cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

dumb hitch ball question

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
Can we move our 2500rl Imagine TT safely within a storage facility using the hitch I use for my 22' boat?

I think the boat ball is 2" and the TT E2 hitch is 2 5/16.

Got a medical thing going on and just don't want to handle the E2 unless needed.

WE will be moving about 200 yards on pretty flat land.

Thanks
14 REPLIES 14

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
whiteeye42 wrote:
This is just being lazy and unsafe get a new hitch with the right size ball that way you just have to pull a pin and change the hitch and replace the pin

I've been called a lot of things but lazy is not one of them. I stated I have a hitch which is the right size in my post. I was asking for specific advice.

I have a picc line in my arm which restricts lifting weights.

Thanks to the early and quick advice we were able to move the the TT this morning with the 2" ball. The world did not end!

Thanks to all who offered real advice.

Someone please close this thread, I've had enough.

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
OTOH, might be a good reason to ask a capable friend or good neighbor to assist you and buy him a beer or two after. You don't have to rig the whole WDH, just the head unit with the ball.
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
I agree with him being fine with what he has.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
White eye you clearly didn't read the post. He isn't being lazy he had a medical issue.

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
Now Chris, being practical will get you no where here. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
Watch dealers move trailer with tractors- they never get out and lock the coupler. No worries, youโ€™ll be fine.
-- Chris Bryant

whiteeye42
Explorer
Explorer
This is just being lazy and unsafe get a new hitch with the right size ball that way you just have to pull a pin and change the hitch and replace the pin
Me,Wife two boys and two dogs
2008 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4x4 DRW 6.7 cummins
2008 Jayco Eagle 341 RLQS 37' with B&W turnover ball & companion hitch
using rotochoks
add state map

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
winniman wrote:
If the reason you are not changing balls is because you hate trying to get the ball off the drawtube, just buy another drawtube for the other ball. Those balls are all but impossible to remove. I have a different drawtube for every ball. I have at least 8 or 10 different ones for different trailers we own. Some need a drop, some are raised. 2", 1 7/8, 2 5/16, pintle hitches. Do yourself a favour, and do the safe thing. Just get another drawtube. Then all you have to do is pull a pin to change it. Cheers.

It sounds like the OP doesnโ€™t want to lift the heavy ball and drawbar for the 2 5/16 and is actually planning to use a different, lighter drawbar with a 2โ€ ball on it.

winniman
Explorer
Explorer
If the reason you are not changing balls is because you hate trying to get the ball off the drawtube, just buy another drawtube for the other ball. Those balls are all but impossible to remove. I have a different drawtube for every ball. I have at least 8 or 10 different ones for different trailers we own. Some need a drop, some are raised. 2", 1 7/8, 2 5/16, pintle hitches. Do yourself a favour, and do the safe thing. Just get another drawtube. Then all you have to do is pull a pin to change it. Cheers.

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks folks. I like the shop rag idea. Great site!

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
MFL has the best suggestion. Put a heavy shop rag on the ball. With adequate tongues weight you will be good to go for short distances. Be sure to use safety chains and breakaway cable just in case.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
I think it would be safe at low speed on flat ground, for that short distance. A simple trick some use, is to put a heavy rag over the 2" ball to fill the gap, when clamping the hitch to smaller ball.

Jerry

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
ETrailer says โ€œnoโ€ and so do I.

https://www.etrailer.com/question-355065.html
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer
As long as it's a 2" ball mount rated for at least 5k pounds, you can probably move it around the yard with that no matter how heavy your beast trailer is.