cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

This charger/converter + this battery = ?

RKW
Explorer
Explorer
Progressive Dynamics 9145 (with Charge Wizard) + Mighty Max 12V 200Ah 4D SLA AGM Battery = ?

Good combination?
Ryan

• 2015 Ford F250

• 2015 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8280 WS

• Dual Honda EU2000i Generators

The wages of sin are death; but after they're done taking out taxes, it's just a tired feeling.
33 REPLIES 33

lenr
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm going to start a new thread instead of further hijacking. Thanks for the replies.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
lenr wrote:
Help my education: why is it especially important for AGMs to be charged at 14.4? 4 hours at 14.4 was mentioned above, but my Trojan T-105 AGM manual says to limit 14.4 absorption voltage to 2 hours. It does say to use a constant absorption voltage of 14.4.
Thanks.

First they say to keep it at 14.4 until amps taper to 0.5a /100AH of battery capacity. Then they say to limit the 14.4 to two hours? How do they know how long it will take to get to 0.5a ???

Also, the T-105 AGM is still a 6v batt, so it takes two to make 12v and that is about 220AH or whatever the AGM version is instead of the Wet's 225. (I forget the AGM number) so it will take a while to get to 1.0a for the 220ish AH. More than two hours!!!

IMO forget that, and go for the proper 0.5a/100AH and never mind how long it takes.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
lenr,

You should follow the maker's recommendations "to the letter".

Not all companies are specific--so 14.4 is a "safe" number for most.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

lenr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Help my education: why is it especially important for AGMs to be charged at 14.4? 4 hours at 14.4 was mentioned above, but my Trojan T-105 AGM manual says to limit 14.4 absorption voltage to 2 hours. It does say to use a constant absorption voltage of 14.4.
Thanks.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Yep and how about power post and home recovery ability? Most garbage can't acheive it connected for 1,000 hours

RKW
Explorer
Explorer
red31 wrote:
Wow, 4 hrs at the push of a button. Longer than generator time, nothing new!

I think the important thing, especially for AGM batteries, is the ability to prompt the charger to a 14.4 volt output.
Ryan

• 2015 Ford F250

The wages of sin are death; but after they're done taking out taxes, it's just a tired feeling.

red31
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, 4 hrs at the push of a button. Longer than generator time, nothing new!

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Well said LY318

landyacht318
Explorer
Explorer
Ive installed more than one pd9245 delivered here in california with the wizard. The measured voltages at output were slightly above specs. And pushbutton 4 more hours of 14.56v is a great feature, however no doubt some will stomp their feet at the temerity of a product forcing them to do anything.

RKW
Explorer
Explorer
Charge Wizard
Ryan

• 2015 Ford F250

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
If it actually initiates 14.4 regardless, that is a great option. I have read conflicting comments so I had to ask. Thank you, sir.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
Is the PD's Charge Wizard not available in California?

The CW is where you push the button and get four hours of 14.4v. If the PD goes into boost by itself (not using the CW) it will stay at 14.4 only as long as it thinks it needs to (not sure how it knows that), which could be two or three hours, whatever.

At least that is how I read the info on that. PD owners can confirm or correct.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Instead of blurbs and excerpts, I'll go into detail on the AGM charging matter.

• It's a lot easier to equalize a flooded battery correctly than it is to correctly CONDITION an absorbed glass mat battery
  • BOTH types of battery have absolutely no available device you can purchase to do the job correctly without modification
  • Batteries that are fully cycled like BFL13's are much more sensitive than a weekend warrior's
  • A thousand hours connected to a power pole manages to restore some of the ampere-hour shortage caused by pretend chargers
  • So my advice is almost always directed at AGMS that see generator charging or heavy cycling for longer than a week
  • Permanent loss of capacity may be restored by conditioning which only can be corrected by following Lifeline's conditioning instructions to the letter
  • No pretend charger can even approach this
  • Recharging a slightly cycled AGM with 100 hours of light cycling followed by a thousand hours of power pole charging is a world apart from a regimen of 50% discharging followed by attempting to recover by running a generator (2nd attempt at trying to explain this)
  • The more deep the discharge on ANY battery the more strict the 100% recovery becomes
  • A simple fix for a smart chargers major malfuntion would be to push a button and automatically initiate a four hour 14.40 voltage limited charge
  • The four hour charge would be very useful for wet battery recovery but California has legislated that this feature would be unlawful. Do you see any smart charger with this feature?
  • No way
  • Does the battery care what you think or California legislates?
  • No
  • It must follow the rules of chemistry and die an unnaturally early death
  • A 20% lack of battery capacity is almost impossible to confirm by guesswork
  • Your generator run time knows
  • If you don't mind paying for a 100 amp-hour battery and hauling around a 75 amp hour battery neither do I
  • It's when an AGM battery loses 35% or greater that most people realize something is not right
  • Only a full recovery conditioning can attempt to restore -some- of the lost capacity
  • This is not a disadvantage verus a wet battery which continues to sulfate
  • My nine-year old -lightly used- Lifeline battery was just measured ending Saturday
  • It retains 94% capacity
  • This is not phenomenal
  • A heavily cycled Lifeline would do the same after a thousand 50% cycles
  • Now stop and figure out your days of average vacation divided into one thousand
  • All due to the fact that the battery was not refilled to 100% EVER

None of this is important to people who don't mind purchasing new batteries every three years. In my case, eight hundred dollars means something to me -- a month's worth of pension needlessly lost.

And again I mention the difference between how hard you use a battery and the length of time it is subject to the abuse. And this is qualified by the amount percentage of undercharging and length of time spent undercharged.

People who scorn advice are the first to yell about how 200 amp hours runs out in the middle of the night.

Shortages are correctable but the correction is not automatically resolved by any converter. The most one can discover is the least offensive to rectify.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Choosing a converter because it is LEAST offensive to the battery does not quite add up. Most of the folks reading this thread have batteries that have lost most of their capacity. And then get upset that their heaterless experience leaves them uncomfortable at 0400. Well! Another set of batteries?