cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV MAX LOADS & Weights Calculator

Songbirds
Explorer
Explorer
I am searching for an EXCEL Website or EXCEL File for RV'ers. No matter, if you have a Class A, B, C, or Trailer, at any time. A person hitting the roads should do some Calculations.

So I'm asking is there a website to input the numbers: Vehicle curb weights, Fuel, Passenger weights, Holding water, GVWR, GCWR, UVW, etc.

This is to understand the max load of the RV, before hitting the road? Would anyone know of an RV Calculator for working all of this prior to a trip?
2021 Mercedes-Benz Sprinter Van, showing six tires down, 3400XD, V6, 7-Speed Automatic 24FL, 170-WB, 24'-3", Coachmen Galleria w/Li3, "Next ROAD TRIP" to where?
8 REPLIES 8

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Songbirds wrote:
I am searching for an EXCEL Website or EXCEL File for RV'ers. No matter, if you have a Class A, B, C, or Trailer, at any time. A person hitting the roads should do some Calculations.

So I'm asking is there a website to input the numbers: Vehicle curb weights, Fuel, Passenger weights, Holding water, GVWR, GCWR, UVW, etc.

This is to understand the max load of the RV, before hitting the road? Would anyone know of an RV Calculator for working all of this prior to a trip?

Hmmm.. I am thinking that if you are this close to your max weight that it is time to start re-evaluating every item in your rig and removing the excess unused or seldom used items..

The first time I RVed I loaded everything but the kitchen sink, before the second trip, removed every item that we didn't use the first trip and haven't added much if any at all since then.. Heck, I even took 4 bins of firewood, burnt half a bin, now carry one bin of fire wood.. First trip took most of my tools, second trip bought small toolbox filled it with basic few wrenches, screw drivers and small ratchet set..

Maybe a different story if you are fulltiming and have no other place to store your items but in reality for the most part the average RV owner can easily toss 50% of the stuff they drag around and never miss it..

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't think there is a simple one size fits all calculator. There are too many issues involved. First what weight are you starting with? If you start with the actual dry weight for your specific RV, you have a chance. Quite often potential buyers are looking at manufacturer's "specs". They often do not include accessories and you need to read and study the fine print if it is available. You need to add in the weight for all of the manufacturer's accessories and any accessories you might add such as upgraded mattress, extra batteries, solar, generator, etc, etc. Next you need to add the weight for personal items which I would define to include bedding, towels, clothing, cooking gear, hobby stuff, laptops, tools, cleaning supplies and heaviest of all, food and drinks. New RVers typically underestimate these weights by a long, long way. It is easy to get to a 1000# not counting extras such as bikes and carrying racks, yard furniture, BBQ.

If you want a formula I can only list the major concerns: manufacturer accessories, upgrades and accessories you add including vehicle mods, 8# for every gallon of liquids, roughly 1000# for personal items, weight of passengers if that pertains to you RV. For trailers you will also need to estimate tongue weight and make sure the tow vehicle is sufficient in that regard.

There is one other safety/weight related item I really need to mention and that is tire load capacity. Be sure you have quality tires. Many manufacturers seem to be installing cheap, China bombs instead of quality tires. Next be sure your tires are properly inflated at all times. Finally realize that tires will dry rot when not in use. In fact they dry rot quicker when not used regularly. Plan on replacing tires every 5 years regardless of wear.

Songbirds
Explorer
Explorer
Songbirds wrote:
First thanks for the website link, truly OUTSTANDING, but appears to only address Trailers and NOT Motorhomes. But then I could have missed something as I think on the site PAYLOAD ESTIMATE seems to address what I'm searching for. I will need to work with it a bit as to my RV GVWR, CCC, and so on. But truly thank You as you look like you have nailed it all down. Thank you so much.:)

The Above is my old first reply, and I believe we spoke on the phone years ago about this.

I would like to say hello, again and truly thank you for this fine tool. Now if you can get them all into a handheld calculator, As your charts each have their own gift to give. Truly, it has been a while. I have returned to this post more than a few times and really like the others you have inside the planner.
2021 Mercedes-Benz Sprinter Van, showing six tires down, 3400XD, V6, 7-Speed Automatic 24FL, 170-WB, 24'-3", Coachmen Galleria w/Li3, "Next ROAD TRIP" to where?

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
Songbirds wrote:
First thanks for the website link, truly OUTSTANDING, but appears to only address Trailers and NOT Motorhomes. But then I could have missed something as I think on the site PAYLOAD ESTIMATE seems to address what I'm searching for. I will need to work with it a bit as to my RV GVWR, CCC and so on. But truly thank You as you look like you have nailed it all down. Thank you so much.:)

You're right- it all started with trailers. Actually started with a couple of simple estimators and then I added a couple of more tools. I was just working on a couple of different things last night.

But I could totally add something for motorhome owners. Taking the payload estimate tool and skipping the trailer part. Just sort of a "you'll be over/under or you'll have XXX lbs left of CCC".
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

Songbirds
Explorer
Explorer
ependydad wrote:
I donโ€™t have anything like that now on towingplanner.com but if you want to give a list of fields and how they relate, I can probably get something put together.

----------------------

I was wondering if the following weights in your Towingplanner would be helpful to Trailer haulers, as well as Class A, B. and C owners.

Water Weight =
A gallon of water 8. Pounds ____ + Total Capacity ______ = Total Water Weight =_______

Diesel Weight =
A gallon of Diesel 7. Pounds _______ + Total Capacity _______=Total Weight =______
A U.S. gallon contains 3.79 liters. Therefore, a gallon of diesel fuel weighs 3.2245 kilograms, or 7.1089 pounds.

Gas Weight =
A gallon of Gas 6. Pounds ___ + total Capacity____= Total Gas Weight _________

As the above was the only thing I did not find checking over your site. Trust me I will be using and recommending your site.

Songbirds
Explorer
Explorer
First thanks for the website link, truly OUTSTANDING, but appears to only address Trailers and NOT Motorhomes. But then I could have missed something as I think on the site PAYLOAD ESTIMATE seems to address what I'm searching for. I will need to work with it a bit as to my RV GVWR, CCC and so on. But truly thank You as you look like you have nailed it all down. Thank you so much.:)

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
I donโ€™t have anything like that now on towingplanner.com but if you want to give a list of fields and how they relate, I can probably get something put together.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

Songbirds
Explorer
Explorer
Songbirds wrote: