popsgrams
Explorer
Explorer
what would be a good app for a GPS for RV
8 REPLIES 8

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
I use the old Copilot app I bought for $6.99 years ago that is RV specific (avoids low bridges and propane restricted tunnels) the data is downloaded to your phone so no cell service is required. Also use Waze to check my route before starting the trip and to check on traffic. Generally when you have no cell service(Waze won't work) there is no traffic to worry about anyways. I would not buy another Garmin GPS that had to be updated and costs $400 when these app's do the same thing and will not have to be replaced do to a dead battery etc and are updated automatically.

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
DrewE wrote:
ScottG wrote:
Just remember the (fake) GPS in your phone only works where there's cell service. Real GPS works anywhere.

Modern phones all have real GPS chips for 911 location information, among other uses. Provided you have the map data the GPS app will be able to work without cell phone service. Whether or not the maps are stored on the phone (or need data via the cell phone system or wi-fi to fetch) is another question; Google maps, at least, lets one download map data for an area for offline usage quite easily.

Drew,

While many of the "upper end" units do have a real GPS, there are still many that do not. So great caution is required here. If you plan to take advantage of the phone's location capability, first look in the setup for the switch to turn the GPS on. Thus far, I have ended up with two different phones that only had "Location Service". This does require at least one tower and when it is working from one tower, the location accuracy is (at best) poor. Both of these made it look better by placing you on a mapped road. This was amusing as we were not on a road at that time.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

cencerrita
Explorer II
Explorer II
DrewE wrote:
ScottG wrote:
Just remember the (fake) GPS in your phone only works where there's cell service. Real GPS works anywhere.

Modern phones all have real GPS chips for 911 location information, among other uses. Provided you have the map data the GPS app will be able to work without cell phone service. Whether or not the maps are stored on the phone (or need data via the cell phone system or wi-fi to fetch) is another question; Google maps, at least, lets one download map data for an area for offline usage quite easily.

Google maps "fade" when downloaded and information disappears. They did claim early this year they would last for 12 months but they do not. You need to constantly update. Traveling the US out of cell range has been a big problem at times. Use Mapsme which not only stays but you can write reviews offline for later upload:)
www.cencerrita.comNow living in Pembrokeshire, Wales, UK. See our web site for US travels and books www.cencerrita.com

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
WAZE. Best gps app I've ever used and free. It's pretty good at finding things even with a partial name. It's not RV specific but in combination with google, I find it's the easiest GPS to use. It's real time road conditions because it's updated by other WAZE users constantly. You can report a hazard on the road, police, whatever and it shows up on the map real time for all other WAZE users. One caution, what WAZE is really good at - avoiding traffic, accidents, etc, can get you into trouble in an RV as it may route you to a small road etc. I also use a Garmin DEZl that knows my weight and height and consider this while being re-routed.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

in5r
Explorer
Explorer
I have used co-pilot and been happy... it requires no data connection.
2019 Ford F250 6.7 CC SB
2015 Jayco Eagle HT 28.5RSTS

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I use (the great) Forest Maps and (the lousy) Apple maps.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad