was damaged by a State Farm insured. They did not want to use the "diminished value" claim that I originally started with. They asked that I submit what I would accept and they would review and rule on my suggestions. I submitted three different alternatives and they agreed to write me a check for the full amount that I requested. No lawyer involved and I feel that they handled it very well and quickly.
I would get all of your figures together and just tell the insurance company what you would accept. Try to avoid using the "diminished value" reference and see how it goes. Remember they are supposed to get you back to where you were before the accident. Some companies are easier to deal with than others but I would think that a large company that handles commercial vehicles would just be interested in a quick settlement.

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/19 01:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The only advice I can think of is to speak to a lawyer. He/she can advise you on how to proceed with your case.

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/19 01:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gbopp wrote:

The only advice I can think of is to speak to a lawyer. He/she can advise you on how to proceed with your case.

The problem with lawyers is that they usually end up costing you more than whatever you end up getting.

Campfire Time

Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/19 01:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If this happened on private property it most likely isn't going to show on any vehicle report so diminished value may not even be a factor. Moreover if the damage was cosmetic and not structural or safety related it may be tough to show diminished value even with an appraisal.

That said every state has different insurance rules and how diminished value is forced or not. If the insurance company involved can legally can fight it they will.

Chuck D.
“Adventure is just bad planning.” - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid, 2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71

Lwiddis

Lone Pine, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/11/19 04:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

“The problem with lawyers is that they usually end up costing you more than whatever you end up getting.“

So you are suggesting, way2roll, that OP, who has received nothing, shouldn’t get a lawyer to get something?

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2019 Chevy Silverado LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - old MOS 1542 & 1560.

ArchHoagland

Clovis, CA, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/11/19 05:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Did you turn it into your own insurance company?

2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

Lwiddis

Lone Pine, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/11/19 06:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

X2, Arch.

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/19 07:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why are you going for diminished value? Is the repair not complete or proper? Repaired properly the coach should be in the same condition it was before the accident! Hence still worth the same amount as before the claim.

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

PastorCharlie

NC

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/19 08:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Any vehicle that has suffered damage and been repaired suffers diminished value in resale. It is a previous damaged vehicle and worth less than a comparable vehicle that has not been damaged.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Diminshed Value Claims
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS