cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RGV ten year trend

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
Ten years ago, this park did not have enough spaces to park all those that wanted to park here. Five years ago, they said that all sites were rented for at least one day during the season. Last year they conceded that there were always spots available. This year they are actively looking for new renters.

This is a mid priced, mid sized park located in the middle of the RGV (Rio Grande Valley). Looks like the crowds are going elsewhere or nowhere? How about your parks?
39 REPLIES 39

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
John&Joey wrote:
....snip......

If youโ€™re the type that never left the farm, then Iโ€™m guessing the RGV would seem exotic at an affordable price. Maybe that is the demographic for the area, and should be courted.

Mr. Negative, do you have any positive recommendations for retiree destinations, or just want to knock other's choices? Maybe others disagree with your favorite???

I have been off the farm a long time and found Florida to be money grubbing and unpleasant to Snowbirds who don't pay in hundred dollar bills. Arizona gave the impression that they want a wall to keep both Mexicans and Midwesterners out.

Many or us have been to "exotic" places but prefer Mayberry. I understand that might not be you, but I don't slam your choice.

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
John&Joey wrote:
The RGV just doesnโ€™t get it. Retirees have traveled the world for their jobs and during their vacations. They EXPECT some style and class for their hard earned retirement dollars. Destination areas are fun areas.

They have no desire to live in a compound setting, surrounded by barbed wire, in a location where English is a second language, yet Medicare is available. If you need to learn a language, go somewhere exotic and travel adventurously.

If youโ€™re the type that never left the farm, then Iโ€™m guessing the RGV would seem exotic at an affordable price. Maybe that is the demographic for the area, and should be courted.
We were there for a month a couple of Winters ago. Felt safe in our park but not always everywhere else. Did the So. Padre thing for a day. It might be fun for college kids, did nothing for us. People in our park raved about the cheap breakfast they could get somewhere. Aren't the people that own the restaurants there entitled to a decent profit. Found a place to get a haircut. $6.00 and almost nobody could speak English. I'm not going back. It was warm and it was cheap. It was also dirty, boring and not always safe.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

LookN4Ward
Explorer
Explorer
Our mobile home and rv park is basically a senior cooperative and has 45 RV lots to rent. Generally about 80% of the rv lots are rented. There are 320+ lots in total. The share holder lots are 95% full. Our maintenance fees are quite reasonable and the there is not a lot of properties for sale.

We are getting quite a few inquires from non-rv people wishing to rent a place for short duration stays, but the supply does not match the demand. A lot of our RV renters are regulars with a few new ones each year.

I think the biggest barriers for the RGV are the negative publicity caused by proximity to Mexico, the demographics of the mid-western farm population, and the costs to pull an RV.

jrs1871
Explorer
Explorer
I get it that some people don't like Texas. But don't knock it for everyone else that does like the area. We all look for different things when we travel. It doesn't make it right or wrong, just different. I am glad that you found somewhere else that you would rather go. We didn't care for Florida or Arizona but I am definitely not going to knock the folks that do like those areas. Just find what makes you happy and let others do the same.
Edited to remove members user name.

pawatt
Explorer
Explorer
qtla9111 wrote:
Excellent biking trails in the RGV along with, and correct me if I have the wrong street running north/south

McAllen 2nd Street Col. Rowe Boulevard Bike Trail

Parts of the RGV has pockets of poverty like any city and that may find some areas that "appear" sketchy and have dogs running loose.

Been on the first 2 many times. Very nice and in good condition.
pawatt

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
Excellent biking trails in the RGV along with, and correct me if I have the wrong street running north/south

McAllen 2nd Street Col. Rowe Boulevard Bike Trail

Parts of the RGV has pockets of poverty like any city and that may find some areas that "appear" sketchy and have dogs running loose.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
John&Joey wrote:
...snip.....Donโ€™t see a lot of Floridians wanting more competition. Hmmm...

The RGV with over 400 parks has excess capacity, therefore they promote visitors. Prices are pretty stable with discounts often available. It's the American way. We like Winter Texans. Hmmmmmmmm

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
There are several Texas Snowbirding destinations (Rockport being just one) but only one which actively attempts to lure new snowbirds to it. I would think the more people in an area, the more likely the price will go up for those that call it their winter home. Donโ€™t see a lot of Floridians wanting more competition. Hmmm...
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

jdb7566
Explorer
Explorer
We winter in the Rockport TX area, and have, for the last three years. We don't escape the winters of north central Minnesota because we need to be entertained. Sometimes, sitting on a lawn chair, beverge in hand, in mid January without a parka is enough for me. BTW, our park is full, November 1 through April.

tjfogelberg
Explorer
Explorer
I'm a pre-retiree who has camped in FL, RGV, and AZ. I haven't experienced "high season" yet as a transient RVer, but I like having the RGV as an option given how full the other areas get during peak season. Once I ultimately retire, I would like to come back to MN in April, instead of in January to start another grueling tax season.

I ride my bike everyday so access to bike trails or lanes is a key attraction for me. On my first visit to Harlingen, I was chased by an aggressive dog right outside the park (Lakewood RV Resort). It was a terrifying experience. One my second visit to the Valley, I stayed at Victoria Palms and was approached by 3 aggressive dogs who crawled under their fence...this right near the park on a walk back from Subway. I called the police after I got back to Victoria Palms, drove my car back to the location and filed a complaint. Just a simple walk outside the park was fraught with danger as there are no sidewalks and it feels like a very rough area.

I like the parks in the RGV but would never feel safe walking or biking anywhere outside the gated community. It's a wild west kind of a feeling. In many many years of biking and walking in MN, I have never been chased by a dog.

For those who like biking, the river trail in San Antonio (Travelers World is great) is very good. In Mesa there are bike lanes everywhere and good biking along the spillways which have miles and miles of multi-use trails. The only official bike trail I could find in the Valley was in the State Park and I believe it is unpaved and sort of remote, but I'm not sure. I often take my bike in the car to good biking areas so that is a potential option for anyone interested.

Bottom line, I like the transient lifestyle especially when I read this thread and realize all of these areas have something good to offer.

For folks who love to play cards, pickleball, bingo, dance, etc etc, the RGV seems like a fantastic option to me. There is good shopping and dining along the corridor and occasional trips into Mexico to spice things up. And not everyone can afford $1,000 + month for their winter home. The Valley is much more manageable financially as others have pointed out.

Bea_PA
Explorer
Explorer
We used to do every 3rd year in the valley and I really miss it. We could dance somewhere every single day of the week. Now we go to FL because it is 810 miles closer, fortunately the park we are in has lots of activities but hard to find places to dance.
Bea PA
Down sized Winnebago 2012 24V Class C
2003 Gold Wing 1800 recently triked (Big Red)

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
jrs1871 wrote:
Wow!!! I read some of these comments and don't know whether to respond but decided I would. Yes, occupancy in some of the parks took a hit starting about four years ago. That is also when the Canadian dollar took a huge hit in the exchange rate and even now that exchange rate is not great. Also our Canadian friends have to buy out of country medical insurance which can get prohibitively expensive as you get older or have health issues.
True, the RGV doesn't have any professional football teams like CA, AZ or FL. But many retired folks are not into dropping $100+ for an afternoon at the stadium. The local colleges and the minor (instructional) league hockey and basketball teams do provide affordable experiences for the sports enthusiasts. The local golf courses may not be as immaculate as Palm Springs but they are also definitely more affordable.
There is a plethora of activities available in most parks and through out the valley. While shuffleboard and pickle ball are quite popular, they are not the only activities available. And many of the parks, that I am familiar with, are adding activities at the request of the younger, more active retirees. The biggest problem is finding someone willing to head up an activity as not all parks have paid activity directors.
Has the valley changed in the 16 years we have been coming down? You bet it has. One of the original attractions was affordability and it still is. But we also like the variety of attractions and activities within a relatively close distance. If the perception among some folks is that the RGV is Hicksville, USA, so be it. In the meantime those of us that choose to winter there will continue to enjoy all it has to offer.

On the spots games, local high schools & collages provide more entertainment than the over paid cry babies playing pro sports. Matt Ryan is the NFL's first $30 million-per-year player after agreeing to a five-year, $150 million contract extension with the Atlanta Falcons on Thursday. No one is worth that much ...............
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

jrs1871
Explorer
Explorer
Wow!!! I read some of these comments and don't know whether to respond but decided I would. Yes, occupancy in some of the parks took a hit starting about four years ago. That is also when the Canadian dollar took a huge hit in the exchange rate and even now that exchange rate is not great. Also our Canadian friends have to buy out of country medical insurance which can get prohibitively expensive as you get older or have health issues.
True, the RGV doesn't have any professional football teams like CA, AZ or FL. But many retired folks are not into dropping $100+ for an afternoon at the stadium. The local colleges and the minor (instructional) league hockey and basketball teams do provide affordable experiences for the sports enthusiasts. The local golf courses may not be as immaculate as Palm Springs but they are also definitely more affordable.
There is a plethora of activities available in most parks and through out the valley. While shuffleboard and pickle ball are quite popular, they are not the only activities available. And many of the parks, that I am familiar with, are adding activities at the request of the younger, more active retirees. The biggest problem is finding someone willing to head up an activity as not all parks have paid activity directors.
Has the valley changed in the 16 years we have been coming down? You bet it has. One of the original attractions was affordability and it still is. But we also like the variety of attractions and activities within a relatively close distance. If the perception among some folks is that the RGV is Hicksville, USA, so be it. In the meantime those of us that choose to winter there will continue to enjoy all it has to offer.

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
I Wintered in Florida for the first four years of my retirement and then realized I was paying one hundred percent more for a five percent improvement in weather. Thus, I now Winter in the RGV. I did not have to spend a single Winter in Arizona to verify the same price differential. People talk and word gets around pretty quickly about such things. Money might not matter to most of you.

Alamo Rec-Veh RV Park in Alamo, Texas is pretty full every winter. Nice parks like Texas Trails look like a war zone with more empty sites than occupied. Since this is a RV forum, I wonder if the practice of converting RV sites to permanent occupancy is a factor in park numbers being down in some areas?