Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Help, need old a/c shroud replaced
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Help, need old a/c shroud replaced

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Tom Cooper

New York

View Profile

Posted: 09/14/19 06:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The problem is not rare, so it will be easily solved by you at any RV repair center or some private service stations

livemusic

Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 09/20/19 06:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Went to a RV dealer today who has a parts shop and the guy had at least 20 used ones that I saw and also new ones. I did not have a model number on the a/c unit, my helper did not find one; I will have to climb up myself and see if I can find one. The RV guy said it might have been on a plate which has fallen off, seeing as how the trailer is 40 years old. He said only way he could match it was to see the old one. All I had was the biggest piece left after it shattered and he thinks it's an old Dometic. The only shroud he had that they thought might have a chance to work was $200. And it has a rounded front and mine seems like it might be more square. So, I don't even know if it would work, period. But spending $200 on this for this old trailer seems a stretch. I'd rather just make a shroud out of something. The RV guy said the a/c wouldn't work too well if you don't have a shroud, I guess meaning it won't draw air properly or something. My takeaway after the visit was an exact match might be impossible.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/20/19 10:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You’re at the point of diminished returns. A 40 year old camp trailer is going to cost a significant % of its overall worth to replace any component.
What would you say bout tires? $400 for something that is still only worth $1000 after the investment. Fridge dies? New one is worth more than the camper.
The sheet metal thing “could work”. But it will be flimsy at highway speeds or high winds, need to make a frame. Venting will be an issue unless you have a tool to make louvers in the tin.
Honestly, your best bet is to find an old AC enclosure that is big enough. Not something that is easily fabricated in your backyard.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

camperdave

northern, California

View Profile

Posted: 09/20/19 11:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think you are on the right track with a piece of sheetmetal and some tin snips.

I'd think as long as you have a cover over the top, and shroud in the fan so it pushes air through the condenser you'll be good to go. A simple rectangle piece with two bends in it seems like it'd work to me.

2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Help, need old a/c shroud replaced
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS