Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Chevy, Ford... going into electric trucks.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Chevy, Ford... going into electric trucks.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 37  
Prev  |  Next
Groover

Pulaski, TN

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/19 06:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The biggest threat to green power?

NIMBYs!

ShinerBock

SATX

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/19 06:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

Hi,

I had the misfortune to run out of fuel twice on my 1987 class c diesel. Why? Mechanical failure of a fuel transfer switch. Was that my fault? I don't think so.

However the knuckle heads in this video deliberately sabotaged their trip. Nor did they slow down to increase range.

ShinerBock wrote:

I am surprised nobody commented on this.

Teslas CAN'T Tow Across Country — Watch Us Try and FAIL!

And I am sure that my friend who is the regional Tesla technician can tell you about all sorts of Tesla failures, but that was not what that video was about. It was about using the Tesla exactly how you would a regular ICE tow vehicle(speed and all) to see how they compare. You can't do an honest comparison between two different things if you give one the edge.

I know some of the EV fanboys like to look at anything EV through rose colored glasses and refuse to see any downsides, but the truth is there are currently many draw backs when using EV's as tow vehicles that don't seem to be rectified anytime soon. Range, extended time, not enough charger space, and so on are all downsides of towing with an EV. Don't get me wrong, they are great for urban/metro areas unloaded, but they have a long way to go to be used as a cross country tow vehicle.

ShinerBock

SATX

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/19 06:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

thomas201 wrote:

I love everyone making future projections about trends and oil/gas prices. Having worked with people that did this voodoo I will let you in on the big secret. At least for oil and gas. They do it the other way around. By using the futures market for hedges and collars, they force a price that is used in project decisions. In effect a price is forced by these tools so we know the price into the future. Farmers do the same thing, I assume everyone in a commodity business does it the same way.

In the oil business the ones that don't are gobbled up by those that do. Farmers too (you get to know a lot of farmers in the O&G biz). Somebody that can hedge/collar really well is worth their price in gold.

Of course your predictions are just as good as the next gal/feller.

Pros don't predict, they fix the game.

While this is true to an extent. If we had to drill/frac just for natural gas, it would increase it's cost by ten (if not a hundred) fold. Since we are drilling for oil and natural gas comes out as a byproduct, it's cost is low.

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/17/19 07:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ShinerBock wrote:

Because it's laughable!

When did Tesla said the X is for towing?

Why not do the same on the Tesla semis?

Or, wait to test the Tesla pick-up that Musk said has towing capability as that of the F150.

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/17/19 07:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1320Fastback wrote:

Turtle n Peeps wrote:

Electric car clean? Ha, ha, ha...…

Let me show you just one of the problems mining has caused? This coper mine was called "the mine that electrified America." Mining for copper caused this super fund site. This site makes one of the top ten super fund sites in this country. It is such a huge problem just like a nuclear waste site, the fix has to be operated forever. Forever is a long time for a fix.

While on vacation a few months ago I got to visit and see this super fund site. Crazy problem. And like I said above, the fix has to be applied forever. Forever!

This pit has over 40 BILLION gallons of highly toxic water in it.

Check out what happened when over 25,000 geese landed in this toxic soup super fund site.

Nice hu? This is just one copper mine. Just one. How many more mines do you think are going to be made to keep up with the electric car demand? Remember, this is just one mineral and does not even talk about the others that are needed to manufacture LI batteries.

[image]

[image]

A PH of 2.5! Nice hu?

Unfortunately reality does not fit their narrative of clean electric vehicles.

Seriously, photovoltaic and EV batteries caused all of these?

It's just been here less than a decade.

What would blame them next, wind-mill causing cancer?

Bedlam

PNW

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/19 07:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Even my Chevy Sonic has 200 miles range when towing 2000 lbs. I was replacing the batteries stuffed in my truck and RV and did not want to take into city, so I used the car:

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

Chevy Sonic 1.8-Honda Passport C70B-Host Mammoth 11.5-Interstate Car Carrier 20-Joyner SandViper 250-Kawasaki Concours ZG1000-Paros 8' flatbed-Pelican Decker DLX 8.75-Ram 5500 HD-Tank Urban Touring 150SE-VW TransBuggy 1200

ShinerBock

SATX

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/19 07:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

ShinerBock wrote:

Because it's laughable!

Or, wait to test the Tesla pick-up that Musk said has towing capability as that of the F150.

Then why did they give it a 5k tow rating?

Give them a Tesla semi and I am sure they will test it.

* This post was edited 09/17/19 08:01am by ShinerBock *

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/17/19 08:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ShinerBock wrote:

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

ShinerBock wrote:

Because it's laughable!

Then why did they give it a 5k tow rating?

Give them a Tesla semi and I am sure they will test it.

My car can tow. Guess what I use for towing even the smallest U-Haul trailers?

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/19 08:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most of the model X’s we see towing around here are boats and pop ups. Mostly week end campers. I’ve talked to a few. They seem pretty happy with their SUV’s.

Turtle n Peeps

California

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/19 08:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

Seriously, photovoltaic and EV batteries caused all of these?

It's just been here less than a decade.

What would blame them next, wind-mill causing cancer?

Here, let me type slower. Try to follow along.

*You need copper (and many other rare earth minerals) to make things "go" on electricity. Motors take A LOT of copper. So do transmission lines to bring the electricity to the consumer. So do generators that make the electricity.

*Those minerals come out of the ground.

*When you make a pit mine to get these minerals it causes LOTS of Toxic waste.

* This waste is very, very toxic.

* A lot of the super fund sites in the US are mines that mine for rare earth minerals.

* We will need a lot more of these mines to get more and more copper out of the ground for electric cars and transmission lines.

I won't even go into the problems Lithium mining causes. That is a whole other kettle of fish. And it's rotting fish at that. In some ways worse that mining for copper.

Do you get it now YS? If not I might try to explain it more to you when I have time. [emoticon]

BTW, there is no "Tesla Semi" and never will be. Tesla is being sued into red ink as I type this.

Any bets whether Tesla is going to make money this Qt? I'm game if you are. Remember, Tusk said "going forward.........." [emoticon]

~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 37  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Chevy, Ford... going into electric trucks.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.