Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Snowbirds: RGV ten year trend
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Snowbirds

Open Roads Forum  >  Snowbirds

> RGV ten year trend

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
westernrvparkowner

montana

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/19 11:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

alfredmay wrote:

WesternRVParkOwner,

Some of what you say it true but much is not.
There are three airports in the RGV. United, Delta. American and Southwest fly into them. I myself now fly to the RGV from NJ on a one stop flight.

There are professional sports teams in the RGV. They are minor league and play soccer and basketball.

The University of Texas RGV plays Division 1 sports in everything except football. They belong to the WAC.

There is a world class beach.

No one place has the best of everything. The airports in the RGV are smaller, but you can get to every major city in the USA with only one connection. There are entertainment venues but they are not Las Vegas style places......... of course Las Vegas has no beach.

No one place suits everyone.. The RGV of 10 years ago is not the RGV today. A lot has charged.
Perception is reality when it comes to choosing places to snowbird. The southern border of Texas is perceived to be unsafe. The Rio Grand Valley is not perceived to be as culturally vibrant as the Phoenix area, southern California or Southern Florida. Minor league soccer is not perceived to be an equal to professional football in LA, Tampa, Jacksonville (and whatever you call what the Dolphins and the Cardinals are rolling out onto the field this year.). Three and a half hours away from San Antonio does not make Donna Texas commuting distance for shopping, dining and entertainment. When you ask most people where in the US do they want to take a winter vacation, Brownsville and McAllen, Texas just isn't on the list.
These observations are not intended to denigrate where you choose to winter, it is intended to answer the observations of the Original Post as to why it appears the number of Winter Texans are declining. The shortest answer comes from Bob Dylan: "Times, they are a changin'".

CFerguson

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/19 12:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

westernrvparkowner wrote:

alfredmay wrote:

WesternRVParkOwner,

Some of what you say it true but much is not.
There are three airports in the RGV. United, Delta. American and Southwest fly into them. I myself now fly to the RGV from NJ on a one stop flight.

There are professional sports teams in the RGV. They are minor league and play soccer and basketball.

The University of Texas RGV plays Division 1 sports in everything except football. They belong to the WAC.

There is a world class beach.

No one place has the best of everything. The airports in the RGV are smaller, but you can get to every major city in the USA with only one connection. There are entertainment venues but they are not Las Vegas style places......... of course Las Vegas has no beach.

No one place suits everyone.. The RGV of 10 years ago is not the RGV today. A lot has charged.
Perception is reality when it comes to choosing places to snowbird. The southern border of Texas is perceived to be unsafe. The Rio Grand Valley is not perceived to be as culturally vibrant as the Phoenix area, southern California or Southern Florida. Minor league soccer is not perceived to be an equal to professional football in LA, Tampa, Jacksonville (and whatever you call what the Dolphins and the Cardinals are rolling out onto the field this year.). Three and a half hours away from San Antonio does not make Donna Texas commuting distance for shopping, dining and entertainment. When you ask most people where in the US do they want to take a winter vacation, Brownsville and McAllen, Texas just isn't on the list.
These observations are not intended to denigrate where you choose to winter, it is intended to answer the observations of the Original Post as to why it appears the number of Winter Texans are declining. The shortest answer comes from Bob Dylan: "Times, they are a changin'".

Good thing Your perception isn't Everyone's perception.

pawatt

Brainerd MN / Palmview TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/15/19 01:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We happen to love the Rio Grande Valley and all it has to offer and would not wish to go elsewhere especially Florida. At the moment I do not have time to list all the positives of the Valley because it is a very long list. This will be our 17th season in the Valley so we have thoroughly explored the area and all that it has to offer. We keep very busy and have never played shuffleboard or bingo and attended very few potlucks.

Edd505

Elephant Butte, NM

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/15/19 08:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I live in the RGV and one of the best things it has to offer is good weather year round and tons of history. I snowbird to AZ where the weathers even warmer in the winter. Being retired over 55 parks can be a plus, I raised my kids and a bunch of foster kids. What I avoid is anything with resort in it's name, they tend to be over priced crammed together lots. Many "resorts" are designed for park models and rent unsold lots. I have been in a "resort" where I couldn't even deploy my awnings w/o hitting the neighbor. I tend to light in an area, visit anything that attracts me and move onto the next stop.

2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

alfredmay

West Milford, NJ / Donna, TX

View Profile

Posted: 09/16/19 07:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Western RV Park Owner,

Perception is NOT reality............ perception is perception. If you and many others perceive the RGV to be what you say it is then that is most likely why numbers are down. However, in my park the trend is up for the last two years. I do not know if this is just in my park and a few others or if this is the new norm for the RGV.

Alfred May
2005 Excursion V10 4.30 4x4
2002 Cedar Creek 30RBS TT by Forest River
Reese Dual Cam
Tekonsha Prodigy

TomG2

Central Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/19 12:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I Wintered in Florida for the first four years of my retirement and then realized I was paying one hundred percent more for a five percent improvement in weather. Thus, I now Winter in the RGV. I did not have to spend a single Winter in Arizona to verify the same price differential. People talk and word gets around pretty quickly about such things. Money might not matter to most of you.

Alamo Rec-Veh RV Park in Alamo, Texas is pretty full every winter. Nice parks like Texas Trails look like a war zone with more empty sites than occupied. Since this is a RV forum, I wonder if the practice of converting RV sites to permanent occupancy is a factor in park numbers being down in some areas?

jrs1871

Kansas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/19/19 06:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow!!! I read some of these comments and don't know whether to respond but decided I would. Yes, occupancy in some of the parks took a hit starting about four years ago. That is also when the Canadian dollar took a huge hit in the exchange rate and even now that exchange rate is not great. Also our Canadian friends have to buy out of country medical insurance which can get prohibitively expensive as you get older or have health issues.
True, the RGV doesn't have any professional football teams like CA, AZ or FL. But many retired folks are not into dropping $100+ for an afternoon at the stadium. The local colleges and the minor (instructional) league hockey and basketball teams do provide affordable experiences for the sports enthusiasts. The local golf courses may not be as immaculate as Palm Springs but they are also definitely more affordable.
There is a plethora of activities available in most parks and through out the valley. While shuffleboard and pickle ball are quite popular, they are not the only activities available. And many of the parks, that I am familiar with, are adding activities at the request of the younger, more active retirees. The biggest problem is finding someone willing to head up an activity as not all parks have paid activity directors.
Has the valley changed in the 16 years we have been coming down? You bet it has. One of the original attractions was affordability and it still is. But we also like the variety of attractions and activities within a relatively close distance. If the perception among some folks is that the RGV is Hicksville, USA, so be it. In the meantime those of us that choose to winter there will continue to enjoy all it has to offer.

* This post was edited 09/20/19 06:31am by jrs1871 *

Edd505

Elephant Butte, NM

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/20/19 07:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jrs1871 wrote:

Wow!!! I read some of these comments and don't know whether to respond but decided I would. Yes, occupancy in some of the parks took a hit starting about four years ago. That is also when the Canadian dollar took a huge hit in the exchange rate and even now that exchange rate is not great. Also our Canadian friends have to buy out of country medical insurance which can get prohibitively expensive as you get older or have health issues.
True, the RGV doesn't have any professional football teams like CA, AZ or FL. But many retired folks are not into dropping $100+ for an afternoon at the stadium. The local colleges and the minor (instructional) league hockey and basketball teams do provide affordable experiences for the sports enthusiasts. The local golf courses may not be as immaculate as Palm Springs but they are also definitely more affordable.
There is a plethora of activities available in most parks and through out the valley. While shuffleboard and pickle ball are quite popular, they are not the only activities available. And many of the parks, that I am familiar with, are adding activities at the request of the younger, more active retirees. The biggest problem is finding someone willing to head up an activity as not all parks have paid activity directors.
Has the valley changed in the 16 years we have been coming down? You bet it has. One of the original attractions was affordability and it still is. But we also like the variety of attractions and activities within a relatively close distance. If the perception among some folks is that the RGV is Hicksville, USA, so be it. In the meantime those of us that choose to winter there will continue to enjoy all it has to offer.

On the spots games, local high schools & collages provide more entertainment than the over paid cry babies playing pro sports. Matt Ryan is the NFL's first $30 million-per-year player after agreeing to a five-year, $150 million contract extension with the Atlanta Falcons on Thursday. No one is worth that much ...............

Bea PA

Waynesboro, PA, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/20/19 09:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We used to do every 3rd year in the valley and I really miss it. We could dance somewhere every single day of the week. Now we go to FL because it is 810 miles closer, fortunately the park we are in has lots of activities but hard to find places to dance.

Bea PA
Down sized Winnebago 2012 24V Class C
2003 Gold Wing 1800 recently triked (Big Red)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Snowbirds

> RGV ten year trend
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Snowbirds

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.