Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Help, need old a/c shroud replaced
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Help, need old a/c shroud replaced

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
livemusic

Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/19 06:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I bought an old trailer from a guy a year ago and never used it cuz I bought a larger one. I was just going to use it at a camp, not travel around. I think the trailer in question is a 1979, a Road Ranger by Kit Manufacturing and I am not near the trailer at this time but I think it's 18ft. I guess it doesn't matter.

Hallelujah, a jack-of-all-trades friend came by and got the a/c working and it cools super well. So far, so good. But when he got top the roof, the plastic shroud just disintegrated when he pulled on it. It's toast, shattered to pieces. What is a cheap way to put up some kind of shroud? Or maybe just something on top of it? He said the unit is about 28.5"x32". He couldn't find any label on it and I forgot to look inside. Would it be marked on the inside part on the ceiling? Will I need to just rig something up or could I buy one? I bet it might cost too much! If so, need to make something. Or just leave it open, lol?

I want to sell the trailer, I have the bigger, newer, nicer one. TIA!

Big Katuna

Deland, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/11/19 06:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most RV service centers have lots of old shrouds. They will save one for you if they don’t.

My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

IB853347201

Eastern Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/19 07:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Camping world sells after market AC covers,,,

livemusic

Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/19 07:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IB853347201 wrote:

Camping world sells after market AC covers,,,

A plastic shroud to replace what is on there costs about $200 and that's way more than I am willing to go on this. This is a $1,200 trailer. (This shroud is not for my unit but it's an example, but even half this cost is too much. https://www.campingworld.com/shroud-for-mini-mach-61890.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjw2efrBRD3ARIsAEnt0ehiUOTfNLSM0z-3YGZ4hPsaQRbXmB-UWHnornOASbUDDlrEkmNtWqQaAoOrEALw_wcB)

Now, the one below is just a vinyl cover with draw string at bottom and I assume this would go OVER the plastic shroud. Do you think this would work at all. I would tell any potential buyer what it is. I can't imagine a buyer wanting to travel around in this. I would assume they would just buy it like I did for a permanent deer camp trailer. So, seems to me the vinyl shroud could serve the purpose of keeping dust and rain out. What you think? I also saw a sheet of galvanized steel at Home Depot that was almost large enough but not quite and it was only $12. If I found one like that just a few inches wider, I was thinking we could just cover the top of it to keep rain out, just screw it into the a/c unit somehow.

Pretty much any material could work because this is just a cheap, po-boy fix for an old trailer... plastic, steel, aluminum, etc. (The trailer IS in pretty good shape for being 40 years old.) Hmmm... might could even cut a piece of vinyl flooring to top it with. Open to suggestions, don't want to spend much!

https://www.campingworld.com/overdrive-rv-ac-cover-gray-85762.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjw2efrBRD3ARIsAEnt0ejVEeDrIqLqQLiee4b-L0sfK_EjY5Geg47JaQ-5wcUuCMYILlV7lDkaAlE5EALw_wcB

* This post was edited 09/12/19 08:03am by livemusic *

Johno02

Lexington, TN USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/12/19 09:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Replaced AC shroud last year outside ST.Louis for less than $150.

Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)
2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and a grouchy, old, tiny dog

drsteve

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/19 09:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Try an RV salvage yard. Google will show you the closest ones to your location.

2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

LadyRVer

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/19 10:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The cover with the drawstring is for storage only. From what I was told, do not use A/C with the plastic drawstring cover on.

CavemanCharlie

Storden,MN

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/19 12:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Humm,, how handy are you ? Can you buy some tin flashing, and tin snips, and make one yourself? That would be the cheapest way to go. I'm not sure it would stay on as you go down the highway but, you said that your not traveling around with it.

livemusic

Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/19 01:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Can anyone tell me where I can get some type of metal sheet? I think it is galvanized steel sheet that I found at Home Depot but I'd rather find it a bit wider. There is also flashing but it's not that wide. Maybe could find aluminum sheets? If you know store sources or what this stuff is called, where to buy, etc. I just need something to make a shroud or cover. The general shape is 28.5" x 32". I wish I could find something in one piece that big. I have shears I can cut it with, I assume they will cut whatever I buy. I just figure I could cut a piece or pieces and screw it into the frame where I can at least put a rudimentary top on it.

* This post was edited 09/13/19 01:56pm by livemusic *

stevemorris

ontario

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/14/19 05:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

local furnace/ac guys will have sheets of galvinized sheet metal
a small local shop rather than a big glitzy place

2017 Ram 1500 4door, 4x4, 5.7 l hemi, 8 speed
2008 KZ Spree 260

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Help, need old a/c shroud replaced
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS