Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: What else does your truck do?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> What else does your truck do?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
mbloof

Beaverton, OR

View Profile

Posted: 09/14/19 10:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With my last truck/camper, the camper would spend 95% of the time on the truck. (I have a car for a daily driver) While the camper was almost always on the truck, it was easy enough to drop the camper if I needed the truck for other things. Likely 25% of the time while camping I'd unload the camper.

Fast forward to today and different truck and camper while the new combination is not as easy to load up, I find that I have less need for a truck other than something to haul the camper with.

While some might say that in my situation a different type of RV might make more sense, it comes down to features that my current setup has that would be difficult to replace with a single unit.

- How many motor homes (of any class) have the ground clearance of a modern truck?
- How many motor homes have 4X4?
- How many motor homes are powered by a 6.7L PSD?

I could go on...

Then there is the camper itself. I have a Northern Lite. How many motor homes are built like that? Have full queen size beds over the cab?

I think it would be difficult at any cost to replicate the features of my truck and camper with a motor home.

BTW: These days the camper lives 100% of the time on the truck.

- Mark0.

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 09/14/19 10:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

They say picture is worth 1000 words

[image]
[image]Click For Full-Size Image.

work2much

Jackson Ca

View Profile

Posted: 09/14/19 11:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Now that I am retired from construction the only other use my truck gets is for home repair type of stuff or helping friends. I have a Warner clamp on lumber rack that helps move long materials. I have carried well over the GVWR in my trucks. 2 pallets of 60 pound quikrete and many bags of sand would be well over 7000 pounds.

On my 3/4 ton work trucks they were overloaded more. Just the 2 knack boxes, generator, compressor etc would max them out and then the roof rack loaded with lumber. Trucks really do a lot more than the tale of the door sticker.

I see some veterans of truck campers fret over GVWR but for the most part it seems like TC noobs on FB with little experience who shout the loudest about the sky falling.

Now that I don't need a truck aside from small jobs (which I could rent a truck for) I have considered going with a motorhome type set up but so far I have been hard pressed to find something that is as capable off road, as roomy inside and does't cost double or more what our current set up has (which are still not as roomy inside).

We are considering at some point going to a smaller SRW SB truck with a flatbed and an alaskan flatbed bed camper as well as a small 5th wheel so we could travel in a couple different ways for different trips leaving one rig at home. Right now though a TC even if the truck is underutilized when the camper is off seems to be our ideal rig.

2017 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.
2018 Host Mammoth. 1080 Watts solar. 600 AH usable LFP battery. Magnum 2800 Watt inverter.
2020 Grand Design Solitude 2930RL 2400 watts solar. 600ah lithium. Magnum 4000 watt inverter.

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 09/14/19 12:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Off-roading has lot of discussion here, but as was already pointed, no matter how lifted 4WD you will have with no matter how small TC - you will not go rock climbing.
For me if I can go into forest roads with 10% grade, I will be happy and Sprinter vans will do that just fine.
Worse come to worse - I can always mount front winch on the van.
You can buy Sprinter 4x4 too, but be ready for sticker shock.

HadEnough

Traveling. Always.

View Profile

Posted: 09/14/19 12:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Chris Bryant wrote:

My truck had a 45kw Onan in the back, along with 4 follow spotlights. Early 80s 350, 165 hp. I totaled 19,500 lbs, about 5,000 lbs over gcvw.

[image]

I’m surprise no one has asked this yet. Why do you have a 45 kW generator in that thing? LOL

Heading down to slab city and looking to sell power to people? Little side business? Unofficial campground?

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 09/14/19 12:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Carries lumber like this picture (all of the wood for a larger ground level deck), but now also carries firewood. Goes to the dump. Moved a lot of furniture including pulling a trailer for a lot of trips. Going to pick up a couple of cords later today, one in the truck and one in the utility trailer.

[image]

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NEOK

Oklahoma

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/14/19 01:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've used our truck as a second vehicle to haul everything from our boat to groceries and construction materials while building a new house. It is also used to carry our truck camper.

neok
2009 GMC 25000HD Short Bed 6.0 Gas Engine Crew Cab SLT 4x4
2008 Bigfoot 15C9.5FS
Torklift Talons, Fastguns, Stableload Quick Disconnects, Superhitch & SuperTruss

Chris Bryant

Arden, North Carolina

View Profile

Posted: 09/14/19 01:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

HadEnough wrote:

I’m surprise no one has asked this yet. Why do you have a 45 kW generator in that thing? LOL

Heading down to slab city and looking to sell power to people? Little side business? Unofficial campground?

Worked for a small circus, the genset ran the lighting. It was set sideways with another door on the other side. Had an industrial Ford 300 straight six.

Also had gypsie boxes for the 10-12 RVs to plug into at night.

Finally went to a Ford cube van with a 460. Way nicer to drive, lol.

-- Chris Bryant

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 09/14/19 04:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My 2500 HD goes up and down the freeway totally empty 99% of the time.

I bought it to carry a camper and its my only vehicle. I average about 30,000 miles/yr.

Kenny
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0L 4wd
Regular cab. The best looking trucks.
1995 Lance 945 Onan QG 2500 LP
6580 lb truck 10540 fully loaded

happy2rv

Huntsville, AL, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/14/19 04:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

burningman wrote:

I’ve always thought part of the reason to have a truck camper is because you already have a truck anyway.
From reading here I’ve gotten the impression a lot of people buy a truck to do nothing but carry a camper.
Is that really common? Seems like a heck of an expensive way to have an RV!

Everyone has their own reasons. I would tend to agree, from my perspective, with your line of thought. Barring what I would call fringe cases like the extreme 4x4 RV, personally I would think if you only used the truck for the camper, one could do better with a class C both for cost and layout. I've never owned a truck camper and likely never will. But everyone sees things from a different perspective. I'm not sure, again barring special circumstances, how common it is to buy a truck just to mount a truck camper.

burningman wrote:

Question Two is about the ol’ hot topic, payload rating numbers.... it’s just a fundamental one; why is it that only camper hauling people are so concerned about payload sticker ratings, when it seems no one else is?

I think the operative word here is seems. It's an essential characteristic of towing and much of the forums is devoted to towing. If you finnd a forum unrelated to RVs focused on towing, you will likely see lots of discussion regarding payloads and tow ratings. If you go to rent a trailer from U-Haul, they will definitely ask you what vehicle you are towing with and will refuse to rent to you if your vehicle isn't "up to the task".

As to why it seems others aren't concerned in every day life, if you've spent much time on the forums, as it appears from the question you have, you're no doubt aware that many of the posters here don't really consider ratings to mean much. Many get away with driving grossly overloaded vehicles every day. Some don't. I won't tell anyone what they should or shouldn't do with respect to weight ratings. I will say it's a bad day when you don't get away with it. Not "getting away" with it can mean anything from getting a ticket to causing a fatal accident. I'm not at all suggesting that 1, 100, or even 1000 pounds over weight will necessarily lead to loss of control or any other specific consequences. I will say that there is a point of overload that will lead to those consequences and I don't have the data or skill set to determine what that point of overload is.

burningman wrote:

What else does your truck do?

Getting back to the central question of your topic. I've owned several pickups. Only the most recent was bought with any thought of towing. All but my first pickup, including my current one, have been my daily drivers. To me, that's one of the advantages of trailer vs motor home. The investment in the pickup is something I use every day. Will the pickup have a shorter life than a motor home? Probably, but again I use it every day. Our motor home sat in the driveway around 9-10 months out of the year, unfortunately. My truck definitely doesn't. As for what do I use it for that I couldn't use a car or SUV for, that's a different question. I do my own handy work / repairs / projects. I use the truck with some regularity to haul wood/supplies, but 90% of the time I could get by with a car or SUV. After my last truck, I owned an SUV for several years and I missed my truck.

* This post was edited 09/14/19 04:51pm by happy2rv *

2018 Forrest River Salem Hemisphere 282RK - 2017 RAM 1500 TV

Previous RVs and TOADS
2004 Fleetwood Bounder 32W on WH W20
2000 Four Winds 5000 21RB
1986 27' Allegro
TOADS
2005 Ford Ranger XLT 2WD
2004 Suzuki Aerio
1988 Chevrolet Sprint

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> What else does your truck do?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.