Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Any of you guys winterizing with air only?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Any of you guys winterizing with air only?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next
bobbyg123

Duvall, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/12/19 10:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In my 10+ years of travel trailer ownership here in the Pacific NW, I've never used anything other than compressed air to blow out my lines and winterize. I haven't used any of the pink stuff, apart from pouring some down the drain traps and to maintain the toilet seal.

I park my camper in Eastern WA for a few months each winter, where temps are frequently in the teens and below, and I haven't had any problems with freeze damage.

Now that I have a new 5th wheel that I'll be winterizing for the 1st time, I want to revisit this logic to make sure I'm not running any risks. Do any of you simply use air to blow out the lines, on top of, of course, draining the water heater and emptying the tanks?

2018 Jayco Eagle HT 29.5BHDS
2017 Ford F-350 CC 6.2L

PNW_Steve

Pacific Northwet & cold

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/19 10:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't know why I never thought of that..........

Duhhh... I am in Eastern Washington and winterize my sprinkler system by blowing it out with compressed air every Fall. Then I use pink antifreeze to winterize my RV. Never even considered using air on my RV's and have a bit of a challenge getting it all flushed in the Spring.

I am really curious to hear what experience others have had.

2004.5 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, NV5400, 5" turbo back stainless exhaust, Edger programmer & 22.5 Alcoa's
2002 Forest River 36 5th Wheel (staying home)
1992 Jayco 29 5th Wheel (Mexico veteran & headed back)
2002 "faux" Wanderlodge 40' My new toy....

ependydad

Here and there

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/12/19 10:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think you'll find that most winterize with pink stuff. Some blow out the lines first and then push in pink stuff.

But there's also people who just use air.

The big challenge with air-only is making sure you get it out of all low points. The one issue I had was the toilet's water valve held water and broke one winter. $35-45 later and it was fixed up.

2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

IB853347201

Eastern Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/19 10:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My MH is one of the larger investments I've made. As such I don't take any risks associated with potential frozen lines. Although I hate the pink stuff too, the few bucks you spend for its added protection is priceless. I blow out my lines and fill with the pink stuff every year.

Touring in our 2010 Suncruiser, beaches, site seeing, national parks, chillaxing..

bobbyg123

Duvall, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/12/19 10:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ependydad wrote:

I think you'll find that most winterize with pink stuff. Some blow out the lines first and then push in pink stuff.

But there's also people who just use air.

The big challenge with air-only is making sure you get it out of all low points. The one issue I had was the toilet's water valve held water and broke one winter. $35-45 later and it was fixed up.

Yes, that's a valid concern. My issue is that I store the camper off site for a few months and use it during the winter months. Using air only to winterize is so much easier for this, as I don't have to de-winterize by flushing the pink stuff out, and then reapply the antifreeze 3-4 different cycles of use.

I'll probably continue to use the air only method, but I'm a stand up guy and will come clean to everyone here if I suffer a cracked line, valve, or god forbid, a water pump due to freezing.

PNW_Steve

Pacific Northwet & cold

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/19 10:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do you have 110v power at the storage site?

I have wintered in cold country in the past. I added some heat tape and a small radiant heater to keep the inside temperature above freezing when I was not using it.

I don't camp in the winter anymore unless it is in Arizona or Mexico.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/19 10:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bobbyg123 wrote:

In my 10+ years of travel trailer ownership here in the Pacific NW, I've never used anything other than compressed air to blow out my lines and winterize. I haven't used any of the pink stuff, apart from pouring some down the drain traps and to maintain the toilet seal.

I park my camper in Eastern WA for a few months each winter, where temps are frequently in the teens and below, and I haven't had any problems with freeze damage.

Now that I have a new 5th wheel that I'll be winterizing for the 1st time, I want to revisit this logic to make sure I'm not running any risks. Do any of you simply use air to blow out the lines, on top of, of course, draining the water heater and emptying the tanks?

You are doing it rite!!! Carry on.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/19 10:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2 gallons and 15 minutes with the pink stuff...if anything, blowing it out will take more time and effort.

If you get all the water out, blowing works...if you miss some...not so great.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/12/19 11:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wish we ONLY made it to the teens here...
Back in the day I used to just blow the lines out... then I got a newer trailer ( 1997 Holiday ) and found out on the first trip of the season that the toilet valve had broken. Started the pink stuff later that year and never went back.. I live in the North East, it can get cold , and stay cold for days/weeks in the winter here... for the cost, it's just not worth it in my eyes...

Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

bobbyg123

Duvall, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/12/19 11:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PNW_Steve wrote:

Do you have 110v power at the storage site?

I have wintered in cold country in the past. I added some heat tape and a small radiant heater to keep the inside temperature above freezing when I was not using it.

I don't camp in the winter anymore unless it is in Arizona or Mexico.

I don't have access to that. Honestly, I may just run the pink stuff through and keep it winterized, even when I'm using it. It's actually easier in many respects to bring a couple of 6G fresh water jugs for toilet flushing, hand washing, and military showering.

Might be better to go this route until I'm fully up to speed on the new camper.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Any of you guys winterizing with air only?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.