cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help, need old a/c shroud replaced

livemusic
Explorer
Explorer
I bought an old trailer from a guy a year ago and never used it cuz I bought a larger one. I was just going to use it at a camp, not travel around. I think the trailer in question is a 1979, a Road Ranger by Kit Manufacturing and I am not near the trailer at this time but I think it's 18ft. I guess it doesn't matter.

Hallelujah, a jack-of-all-trades friend came by and got the a/c working and it cools super well. So far, so good. But when he got top the roof, the plastic shroud just disintegrated when he pulled on it. It's toast, shattered to pieces. What is a cheap way to put up some kind of shroud? Or maybe just something on top of it? He said the unit is about 28.5"x32". He couldn't find any label on it and I forgot to look inside. Would it be marked on the inside part on the ceiling? Will I need to just rig something up or could I buy one? I bet it might cost too much! If so, need to make something. Or just leave it open, lol?

I want to sell the trailer, I have the bigger, newer, nicer one. TIA!
13 REPLIES 13

camperdave
Explorer
Explorer
I think you are on the right track with a piece of sheetmetal and some tin snips.

I'd think as long as you have a cover over the top, and shroud in the fan so it pushes air through the condenser you'll be good to go. A simple rectangle piece with two bends in it seems like it'd work to me.
2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
You’re at the point of diminished returns. A 40 year old camp trailer is going to cost a significant % of its overall worth to replace any component.
What would you say bout tires? $400 for something that is still only worth $1000 after the investment. Fridge dies? New one is worth more than the camper.
The sheet metal thing “could work”. But it will be flimsy at highway speeds or high winds, need to make a frame. Venting will be an issue unless you have a tool to make louvers in the tin.
Honestly, your best bet is to find an old AC enclosure that is big enough. Not something that is easily fabricated in your backyard.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

livemusic
Explorer
Explorer
Went to a RV dealer today who has a parts shop and the guy had at least 20 used ones that I saw and also new ones. I did not have a model number on the a/c unit, my helper did not find one; I will have to climb up myself and see if I can find one. The RV guy said it might have been on a plate which has fallen off, seeing as how the trailer is 40 years old. He said only way he could match it was to see the old one. All I had was the biggest piece left after it shattered and he thinks it's an old Dometic. The only shroud he had that they thought might have a chance to work was $200. And it has a rounded front and mine seems like it might be more square. So, I don't even know if it would work, period. But spending $200 on this for this old trailer seems a stretch. I'd rather just make a shroud out of something. The RV guy said the a/c wouldn't work too well if you don't have a shroud, I guess meaning it won't draw air properly or something. My takeaway after the visit was an exact match might be impossible.

Tom_Cooper
Explorer
Explorer
The problem is not rare, so it will be easily solved by you at any RV repair center or some private service stations

stevemorris
Explorer
Explorer
local furnace/ac guys will have sheets of galvinized sheet metal
a small local shop rather than a big glitzy place
2017 Ram 1500 4door, 4x4, 5.7 l hemi, 8 speed
2008 KZ Spree 260

livemusic
Explorer
Explorer
Can anyone tell me where I can get some type of metal sheet? I think it is galvanized steel sheet that I found at Home Depot but I'd rather find it a bit wider. There is also flashing but it's not that wide. Maybe could find aluminum sheets? If you know store sources or what this stuff is called, where to buy, etc. I just need something to make a shroud or cover. The general shape is 28.5" x 32". I wish I could find something in one piece that big. I have shears I can cut it with, I assume they will cut whatever I buy. I just figure I could cut a piece or pieces and screw it into the frame where I can at least put a rudimentary top on it.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Humm,, how handy are you ? Can you buy some tin flashing, and tin snips, and make one yourself? That would be the cheapest way to go. I'm not sure it would stay on as you go down the highway but, you said that your not traveling around with it.

LadyRVer
Explorer
Explorer
The cover with the drawstring is for storage only. From what I was told, do not use A/C with the plastic drawstring cover on.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Try an RV salvage yard. Google will show you the closest ones to your location.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Replaced AC shroud last year outside ST.Louis for less than $150.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

livemusic
Explorer
Explorer
IB853347201 wrote:
Camping world sells after market AC covers,,,

A plastic shroud to replace what is on there costs about $200 and that's way more than I am willing to go on this. This is a $1,200 trailer. (This shroud is not for my unit but it's an example, but even half this cost is too much. https://www.campingworld.com/shroud-for-mini-mach-61890.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjw2efrBRD3ARIsAEnt0ehiUOTfNLSM0z-3YGZ4hPsaQRbXmB-UWHnornOASbUDDlrEkmNtWqQaAoOrEALw_wcB)

Now, the one below is just a vinyl cover with draw string at bottom and I assume this would go OVER the plastic shroud. Do you think this would work at all. I would tell any potential buyer what it is. I can't imagine a buyer wanting to travel around in this. I would assume they would just buy it like I did for a permanent deer camp trailer. So, seems to me the vinyl shroud could serve the purpose of keeping dust and rain out. What you think? I also saw a sheet of galvanized steel at Home Depot that was almost large enough but not quite and it was only $12. If I found one like that just a few inches wider, I was thinking we could just cover the top of it to keep rain out, just screw it into the a/c unit somehow.

Pretty much any material could work because this is just a cheap, po-boy fix for an old trailer... plastic, steel, aluminum, etc. (The trailer IS in pretty good shape for being 40 years old.) Hmmm... might could even cut a piece of vinyl flooring to top it with. Open to suggestions, don't want to spend much!

https://www.campingworld.com/overdrive-rv-ac-cover-gray-85762.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjw2efrBRD3ARIsAEnt0ejVEeDrIqLqQLiee4b-L0sfK_EjY5Geg47JaQ-5wcUuCMYILlV7lDkaAlE5EALw_wcB

IB853347201
Nomad
Nomad
Camping world sells after market AC covers,,,
2010 Suncruiser

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Most RV service centers have lots of old shrouds. They will save one for you if they don’t.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.