Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Would appreciate the groups thoughts on tandem axle issue
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Would appreciate the groups thoughts on tandem axle issue

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/19/19 02:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not to sound trite or accusatory, but was the axle like this when you bought it? Did you look? How level or flat is the trailer behind your truck?
Yes that axle is bent to _____ and the fix is easy. New axle(bolt on) and some new tires.
Didn’t see where you live but quite possible it got towed nose up from the mfg to the dealer much further than you’ve towed. Almost not possible to wear a tire that bad in that few of miles.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

bandj0521

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 09/19/19 03:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit Dog, I didn't look at the axles before we purchased it. I didn't know then what I do now, about axles. I presumed that it was "new" we would not have had an issue. The driveway is pretty bubble flat, so trailer is as well.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/19/19 08:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With that wear I would be inspecting a bit closer to see where the actual damage is located. Looks bad enough you should spot something bent or running gear loose. Otherwise +1 for a new axle.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/19/19 11:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bandj0521 wrote:

Grit Dog, I didn't look at the axles before we purchased it. I didn't know then what I do now, about axles. I presumed that it was "new" we would not have had an issue. The driveway is pretty bubble flat, so trailer is as well.

Ok. My point was trying to establish when the axle was damaged. Your presumption should have been correct btw. And no dealer with any conscience would let that trailer drive off.
Still a 99% chance you didn’t cause it. Be firm with the dealer that this problem had to exist before you took delivery.
Good luck in getting it fixed quickly so you don’t lose much time with it

Bert Ackerman

Palm Beach

View Profile

Posted: 09/20/19 04:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

badsix wrote:

carringb wrote:

There's a good chance it was overloaded during factory delivery, by a truck with the hitch too high. Once the limits of the spring equalizers are reached, the rear axle quickly becomes overloaded. Same with the tires. The proper fix is a new axle and rear tires.

this is probably what happened with the rear axel carrying most of the weight to a point that it was overloaded.
Jay D.

How high would you have to raise the tongue to reach the extent of equalizer travel? I don't know but would think pretty high as in at least a foot or two, or more?

carringb

Corvallis, OR

View Profile

Posted: 09/20/19 07:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bert Ackerman wrote:

How high would you have to raise the tongue to reach the extent of equalizer travel? I don't know but would think pretty high as in at least a foot or two, or more?

Probably more like half a foot. You could run the tongue jack up and down and check for sure, but it doesn't take much. And it could have been just one bad bridge transition that initially bent the axle. I've seen plenty of delivery drivers tow lightweight trailers sky-high, because they don't want to take the time to adjust their hitch. Or if if was towed behind a dovetail flatbed truck (where another trailer is carried on the deck), they can't lower it without striking the hitch at every driveway.

Bryan

2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

badsix

north bend or.

View Profile

Posted: 09/20/19 08:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

your kinda caught between a rock and a hard spot on this. the dealer is probably going to say you did it and your going say no it was like that when I got it. your best approach might be you by the axel and he installs it free.
Jay D.

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/21/19 12:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have been thru this exact thing. I played around with a useless dealer as well, then fixed it myself. In the long run, this was the best decision because I now have much stronger custom made axles and no worries about bending flimsy junk like the originals.

Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

View Profile

Posted: 09/21/19 02:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lynnmor wrote:

I have been thru this exact thing. I played around with a useless dealer as well, then fixed it myself. In the long run, this was the best decision because I now have much stronger custom made axles and no worries about bending flimsy junk like the originals.
X2
Sadly, the industry equips our units with the bare minimum.

Read the many threads here on this site. There is a common theme.

Tires that fail and axles that bend.

We are told by some self appointed experts that it is our fault, as we subject these items to abuse.... And our only choice is to replace what broke with the exact same thing..... And be more careful!

A few of us see it differently. That there is a better way. Upgrade what broke!

Sure in a perfect world, our units would come with more robust components.... But until that happens (don't hold your breath) we have a choice. Fix our units the way they came from the factory.... Or fix them better than they came from the factory.

Your money, your choice.

Huntindog
100% boondocking
2010 Palomino Sabre 30 BHDS
84 gal. Grey. 84 gal. Black
2 bathrooms, no waiting
2011 Silverado CC DA big dually.

bandj0521

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 09/24/19 04:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey all, we got the trailer to the dealership on Friday, safely. Spoke again with their "warranty guy"...I asked to speak to the General Manger but, "he is busy and doesn't usually handles such things." We made it clear what we wanted....two new axles and four tires replaced by Oct 4 (because we have our trip planned for the 9th).

Got a call today! that everything is in motion and the dealership should be getting the axles and tires within a day or two!....I tried to ask some additional questions, but was told all is going well and that he had other customers to attend to (hmmmmmm)....i said, so Crusier is sending two new axles and four new tires "yep"...i asked why the sudden change it's just been a few days since we brought the TT back. "We needed to measure the camber and submit it to them and they were good."

I am still suspicious.. I finally googled Cruiser RV Axle Issues and found this!

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/recalls/cruiser-rv-recalls-shadow-cruiser-ultra-lite-recreational-trailers-100417.html

Maybe this is why they are all of sudden moving on my problem?? BTW, I am going to call the toll free number tomorrow and see what they say and explain my situation....maybe I'll get something extra! [emoticon]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Would appreciate the groups thoughts on tandem axle issue
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS