cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

WiFi, and Cell Phone boosters and Internet antennas

klr650goldwing
Explorer
Explorer
Last winter we spent 6 months in our 5er. We had a great time except for technology. Seems we were constantly struggling to keep our systems going at all times. Today I was looking at Winegard products and it seems they have an antenna for everything. I'm not the least bit gifted at working with technology, but I'd like to improve our ability to use WIFI, cell phones and the internet. Please recommend systems, antennas etc. that you have put together for making this technology work better when you are on the road.
2014 Grand Design Solitude 369RL
2017 F350 6.7 DRW CC LB 4X4
2012 Mercedes E550
2010 Honda Civic
2009 Saab 93 Aero Convertible
2004 Honda Goldwing GL1800
2004 Kawasaki KLR650
1966 Honda 305 Dream
24 REPLIES 24

crcr
Explorer
Explorer

Here is my WeBoost Antenna Installation. I routed the Outdoor Antenna cable through the back of a kitchen pantry cabinet (rear kitchen), then installed a 3" diameter hatch door as can be seen in the pic. I built a shelf in the back of the very deep kitchen pantry cabinet where the cable coils up and lays when it is pushed back into the TT.

When we set up to camp, I pull out my extendable painter pole, which I have set up with PVC fittings so that I just screw the WeBoost antenna onto the top of the painter pole, pull the cable out of the hatch, and mount it in the flagpole holder permanently mounted to the rear bumper. I use a few velcro tyes to secure the cable to the pole.

This gives me 11' of extension above the top of the rear bumper for the antenna, plus 2.5 ft off the ground for almost 14' of height for the antenna. It works great and it only takes a couple of minutes to set up the exterior antenna.

Barematy
Explorer
Explorer
I have a WeBoost cell signal booster and it works. I have the external antenna attached atop a 8' PVC pole that is attached to the side of our coach with suction cups. It must be installed and removed every time we travel. It reaches about 3' above the roof.

If you are looking for a permanent solution some folks have attached the antenna to the roof ladder or to the top of the air conditioner unit.

And i also bought this battery charger.

Crabbypatty
Explorer
Explorer
Some of us aren't retired and need to work remotely. This allows us to RV...We dry camp a lot on remote beaches as well as fhu cg's

I use a Wilson rv extreme cell phone repeater. We have Verizon unlimited service. As a back up I have a Hawkings smart repeater with a 15 db 5 foot antenna. No matter what you have, your signals degra,de through obstacles and nothing goes through dirt. Buildings, trees other large than you rvs can also block the signal. If you park at the bottom of the hill, the signal can be way overhead if your on the wrong side. I mounted my antennas on a 24' painters pole, so I can extend and get the best I can for the site. Sometimes everything works, sometimes not. I try to select my sites based on coverage and there are cell phone tower locators and wifi locators apps. Download them and try to select the best site for your needs when you travel. I hope that helps you
John, Lisa & Tara:B:C:)
2015 F250 4x4 6.2L 6 spd 3.73s, CC Short Bed, Pullrite Slide 2700, 648 Wts Solar, 4 T-125s, 2000 Watt Xantrax Inverter, Trimetric 2030 Meter, LED Lights, Hawkings Smart Repeater, Wilson Extreme Cellular Repeater, Beer, Ribs, Smoker

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
He's gone.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
K Charles wrote:
2oldman wrote:
Verizon has very good coverage all over the place.

It's hard to find a place around here that has verizon.

"Here" means you are talking about a fairly limited area. The facts are the facts and the fact is that Verizon has more coverage than any other provider. With that said, I have gotten along just fine with AT&T for the last couple of years but "gotten along" is an accurate description as I had much better speeds with Verizon in most locations. I just couldn't afford to stay with Verizon.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:

well, good coverage, and in many places but hardly all over the place. There are many many places we have camped and traveled to that ATT or Verizon or Both have very weak or no signal.

The Weboost often helps. But in some cases all it will do is get you good voice if the tower is to far away. As an example this last week we were in a location with poor verizon and no ATT signal. The weboost was able to get me a 1xRTT signal (voice and messaging) at -50db, very strong. but unable to get me a reliable 3G let alone 4G signal. Those with us that had ATT were unable to get even a 1X voice signal with the booster.

For us it is basically a non issue if we can't get a signal. we go camping and if there is no cell service so be it. If we do need to contact someone or need help then I can always use my garmin inreach to send a text, or worst case in the event of an emergency use the inreach SOS to get help.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:

It's hard to find a place around here that has verizon.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
For cell phones (and cellular internet) a few things are important
HEIGHT (Height is might), Antenna gain, Reciver sensitivy and a clear path.

The Wnegard Cellular/Wifi- System goes on the roof so there are no walls (just the RV-Transparant dome)

It is higher

I can't comment on the antenna since I've not one but if it is directional then there is gain.

and they make a very sensitive receiver. (Good one)

In some cases (park wi-fi) all the above apply again as well... In some cases height is not as important with Wi-Fi but for park wi-fi getting over your next site neighbor's rig means less walls. and if he's towing an airstream (Faraday cage/RF wall) then height is ultra important.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

crcr
Explorer
Explorer
Big Katuna wrote:
2oldman wrote:

But they throttle if the towers are busy. You need an alternative too.

If you are throttled, it is for one of two reasons:

The first reason is that you may have exceeded your maximum monthly data allowed under your plan (read the fine print in your "unlimited" plan and check Data Hub in the My Verizon app to see how much data you have used this month).

The second reason you may be throttled is when the tower you are nearest is clogged with traffic, users are throttled according to priority. If your cell provider is leasing towers from the major carrier, or you are on Prepaid plans -- you are probably on or near to the bottom of the tier. Best / Highest Cost plans get the highest priority on busy towers.

jcpainter
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
gbopp wrote:
Remember when we went RVing to get away from it all? ๐Ÿ™‚

I RV to enjoy my life on the road. I go camping to get away from it all!

Well said Bill.Satellite! We are "most timers" and haven't "camped" in many years.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
gbopp wrote:
Remember when we went RVing to get away from it all? ๐Ÿ™‚

I RV to enjoy my life on the road. I go camping to get away from it all!
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

jcpainter
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:
Anyone tried the Togo Roadlink C2 which is ATT and Wingard? Wingard provides a dome with three WIFI antennas and ATT the service for $360/year unlimited

The problem with any device like this is the quality of its "inards". The Togo contains a fairly low end modem (category 4) without carrier aggregation, it's restricted to 2.4 GHz, etc. As technology advances, any device like this becomes even more obsolete pretty fast.

There are always trade-offs . . .

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer
Remember when we went RVing to get away from it all?

Back in those days there was nothing to get away from. Just tv with an antenna on it I guess.

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

jcpainter
Explorer
Explorer
Big Katuna wrote:
2oldman wrote:

But they throttle if the towers are busy. You need an alternative too.

Absolutely "network management" kicks in on busy towers. With so many people using Verizon now, this is becoming more common . . . especially in snowbird, urban, and other touristy areas