Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Any of you guys winterizing with air only?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Any of you guys winterizing with air only?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/19 12:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Air to blow out lines and pink stuff in the traps.

Any way you do it is the right way, just so it gets winterized. [emoticon]

troubledwaters

Potomac

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/19 12:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The water lines run up, down, around, up again, down again, etc. If water should happens not get completely blown out for some reason and pool in a low area and freeze (especially if its behind something), you may tear out 7 feet of floor or wall before you find the leak. $7.99 and 10 minutes can pretty much eliminate that possibility. YOMV.

MNRon

Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/12/19 12:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My 2cents are to blow out with air then add pink stuff.

Living in MN I blew out with air only on two trailers and never had a problem...UNTIL...one spring I found a leak caused by a cracked plastic 90deg fitting buried behind cabinets. Apparently enough moisture was still in the system and found its way to a local low point where it froze and burst. After that I did a quick air blowout and followed by pink stuff each fall.

Air only worked for ~10yrs ‘til it didn’t; then air/pink worked well for 3-4yrs; now I found a foolproof method: moved to TN and store the 5er in garage at the house...life if good!

Ron & Pat
2013 Silverado 3500 Duramax SRW
2019 VanLeigh Vilano 320 GK

hotjag1

Lake Chelan, Wa/Lake Havasu, Az.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/12/19 01:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

riggsp wrote:

Been using air only for about 15 years on two different 5th wheels...empty the water heater first, pressurize the system, open faucets one at a time until I get air only, hold the toilet flush valve until I get air only, put pink stuff in the drains, and open the low point drains...maybe 15 minutes if I take my time, and have never had a problem.

Been doing it this way for 30 years on 8 different motorhomes and never had a problem.

hotjag1
2003 40' Allegro Bus, 3 slides, 400hp 8.9 liter ISL Cummins

2000 24' Dynamax Isata

bobbyg123

Duvall, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/12/19 01:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I did the air only technique in my travel trailers, I was able to blow out **** near all of the water. What little was left in there wasn't going to cause a problem, even when the temps dropped and froze everything rock solid.

I'm just concerned that my new 5th wheel will be more complicated, but I can't see why that would be the case.

2018 Jayco Eagle HT 29.5BHDS
2017 Ford F-350 CC 6.2L

Terryallan

Foothills NC

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/19 01:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Merrykalia wrote:

We live in the Appalachian (Apple at chun) mountains in SW Virginia and we get down below zero on occasion. We get down in the teens and stay there for several days. We remove our water filter, open the low point drains, blow air through it all, open each faucet half a turn and pour some pink stuff down each drain, drain the hot water heater and we are done. We've only had a problem one time when DH forgot to remove the water filter one year. It came off in the spring in about 25 pieces. We won't do that again.

This is what I do as well. Drain water heater, Open all the low point drains. Start the air, 35psi. close the drains one at a time. then open each faucet inside, one at a time, hot then cold. Let it completely clear, close it, and do the next one. Including the shower head, and toilet. Easy peazy. Been doing this one that way for 6 years. no problems.
I don't have a water filter.

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

C Schomer

Pueblo West, Co.

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/19 02:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Air always and I also blow out the traps and put the plugs in the sinks and put a throw rug over the shower drain. Never had a problem. Craig

ReneeG

Meridian, Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/12/19 02:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ependydad wrote:

I think you'll find that most winterize with pink stuff. Some blow out the lines first and then push in pink stuff.

But there's also people who just use air.

The big challenge with air-only is making sure you get it out of all low points. The one issue I had was the toilet's water valve held water and broke one winter. $35-45 later and it was fixed up.

Same here. We used to do just air, but missed this part of the toilet and had to replace it the next spring. A bit of a hassle. It's doable to just keep that valve open while blowing the air. What I don't like about the pink stuff is the taste and smell in the lines no matter how much you flush it out.

2011 Bighorn 3055RL
2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley BD3
1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica and Mabel, both Rat Terriers!

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/19 03:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One of the tricks when "BLOWING" is to leave the valves OPEN.

I would never put that "STUFF" in my water lines.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/19 03:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi,

I blow out the lines, by pass water heater, siphon out bottom of water heater, install pink, then blow pink out, saving as much of it as I can. I do not blow the line to the toilet after installing pink. I treat the traps with undiluted pink.

It gets to -40 here most years.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Any of you guys winterizing with air only?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS