cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Norcold LI-op Error Code

dedmiston
My Norcold fridge started beeping in the middle of the night. Sleepy me went out in the rain and switched over to the other LP tank, lit a stove burner to bleed the line, and then switched the fridge off and on to recognize the LP source.

Then awake me remembered that we're not dry camping as usual and we have full hookups. Running out of propane like we did shouldn't matter.

Then I realized that I didn't recognize the code, so I looked it up in the manual:

• Fault Code: "LI" "oP"
  • Fault Code Meaning: The high temperature limit switch is open.
  • Corrective Actions: This is not owner serviceable. See your dealer or authorized service center.

I know "not owner serviceable" is pretty clear, but does anyone know of a field fix for this? We're in a very remote spot in northern Michigan and service isn't going to be easy. It's stormy tonight and supposed to rain all day. I'd rather not have to break camp and hit the road if we don't have to.

EDIT: According to the manual, this is a "121X Series" fridge.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230
10 REPLIES 10

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We reset ours with a magnet - very high humidity for a long period of time caused ours to trip. It's been fine since.

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
dedmiston wrote:
Itโ€™s been nearly three weeks and we havenโ€™t had any more problems with the fridge, so Iโ€™m willing to call this a fluke and possibly blame it on the heavy storm from that night. Iโ€™m so grateful that the magnet worked.

I think you're right. After having the overheating cutout box replaced once, we had it trip again after the detailing guys pressure washed the rig. I found moisture inside the frig vent area. After drying that out, I used the magnet to reset the reed switch. It has worked just fine ever since.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

dedmiston
Itโ€™s been nearly three weeks and we havenโ€™t had any more problems with the fridge, so Iโ€™m willing to call this a fluke and possibly blame it on the heavy storm from that night. Iโ€™m so grateful that the magnet worked.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
dougrainer wrote:
If you open up the outside access door you will see a Red LED light on a black box. That is the Temp sensor control. Li-op is the same code as NO CO. Your Box is wired thru the main control board so will show Li-op. You state it is raining. See if the rear area of the refer and that box has water on it. THAT will trip the boxes. The only recourse you have is to do the Magnet trick. The other is NOT a good idea---bypassing the control box. As another stated, the Limit system is there for SAFETY. In normal operation, it will trip and shut the refer down when the flue area gets over 700 degrees. The normal temp is around 350 degrees. The correct safe procedure when this Li-op happens is to have the refer and system checked by a qualified Norcold technician to verify there is NOT a safety hazard and the system did its job. Doug

^^ This is the most informed response. Listen to him.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
Yep. The magnet thing seems to be the official response for it. Worked for me a couple of months back after a frog-strangler rain one night.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

dedmiston
I reset it about 90 minutes ago and the fridge seems happy for now. Iโ€™ll keep an eye on it.

Half the people in camp were outside this morning dealing with various issues from last nightโ€™s storm. The gods seemed to have a score to settle with some of us.

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

steelhunter
Explorer
Explorer
My coach is only a few months old and had this problem.
I took it in and had it checked out and they couldn't find a problem.

It only happens on hot days when the refrigerator side is exposed to direct sunshine. The coach has dark paint thus aggravating the problem.

I take the cover off and let it cool down and then reset with a magnet.

Shade from the awning prevents this
problem.

I should put a small fan in the compartment but it's not enough of a problem to motivate me.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
If you open up the outside access door you will see a Red LED light on a black box. That is the Temp sensor control. Li-op is the same code as NO CO. Your Box is wired thru the main control board so will show Li-op. You state it is raining. See if the rear area of the refer and that box has water on it. THAT will trip the boxes. The only recourse you have is to do the Magnet trick. The other is NOT a good idea---bypassing the control box. As another stated, the Limit system is there for SAFETY. In normal operation, it will trip and shut the refer down when the flue area gets over 700 degrees. The normal temp is around 350 degrees. The correct safe procedure when this Li-op happens is to have the refer and system checked by a qualified Norcold technician to verify there is NOT a safety hazard and the system did its job. Doug

Itinerant1
Explorer
Explorer
It could be that the switch just failed "OR" you have an issue in your flue (burner tube area). Have you serviced (checked/ cleaned) the tube area?

That temp switch is there for a reason.;)
12v 500ah, 20 cells_ 4s5p (GBS LFMP battery system). 8 CTI 160 watt panels (1,280 watts)2s4p,Panels mounted flat. Magnum PT100 SCC, Magnum 3012 hybrid inverter, ME-ARC 50. Installed 4/2016 been on 24/7/365, daily 35-45% DOD 2,500+ partial cycles.

dedmiston
After a little more rainy night Googling, I did find THIS THREAD that discusses resetting the switch with a magnet. I'll give it a try in the morning when it's light out.

Fingers crossed.

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230