Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Diminshed Value Claims
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Diminshed Value Claims

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next
Walaby

Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/15/19 10:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good points about RV's not being documented like automobiles. Will certainly make it harder to go through a diminished value claim process. Add to that, we don't know how old the RV is that OP has. Agreed at some point, based on age, accident history doesn't have an impact.

We also don't know how much damage was made by the truck backing into the OP's RV. One might assume it is primarily cosmetic, given the slow speed. My one and only DV payment that I received was less than $500 on a two year old vehicle.

Mike

Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

ST LUCIE APPRAISAL

Fort Pierce

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/19 12:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is an inherent danger in non-disclosure of accident repairs when selling even though the accident doesn't appear on Carfax. Putting the moral issues aside, a subsequent collision to the same area that was repaired could cause a structural failure resulting in injuries, possible lawsuits, etc. If an insurance adjuster should deny or low-ball your claim because it isn't on Carfax, ask them if they are saying that you should withhold the repair info from any prospective buyer. Not one of them will answer yes. Therefore, the "not on Carfax" claim denial approach is easily challenged.

Bert Ackerman

Palm Beach

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/19 12:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ST LUCIE APPRAISAL wrote:

There is an inherent danger in non-disclosure of accident repairs when selling even though the accident doesn't appear on Carfax. Putting the moral issues aside, a subsequent collision to the same area that was repaired could cause a structural failure resulting in injuries, possible lawsuits, etc. If an insurance adjuster should deny or low-ball your claim because it isn't on Carfax, ask them if they are saying that you should withhold the repair info from any prospective buyer. Not one of them will answer yes. Therefore, the "not on Carfax" claim denial approach is easily challenged.

ROFLMDO.

There is an inherent danger in walking across a street, cutting your grass, or even dropping a deuce.

I've yet to hear a dealer / salesperson tell me, oh by the way, that car was in a collision and repaired, when I was grazing around the pre owned lots. Same goes for at the auctions.

JALLEN4

SouthWest Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 09/16/19 05:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have through my businesses sold tens of thousands of cars with that never being a "thing". You are just making up scenarios trying to justify your business.

GHOST1750

THE GOLDEN STATE My taxes help keep it that way!!

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/16/19 06:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If it was repaired satisfactorily be thankful and forget it. Most pre owned vehicles have been damaged at some time. When I traded my last RV in I didn't even think to tell anyone that a basement door were damaged the first week I owned it and a couple times after that.

Just Don and a Chiuahua called Dulce
2003 39' Tradewinds LE
2002 Cavalier tow
Korean Veteran, USAF
FMCA F357981
CC4C
GOOD SAM

Life is a journey, not a destination !

wallynm

Los Alamos NM

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/19 02:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TonyandLesley wrote:

Ok folks, our first time here, so will try our best.

We recently suffered some damage to our coach, from an 18 wheeler reversing into us, whilst stopped to fuel up!!!
So, we had repairs completed, and are now fighting to claim for Diminished Value!! The whole thing about this is very frustrating, so we are now at a point of asking if anyway on this forum can offer any advise to help us out. We have tried the independent appraisal, and submitted that to the "at fault company's, insurance company" and still they are not accepting our claim.....help!!

Question 1. has this motor home ever been wrecked before? If so the insurance company will not pay more than the diminished value on a claim.

Question 2. Was the "at fault" company involved before the repairs were authorized?

Question 3. Where any other repairs made at the same time?

Have a Diesel Engine Diesel RV Club

Have a Freightliner Yahoo Group or FCOC Web Page

Living on the memories now
EX 02 DSDP 3567
EX 99 Coachmen
EX 86 Georgie Boy
EX 75 Winnie
EX 72 Sightseer
EX 68 Brave

THOSE THAT DO NOT KNOW HISTORY ARE DOOMED TO REPEAT IT

TonyandLesley

Home.

View Profile

Posted: 09/18/19 07:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well folks. The one thing we now know is, that this whole DV stuff is based a great deal around opinions, and to some degree state laws. What we do know is that, if your motor home does have an accident report attached to it, it can certainly alter your re-sale value, regardless if you sell private or trade-in.

Thanks for all the comments.

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 09/18/19 09:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JALLEN4 wrote:

I have through my businesses sold tens of thousands of cars with that never being a "thing". You are just making up scenarios trying to justify your business.

A few years ago in Dallas, we had a Jury rule against a Body Shop/DEALER and The Insurance company, for millions of dollars in damages because the Dealer Body Shop did NOT follow (either Honda or Toyota) Body manual when repairing a damaged roof top on a Car. They repaired(cheaper), but the manual stated to replace. After the Car was fixed and then sold to another person, That person rolled the Car and nearly died when the roof collapsed. Experts determined the roof would not have collapsed as it did if the original repair was done to OEM spec. Doug

https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2017/10/04/couple-awarded-crash/

4x4van

California

View Profile

Posted: 09/18/19 03:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The whole idea of "diminished value" payout is, IMO, nothing more than trying to get more money than is legitimately owed. Accidents shouldn't result in a windfall, only in being made "whole".

Yes, I know, many of you are arguing that the vehicle, even if fixed, is now worth less, so they are no longer "whole". To that I would simply say: who decides how much less than "whole"? It is so subjective as to be almost a ****-shoot shot in the dark, nothing more. Perhaps for a nearly new vehicle, DV could come into play, but as the vehicle gets older, there are much more important issues that determine value. So should the person who receives a DV payout be required to return a portion of that payout each year until the age/condition of the vehicle become the deciding factor and the "loss" is no longer significant/relevant?

Maybe I'm from a different generation/mindset, but DV just smells like a scam for more money. YMMV.

We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R (2), '85 BW200, '07 TRX400EX, '12 Husky TE310
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II, '95 FX1

1968mooney

Fl.

View Profile

Posted: 09/19/19 05:02am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4x4van wrote:

The whole idea of "diminished value" payout is, IMO, nothing more than trying to get more money than is legitimately owed. Accidents shouldn't result in a windfall, only in being made "whole".

Yes, I know, many of you are arguing that the vehicle, even if fixed, is now worth less, so they are no longer "whole". To that I would simply say: who decides how much less than "whole"? It is so subjective as to be almost a ****-shoot shot in the dark, nothing more. Perhaps for a nearly new vehicle, DV could come into play, but as the vehicle gets older, there are much more important issues that determine value. So should the person who receives a DV payout be required to return a portion of that payout each year until the age/condition of the vehicle become the deciding factor and the "loss" is no longer significant/relevant?

Maybe I'm from a different generation/mindset, but DV just smells like a scam for more money. YMMV.

If you are offered DV due to a loss, you can TURN THE MONEY DOWN and maybe it will make you feel better. [emoticon]

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Diminshed Value Claims
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS