cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Towing small utility trailer behind 5ver

On_theProwl
Explorer
Explorer
Can someone provide a link for what state's this is legal in? I've searched and can't seem to find reliable info. Alabama specifically.
2016 Jayco Eagle 325BHDS
2014 Ram 2500 CC 4x4 6.7 Cummins
21 REPLIES 21

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
4x4ord wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
"Your MC trailer would be more difficult than the boat. I think I would be able to back it up behind a fiver without too much difficulty... I'd need a camera on the back of the fiver pointing down at the second trailer."

That camera sure would make it MUCH easier. Short trailers are very difficult to back no matter how good you are.

Maybe if you put some kind of fold out arm at the front and rear of your mc trailer so you could see it in your mirror while backing up you might have a chance.

Itโ€™s so easy to raise off ball and simply roll the trailer where I want since I have a wheel on the crank jack.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cummins12V98 wrote:
"Your MC trailer would be more difficult than the boat. I think I would be able to back it up behind a fiver without too much difficulty... I'd need a camera on the back of the fiver pointing down at the second trailer."

That camera sure would make it MUCH easier. Short trailers are very difficult to back no matter how good you are.

Maybe if you put some kind of fold out arm at the front and rear of your mc trailer so you could see it in your mirror while backing up you might have a chance.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cummins12V98 wrote:

B&W Companion

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cummins12V98 wrote:

If the driver did not have a spotter I doubt it could have been done. My point is my MC Trailer is MUCH shorter than the Boat Trailer in vid making it VERY hard to see.

Your MC trailer would be more difficult than the boat. I think I would be able to back it up behind a fiver without too much difficulty... I'd need a camera on the back of the fiver pointing down at the second trailer.
B&W Companion

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
On theProwl wrote:
Can someone provide a link for what state's this is legal in? I've searched and can't seem to find reliable info. Alabama specifically.

AS others say those clicky states websites aren't accurite in many cases. Or they don't tell the whole story.
Having towed for a living in a eight state area I found the only law enforcment departments that had the experience to answer combination/weights questions was a local state troop post. Either drop by or give them a call. The dispatcher can get you in contact with one of the posts certified size and weights officers to answer your questions.
Not all state troopers are certified size and weights. Same with about all city/county leo's. They, like anyone, have a opinion on the subject.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
hotpepperkid wrote:

Just because you cant. Farmers do that kind of **** every day

If the driver did not have a spotter I doubt it could have been done. My point is my MC Trailer is MUCH shorter than the Boat Trailer in vid making it VERY hard to see.

hotpepperkid
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:

Impressive, let's see him try that with my Kendon MC Trailer.

Just because you cant. Farmers do that kind of **** every day
2019 Ford F-350 long bed SRW 4X4 6.4 PSD Grand Designs Reflection 295RL 5th wheel

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
spud1957 wrote:
Dick_B wrote:
Good luck trying to back up!

Not a problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-3_Ry7s4yg

Impressive, let's see him try that with my Kendon MC Trailer.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Dick_B wrote:

Three years NW WA to SoCal and back with ZERO issues. RV parks, truck Stops and RestAreas are all we need along the way.

jodeb720
Explorer
Explorer
On the Prowl -

A few years ago, I wanted to put a rack on the back of my 5er - and have a wheel that touched the ground (in CA). After reading the CA Dept. Of Transportation guidelines, and asking my local police, I was directed to the governing enforcement body - which was the California Highway Patrol.

For Alabama, you need to find out which enforcment body is responsible for understanding the way the laws are written and enforce it on behalf of the state.

What I found was the DMV was wrong, the local Police Dept, would ignore it, but the CHP understood it and were able to explain it in English from an enforcement perspective

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
I towed a "swivelwheel" type trailer for a few years and never checked with the DMV where I was going. I figured if I got stopped, I would be inconvenienced for a while, but no serious harm was going to be done. And backing up was never an issue.

FWIW I was never stopped, and I traveled through, and stopped in, several states that don't allow double towing. YMMV.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
Dick_B wrote:

Why is that the first thing people go to?

Motorhomes towing cars 4-down and on dollies can't back-up. That's a vast majority of MH owners.

Why isn't every motorhome thread littered with "Good luck trying to back up!"?
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

discovery4us
Explorer
Explorer
Clear as mud is correct. When I double towed I spent time asking the CHP, the CA DMV, and my local law enforcement and got three different answers. I have also contacted a local traffic accident attorney and my insurance and got two more different answers.

Because of what I wanted to take with me I decided to tow doubles and had many, many, many incident free miles and it allowed me to enjoy camping and OHV at the same time. Over buy/build your hitches, good braking on all trailers, and good lights on both trailers. I did find myself traveling a bit slower, being picky over stops (this went away the more I towed), and I tended to preplan a lot more than I do now.