Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Any of you guys winterizing with air only?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Any of you guys winterizing with air only?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/19 04:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Air only.
Had the pink stuff go bad in my lines one year. Never again.

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins.
2018 Silver Fox 32A.
H0NDA eu2000i

Terryallan

Foothills NC

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/19 04:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ReneeG wrote:

ependydad wrote:

I think you'll find that most winterize with pink stuff. Some blow out the lines first and then push in pink stuff.

But there's also people who just use air.

The big challenge with air-only is making sure you get it out of all low points. The one issue I had was the toilet's water valve held water and broke one winter. $35-45 later and it was fixed up.

Same here. We used to do just air, but missed this part of the toilet and had to replace it the next spring. A bit of a hassle. It's doable to just keep that valve open while blowing the air. What I don't like about the pink stuff is the taste and smell in the lines no matter how much you flush it out.

If you missed it with air. You would have missed it with AF as well. You have to open the valve either way.

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Terryallan

Foothills NC

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/19 04:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

troubledwaters wrote:

The water lines run up, down, around, up again, down again, etc. If water should happens not get completely blown out for some reason and pool in a low area and freeze (especially if its behind something), you may tear out 7 feet of floor or wall before you find the leak. $7.99 and 10 minutes can pretty much eliminate that possibility. YOMV.

I'm not so sure. If you get most of the water out, and there is a little bit in the line. It will have room to expand with out bursting the line. Just like the black tank. What little water there is in there has room to expand. Expansion is what cracks lines. If it can expand, it will not hurt them.

Tom/Barb

Oak Harbor, Wa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/12/19 04:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bobbyg123 wrote:

In my 10+ years of travel trailer ownership here in the Pacific NW, I've never used anything other than compressed air to blow out my lines and winterize. I haven't used any of the pink stuff, apart from pouring some down the drain traps and to maintain the toilet seal.

That's all we do. Drain, Blow, yer done.

I have a fitting that fits the fresh water inlet point that has a regulator that is set to city water pressure.

When I drain, I tilt the coach so every thing drains.

2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

Tom/Barb

Oak Harbor, Wa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/12/19 04:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When winterizing don't forget insuring the holding tanks are clean.

TXiceman

Full Time RVer

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/19 06:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We lived in NE Oklahoma for several years and I always used air to clear the lines and then put antifreeze in the P-traps. Never had an issue.

Ken

Amateur Radio Operator.
2013 HitchHiker 38RLRSB Champagne, toted with a 2012, F350, 6.7L PSD, Crewcab, dually. 3.73 axle, Full Time RVer.
Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

sayoung

Tx

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/12/19 06:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TXiceman wrote:

We lived in NE Oklahoma for several years and I always used air to clear the lines and then put antifreeze in the P-traps. Never had an issue.

Ken

Here in East Tx all I do is open low point drains, faucets, put a brick on the toilet pedal, drain water heater, then blow lines. I also dump then add AF to all drains and pour enough to get a little in all tanks. Ours stays set up with the heat on at the farm and I added a quick connect so I have 4 propane tanks feeding the heat. I only do this if we are getting a hard freeze warning, teens or lower which very seldom does. Here it's frosty one day & the next your wearing moody shorts.

winniman

muskoka Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/19 07:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't think what one person does has much relevance to what someone else does. Every rv is different. Depends where you live. Here in Ontario, it can be minus 20 and lower for weeks on end. As others have stated, I used to use only air, until one year I froze my toilet valve. I fixed it, and bought a different rv that year. Trying to get all the water out was near impossible. I could see the pump still had water at it, in spite of many attempts with the air. I gave in, and ran pink through the lines until I could only see pink at the pump. I have used air and pink ever since. I don't drink the water in the tanks anyway, but it only takes a couple of tank flushes till I don't notice it anymore. To each their own. Spending ten bucks on rv antifreeze is a lot cheaper than tearing open a wall to find a split pipe. Its all good until it isn't. Cheers.

* This post was edited 09/12/19 08:10pm by winniman *

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/12/19 08:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

winniman wrote:

I don't think what one person does has much relevance to what someone else does. Every rv is different. Depends where you live. Here in Ontario, it can be minus 20 and lower for weeks on end. As others have stated, I used to use only air, until one year I froze my toilet valve. I fixed it, and bought a different rv that year. Trying to get all the water out was near impossible. I could see the pump still had water at it, in spite of many attempts with the air. I gave in, and ran pink through the lines until I could only see pink at the pump. I have used air and pink ever since. I don't drink the water in the tanks anyway, but it only takes a couple of tank flushes till I don't notice it anymore. To each their own. Spending ten bucks on rv antifreeze is a lot cheaper than tearing open a wall to find a split pipe. Its all good until it isn't. Cheers.

I agree , not sure at all the disagreement with AF , I flush it out in the spring , do a little sanitizing with bleach, and have had no issues the past 15 years .

I also don’t see the issue with drinking the water, although we do use a Brita .

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/12/19 08:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

One of the tricks when "BLOWING" is to leave the valves OPEN.

I would never put that "STUFF" in my water lines.

You must have an extremely clean air compressor , drain the water out of it lately . I would not like that STUFF in my water lines , but regardless a little sanitizing will take care of either way .

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Any of you guys winterizing with air only?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS