Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: What else does your truck do?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> What else does your truck do?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
burningman

Seattle, WA USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/14/19 05:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’ve always thought part of the reason to have a truck camper is because you already have a truck anyway.
From reading here I’ve gotten the impression a lot of people buy a truck to do nothing but carry a camper.
Is that really common? Seems like a heck of an expensive way to have an RV!

Question Two is about the ol’ hot topic, payload rating numbers.
I understand trucks very thoroughly, it’s just a fundamental one; why is it that only camper hauling people are so concerned about payload sticker ratings, when it seems no one else is?
Here’s an example, one of my own pickups doing other work.
This is my Dodge dually with two 3000 pound sacks of 5/8-minus gravel in the back. On the scale the rear axle weighed right about 10,000 (that canopy is heavy too). That puts every tire below it’s rating and they’re only 235/85-16s. The Dana 80 axle has an 11,000 rating by Dana, In fact, F450 Fords used to use the very same Dana 60 front/Dana 80 rear combo. This truck has done this for 20 years. I pulled the rear hubs and bearings recently to have a look, they’re the originals and are in fine shape.
If you look at the so-called ratings for a ‘99 Dodge 3500, it says it can’t do this, yet it clearly can.
Where I work, one tons routinely haul this or more every day. I couid take lots of similar photos of others. Nobody using these trucks for work worries about it.

[image]

2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

[email protected]

Vermont

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/14/19 05:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JMHO but I hear you. Bought my truck to haul gravel, fire wood, other stuff. Then bought a cheap 5th wheel, 18k gvwr. All the 5th wheel people said I had to buy a dually. Now I have an igloo 9.5, 3500 pounds wet ready to go. Over the scale I am 800 pounds over my gvwr but 30000 miles, no issues. Truck is registered for 12500 and front and rear axles are under as well as the tires but the "experts" still critique. Some people just have too much time. Go camping and ignore the noise.??

Shawn
2013 Ford F350 6.7 CCLB Ruby Red SRW, sway bar, Bilsteins, etc
2007 Cyclone toyhauler, 18,000 GVWR
Northstar Igloo 9.5
https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-2J3zF6J/0/M/i-2J3zF6J-M.jpg
US Army retired

Chris Bryant

Arden, North Carolina

View Profile

Posted: 09/14/19 06:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My truck had a 45kw Onan in the back, along with 4 follow spotlights. Early 80s 350, 165 hp. I totaled 19,500 lbs, about 5,000 lbs over gcvw.

[image]

-- Chris Bryant

Lwiddis

Near Annett’s Mono Village, Bridgeport, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/14/19 06:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IMO the “line” between hard use of your truck and abuse and between safe operation and endangering others is hard to determine. I choose to be safe and stay within specs. Ask your insurance agent what he/she thinks about overloading. At some point overloading becomes “reckless” (or “gross”) negligence and your insurance maximums won’t be enough.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

zigzagrv

Nazareth, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/14/19 07:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Long, long time ago (50 years) when I was building my house, I was in need of cement. Just so happened, my brother's son-in-law worked at a local cement plant. He called and told my brother they had had a spill and I could have as much of the spilled cement as I wanted. My brother had a 1953 1/4 ton Chevy pickup with a six banger, so off to the cement plant. We loaded 23 80 pound bags (around a ton) into the truck and off we went. The rear of the truck was very low and the front was pointing skyward. My brother remarked how the steering felt like power steering as we went the 5 miles to my place. Many years later, he sold the truck and it was still going strong.

Ron

2003 Gulf Stream Ultra Supreme 33'
F53 Class A
Master Tow dolly
Toyota RAV4

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 09/14/19 07:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well years back when we were TC users my trucks also had to pull heavy GN stock trailers...dot registered GN flatdeck trailers/GN/bumper pull enclosed trailers.....boat trailers.....haul hay.....deliver firewood.....normal farm and ranch stuff and loan them the kids/family because they didn't have a truck.
My trucks did and still do double and triple duties although we don't have a TC at this time.

Q#2...Having owned three different TC years ago I still look in on the TC forum to keep up with changes which are many. Most TC owners over here have a much better grasp of a trucks actual capabilities per mfg mechanical specs and understand how to find and read the vehicle mfg website sources that show the mechanical sameness or differences in each size truck.
JMO but the 5th wheel and TT forums have the most payload sticker weight cop types mainly because many are newbs and have never owned a truck before so they bit into the payload sticker or trucks gross weight minus gvwr = payload numbers.....and completely ignore the fact that the new higher gvwr payload sticker numbers, in many cases, will and has exceeded a tire/wheel load or rear suspension ratings.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 09/14/19 08:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

burningman wrote:

Question Two is about the ol’ hot topic, payload rating numbers.
I understand trucks very thoroughly, it’s just a fundamental one; why is it that only camper hauling people are so concerned about payload sticker ratings, when it seems no one else is?

Exactly..but the internet is addictive and has had me weigh my rig for the first time ever owning a pickup..Just because I saw it on the internet..It was kinda fun though playing on the scales again..

A Class C makes way more sense if a guy is never going to use his pickup for anything but hauling a TC..

I haul my Yamaha Rhino and mostly firewood in my pickup but use it sometimes to help move stuff or go to the dump..I have never been without a pickup ever until I went Class C and sold my 3/4 ton pickup..Huge mistake for me and my ways...Gotta have a pickup in this area..

Sometimes I wonder about things I see here also,like buying one battery that cost more than a brand new Honda inverter generator or solar panels and all the stuff that goes with it that are very costly..

Times and the internet has definitely changed the way people camp.They used to call camping roughing it,not anymore.."Laughing"

1994 F-350 DRW /460/k&n intake /415# torque/lance 9.6/Engel compressor fridge/3 gr 27 batteries/Honda 2k/Honda 3K/WH Camo 2250/Reese solid bar extension/Buddy heater/3 inverters//Happi Jack tie downs /Firestone bags/Yamaha Rhino/Winch and Lockers

DutchmenSport

Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/14/19 09:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm not a truck camper, but to answer the first question from my perspective..."Yes". We purchased the biggest, baddest, most expensive truck we could afford for the sole purpose of towing a trailer. Now that we have a 5er, I'm glad we made that decision. I have no other need for a pick-up truck than to tow the trailer. Expensive, well ... you simply can't put a price on "priceless!"

FYI, I've had a utility trailer and hitches on everything I've owned for the sole purpose of pulling the utility trailer to carry anything that would fit in the bed of a pick-up truck, and maybe more, not having to worry about scratches and dents and dirt.

We debated a LONG time about a 1 ton truck and trailer/5er opposed to a motor home, and the truck and trailer combination made most sense, although financially, they came out, about the same. No need for my truck, except as a tow vehicle, strictly for RVing. And it does get used as a secondary daily driver now.

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 09/14/19 09:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had 2 of those sacks on my new F350.
Sacks are good as I don't trash the paint job [emoticon]
I had truck in my business all the time, so when boys moved out of the house and city chased me away with my bus - TC was the best and the cheapest solution.
Now I don't need truck anymore (for 2 times a year I do - I can always rent) but I really enjoy new truck comfort, navigation and 440HP.
Fact is that getting Sprinter B class looks tempting, but those are costly

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 09/14/19 10:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pull horse trailer, utiltiy trailer and boat, besides a travel trailer.
sleep in it. Haul camping equipment for car camping. Haul rafts and canoes for boat trips. Haul landscape equipment. Haul logging equipment. Haul lumber.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> What else does your truck do?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.