Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Back hurting from bed in travel trailer - need advice please
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Back hurting from bed in travel trailer - need advice please

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Boomerweps

Hills of PA

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/19 10:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Which Wolf Pup? I have the 16BHS.
That mattress you got worked great for me with a 2-3" topper. I'm about 205# 6'1".
On my Pup, I have an east west bed and removed the headboard shelf and threw a body pillow in the open storage space. I think a standard house size Queen mattress would now fit in my TT.
You could get a thicker standard queen foam mattress locally, remove any cloth cover, and cut it to fit short with a serrated knife. An electric carving knife is highly recommended.

2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited
2019 F150 SCrew STX SB 5.0 factory tow package

OregonMan

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/19 10:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Boomerweps wrote:

Which Wolf Pup? I have the 16BHS.
That mattress you got worked great for me with a 2-3" topper. I'm about 205# 6'1".
On my Pup, I have an east west bed and removed the headboard shelf and threw a body pillow in the open storage space. I think a standard house size Queen mattress would now fit in my TT.
You could get a thicker standard queen foam mattress locally, remove any cloth cover, and cut it to fit short with a serrated knife. An electric carving knife is highly recommended.

Yup that's what I've got... the 16BHS.

When you say the mattress "worked" great, does that mean you no longer use it?

Actually thought about the idea of carving down a bigger mattress but it seems risky, like if I mess up then I'm out of luck... and not sure I want to cut into a mattress in general.

What I feel like I really need is a 12" extra firm memory foam mattress and that would really do the trick for me. My memory foam mattress in my apartment was 12" and nice and firm and I loved it.

DutchmenSport

Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/13/19 10:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Maybe the mattress is TOO soft! Ever consider that. A TOO soft mattress on the back can cause back pain much more than too firm. When we moved from soft mattresses to firmer mattresses (in the house and the campers), I quit having back problems. (years ago).

If you sleep comfortable in your house, then get the same mattress for your camper also.

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/19 10:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just used egg crate foam material from a fabric store. Turned my old mattress from what yours is to very comfortable.

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

OregonMan

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/19 11:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DutchmenSport wrote:

Maybe the mattress is TOO soft! Ever consider that. A TOO soft mattress on the back can cause back pain much more than too firm. When we moved from soft mattresses to firmer mattresses (in the house and the campers), I quit having back problems. (years ago).

If you sleep comfortable in your house, then get the same mattress for your camper also.

Yup I think that's the issue. My mattress in my apartment was 12" thick and firm... that's what I am now seeking for my trailer. A 12" short queen firm memory foam mattress would save the day I think. If you have any recommendations that would be awesome. I'd like to avoid spending $450 on a new mattress if I can...

ependydad

Here and there

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/13/19 11:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OregonMan wrote:

I'd like to avoid spending $450 on a new mattress if I can...

(shrug) Getting rid of back pain is worth way more than $450 to me.

2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2012 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: B&W Turnover Ball + Companion
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

DutchmenSport

Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/13/19 11:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OregonMan wrote:

... any recommendations ...

We have Serta's firm (extra firm was too hard) in the house and the camper. They came with a sheep.

hotjag1

Lake Chelan, Wa/Lake Havasu, Az.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/13/19 11:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ependydad wrote:

We opted to spend the money for a Sleep Number bed and our backs couldn't be happier about it.

IMO, spend the money on a good bed.

I agree with getting a Sleep Number bed. Adjust it to whatever firmness or softness feels the most comfortable.

hotjag1
2003 40' Allegro Bus, 3 slides, 400hp 8.9 liter ISL Cummins

2000 24' Dynamax Isata

STANG23L

Osceola, WI

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/19 11:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I picked up a Dynasty Mattress 10GEL from amazon. Was a little leery seeing the price point is pretty low. But have been extremely happy with it. Prefer it over mattress in my house!

2014 Ram 1500 Eco Diesel

aysstephanie

Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/19 12:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here's a good blog on the topic: https://rvpartshop.com/module/csblog/post/41-1-how-to-find-the-perfect-rv-mattress.html

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Back hurting from bed in travel trailer - need advice please
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS