cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Would appreciate the groups thoughts on tandem axle issue

bandj0521
Explorer
Explorer
We bought this 2018 Shadow Cruiser 20' TT with rear slide out June 2019. The trailer was supposed to be new. Since purchase we had been waiting to take it back to the dealer for cosmetic warranty repairs we discovered at time of pickup. we took it on one trip three weeks ago (140 miles round trip). I took it back to the dealer two weeks ago for the warranty work to be completed and picked it up last evening.

On the drive home, I was flagged over by a passing construction guy who said i was about to lose my rear axle. I immediately stopped and found the right rear tire of the second axle bowed and showing wire cording four inches across the tire. I limped to a place to change the right rear tire, then limped another 6 miles at 10 miles an hour to my home.

can anyone tell me what would cause this? Again, I only put about 180 miles on the unit since purchase (including back and forth to the dealer). I have been told the axle is probably shot, and may have been put on upside down? I have not idea, but the front axle has a bow (as it should) the rear axle is level.

Appreciate any responses as i await a response from my emails and phone calls to the dealer.

I have pics, but i don't know how to post them in here. Would appreciate help on that too..

thank you,

Jay

https://imgur.com/zTFzvkr
https://imgur.com/M1qz7fw
https://imgur.com/LE6sPqq
37 REPLIES 37

bandj0521
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All, just wanted to give an update for those that may be interested.....this is a 2018 20' Shadow Cruiser with a rear slide out sofa.

after 6 weeks, finally picked up the TT this morning from the dealership. Although there is other " cosmetic warranty" stuff to fix, the TT does have two new Dexter 3500# axles and four new Carlisle Load Range D tires on it!!!! What a fiasco.....Our dealership, Dolney RV, definitely needs to improve on their customer service...even knowing we would be there at 9 this a.m. to pick it up, it was back in the service/storage area with a dead battery!!!! They could of least had checked that knowing it sat there for 6 weeks!

Anyway, it appears they gave me what I asked for....the axles are definitely new, as are the hubs, and u-bolts and nuts used to attach said things....new brake wiring too, at least from the hubs to existing wiring. All nice and shiny under there now!

First thing I noticed when I looked under the TT was the bow in the axles! I know there was no bow at least in the rear axle when we initially looked to buy the TT (I just didn't realize what I should have been seeing then).

So...we have a five day trip planned next week...we'll see how it goes. I even want to post pics of the new axles they look so nice......lol

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
bandj0521 wrote:
.then I may look into getting an attorney and force the dealership to buy the TT back.

Don't waste your time and money on that course of action. You have zero recourse in Michigan, so anything the dealer offers truly is actually better than they owe you.

There's good info from this Michigan attorney in this video (he also a few follow up videos on this topic): https://youtu.be/IP_u2JR51_Y
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

bandj0521
Explorer
Explorer
trail-explorer wrote:
What's the latest updates on the project?

Thank you for checking back on it...well....the dealer called me last week and told me that the "company" has to make the axles for our trailer, ship them to the mfg (shadow cruiser) and delivery to the dealership would not be until October 12!

I asked him if this was an axle recall issue under the 2017 2018 Shadow Cruiser problems I've been reading about. He didn't know. He said because of my low mileage, the "company" was "good willing" the axles to Shadow Cruiser and Shadow Cruiser was "good willing" the four new tires, "because that is what I asked for". (I'm suspicious)

The axle "company" is Dexter, I found out....I told him that, "I've been working with someone on this issue and found that there have been a lot of problems with axles on Shadow Cruiser units, and I wanted to know if this issue was related to a recall." He didn't know.

I suspect that in fact, this problem was related to one of the recalls from 2017-2018 Shadow Cruiser TT's and that is why I am getting new axles and tires. I am at the dealership's and Shadow Cruiser's mercy as to when the get the parts to the dealership ultimately.

I asked if the dealership would give us a "loaner" TT (as they rent TT's and it's mid-October when we would need it (we r in Michigan-so low demand). The dealership guy said he checked and they could not loan one, but would give us a reduced rental rate. I unloaded a bit on him about buying a new trailer from them May 30, and used it once, now we haven't had use of it for months...so they ultimately sold me a defective product. He said he "didn't know what to say, other than I am working on this problem for you."

My plan is to call the Shadow Cruiser 800 number and inquire as to if this dealership was notified of axle recalls for 2017-2018 Shadow Cruisers. "IF" they tell me they notified all dealerships....then I may look into getting an attorney and force the dealership to buy the TT back.

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
What's the latest updates on the project?
Bob

The_McClearys
Explorer
Explorer
Both Lippert and Dexter have had problems with the 2 3/8 diameter axels and springs on 2018 Travel Trailers. Some of the Axels do not hold the weight they were rated for. They bend when put into use. Both Lippert and Dexter have 5 year warranties. Contact the manufacturer of your axels and report the problem. They have been shipping Upraded, entire new axels and springs to the complainants or to your dealer.
By the time I pay for all the upgrades I want, it is time to buy a new one.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
The recall was for brake problems caused by axles installed "backwards". Probably reversed left to right. your problem is simply light weight flimsy axles that couldn't stand any abuse.

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
bandj0521 wrote:
Hey all, we got the trailer to the dealership on Friday, safely. Spoke again with their "warranty guy"...I asked to speak to the General Manger but, "he is busy and doesn't usually handles such things." We made it clear what we wanted....two new axles and four tires replaced by Oct 4 (because we have our trip planned for the 9th).

Got a call today! that everything is in motion and the dealership should be getting the axles and tires within a day or two!....I tried to ask some additional questions, but was told all is going well and that he had other customers to attend to (hmmmmmm)....i said, so Crusier is sending two new axles and four new tires "yep"...i asked why the sudden change it's just been a few days since we brought the TT back. "We needed to measure the camber and submit it to them and they were good."

I am still suspicious.. I finally googled Cruiser RV Axle Issues and found this!

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/recalls/cruiser-rv-recalls-shadow-cruiser-ultra-lite-recreational-trailers-100417.html

Maybe this is why they are all of sudden moving on my problem?? BTW, I am going to call the toll free number tomorrow and see what they say and explain my situation....maybe I'll get something extra! :R

That recall was from 2017. Your TT is a 2019.
If they were still building them that way in 2019, after a recall...... That would make my skin crawl.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
carringb wrote:
Bert Ackerman wrote:

How high would you have to raise the tongue to reach the extent of equalizer travel? I don't know but would think pretty high as in at least a foot or two, or more?

Probably more like half a foot. You could run the tongue jack up and down and check for sure, but it doesn't take much. And it could have been just one bad bridge transition that initially bent the axle. I've seen plenty of delivery drivers tow lightweight trailers sky-high, because they don't want to take the time to adjust their hitch. Or if if was towed behind a dovetail flatbed truck (where another trailer is carried on the deck), they can't lower it without striking the hitch at every driveway.
That can't be right. I have been parking my TTs on a driveway that slopes a lot more than a foot for 27+ years. I have had the axles out of all of them for various upgrades many times in that location. My equalizers are not even close to running out of travel.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2 bathrooms, no waiting
17.5LRH commercial tires

bandj0521
Explorer
Explorer
Hey all, we got the trailer to the dealership on Friday, safely. Spoke again with their "warranty guy"...I asked to speak to the General Manger but, "he is busy and doesn't usually handles such things." We made it clear what we wanted....two new axles and four tires replaced by Oct 4 (because we have our trip planned for the 9th).

Got a call today! that everything is in motion and the dealership should be getting the axles and tires within a day or two!....I tried to ask some additional questions, but was told all is going well and that he had other customers to attend to (hmmmmmm)....i said, so Crusier is sending two new axles and four new tires "yep"...i asked why the sudden change it's just been a few days since we brought the TT back. "We needed to measure the camber and submit it to them and they were good."

I am still suspicious.. I finally googled Cruiser RV Axle Issues and found this!

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/recalls/cruiser-rv-recalls-shadow-cruiser-ultra-lite-recreational-trailers-100417.html

Maybe this is why they are all of sudden moving on my problem?? BTW, I am going to call the toll free number tomorrow and see what they say and explain my situation....maybe I'll get something extra! :R

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
I have been thru this exact thing. I played around with a useless dealer as well, then fixed it myself. In the long run, this was the best decision because I now have much stronger custom made axles and no worries about bending flimsy junk like the originals.
X2
Sadly, the industry equips our units with the bare minimum.

Read the many threads here on this site. There is a common theme.

Tires that fail and axles that bend.

We are told by some self appointed experts that it is our fault, as we subject these items to abuse.... And our only choice is to replace what broke with the exact same thing..... And be more careful!

A few of us see it differently. That there is a better way. Upgrade what broke!

Sure in a perfect world, our units would come with more robust components.... But until that happens (don't hold your breath) we have a choice. Fix our units the way they came from the factory.... Or fix them better than they came from the factory.

Your money, your choice.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2 bathrooms, no waiting
17.5LRH commercial tires

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
I have been thru this exact thing. I played around with a useless dealer as well, then fixed it myself. In the long run, this was the best decision because I now have much stronger custom made axles and no worries about bending flimsy junk like the originals.

badsix
Explorer
Explorer
your kinda caught between a rock and a hard spot on this. the dealer is probably going to say you did it and your going say no it was like that when I got it. your best approach might be you by the axel and he installs it free.
Jay D.

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
Bert Ackerman wrote:

How high would you have to raise the tongue to reach the extent of equalizer travel? I don't know but would think pretty high as in at least a foot or two, or more?

Probably more like half a foot. You could run the tongue jack up and down and check for sure, but it doesn't take much. And it could have been just one bad bridge transition that initially bent the axle. I've seen plenty of delivery drivers tow lightweight trailers sky-high, because they don't want to take the time to adjust their hitch. Or if if was towed behind a dovetail flatbed truck (where another trailer is carried on the deck), they can't lower it without striking the hitch at every driveway.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

Bert_Ackerman
Explorer
Explorer
badsix wrote:
carringb wrote:
There's a good chance it was overloaded during factory delivery, by a truck with the hitch too high. Once the limits of the spring equalizers are reached, the rear axle quickly becomes overloaded. Same with the tires. The proper fix is a new axle and rear tires.

this is probably what happened with the rear axel carrying most of the weight to a point that it was overloaded.
Jay D.